Ambush (Newt)

The night you got out of the Maze was, to put it shortly, intense. Mixed feelings were swarming you and threatening to close their hands around your neck. Was escaping a good thing? Did it mean a lifetime of questions and more tests? You felt both freed and newly trapped at the same instant.

Arriving at WICKED was something you didn't know you were going to regret. As soon as the word spread that you'd arrived, hands gripped you and tugged you along to a different room, one with only girls. You were stunned at the contrast from just hours before, when you were surrounded by only boys.

You quickly met the girls and made friends with a couple who tried to relax you. Their names were Harriet and Sonya.

***

"Well where is she?" Newt asked, annoyed, as Minho reassured him you were probably fine.

Minho shrugged. "I don't know man. This place has everyone confused. Just wait a bit and we'll ask someone okay?"

Newt stared ahead for a moment and nodded. "Alright."

Then it was lunchtime, and Newt was determined to find you. He marched down every isle of teenagers that were there and turned the shoulders of every girl. After what seemed like a lifetime of searching, he finally came to the conclusion that you were there. You were just gone.

Thomas jogged up behind the frantic boy and put a hand on his shoulder. "Did you find her?"

Newt shook his head and breathed deeply. "No. She's not anywhere in here."

"Well, uh. Okay how about this?" Thomas says after eyeing something behind Newt. "What if we ask Ratman over there? Maybe he knows."

"Yeah maybe, but why would he tell us anything?" Newt crossed his arms and glanced over his shoulder.

Thomas shrugged. "We've got nothing else."

Thomas jogged over to the stout man and Newt followed, biting his lip anxiously.

Ratman smiled, as if he knew what they were going to ask already.

"What can I help you with, boys?" He folded his arms and raised an eyebrow.

"Where is she?" Newt asked abruptly and followed Ratmans pose of folded arms.

"Who?" He replied with a sly grin.

"Y/N!" Newt raised his voice and took a step forward which Thomas stopped by pulling him back.

"Ah the girl?" Ratman questioned. "Yes I remember. She was transferred to another installation."

Newts heart felt like someone was squeezing it. "Why?"

Ratman unfolded his arms and held them out in a way to say he didn't know. "I guess some start their 'new lives' sooner than others."

Thomas started dragging Newt back and newt fumed with rage. "Don't you bloody lie to me! What did you do with her?"

Thomas kept towing Newt back to the lunch table full of their eyeing friends. They didn't need to ask what that was about.

Newt is slammed down on the seat by Thomas and he takes a seat next to him. "We'll find her okay? We will."

Newt lets out a deep breath he'd been holding. "Okay."

***

Days, maybe weeks even, passed until they finally met a man named Jorge and a girl named Brenda. The Gladers were skeptical of them at first but after they helped them escape from WICKEDs men, they trusted them completely. Jorge was leading them, in a sort of way.

They drove in a car they stole from a man Jorge knew, and the Gladers were completely fine with that. They weren't very fond of him anyways.

But then they got ambushed.

"What's happening?" Aris shouted to everyone.

"They're shooting at us! Everyone get down!" Thomas yelled.

Newt pushed himself against a tire of a rusted Jeep and made sure everyone else had somewhere to hide too.

Thomas held the bomb in his hand, prepared to throw it. That's when they heard the gun cock.

"Drop it," a female voice said. Thomas turned slowly to see a blond head behind the bandana she wore over her mouth. She wasn't the only one, in fact. There were four others behind her.

Newt turned too, and saw that Aris had stood and was taking steps towards the girls.

"Aris," Newt warned.

Aris didn't take notice of his warning and stepped in view of the girls. The blond one immediately lowered the gun and removed her bandana from her mouth. "Aris?"

Aris nodded and ran to hug the girls. He knew them.

Once their reunion was over, they called off the other snipers that had been shooting at them.

Newt lowered his guard a little. Maybe they could be trusted.

And then, that's when you stepped out.

"Newt?" You ask, your voice muffled by the bandana. You unhook it and take a step towards Newt.

Newt squints to you with a hard expression. He searches your eyes as you remove the piece of cloth from your face. But he didn't need to see your mouth to know it was you.

"Y/N?" He says quietly, recognizing your eyes. His expression softens and he walks towards you quickly.

Before you could answer, his arms were wrapped around you tightly. You do the same to him. You were sure you were never going to see him again, but now...

"I-I've been looking everywhere for you. Thought maybe you'd turned into one of those bloody Cranks and-and I couldn't lose you like that Y/N."

You pull away to look into his eyes. "You never lost me, Newt."

His heart picks up the same pace and you were sure yours had stopped completely.

"I was going to tell you before we got out of the Glade," Newt says slowly.

"Tell me what?" You ask with furrowed eyebrows.

"That I love you."

A smile spreads across your face and you look to your shoes and back to his eyes. A small chuckle escapes your lips and you nod.

"Why are you laughing?" Newt asks gently, preparing for the worst.

"Because I was going to tell you the same thing."

With that, you press your lips to his and he holds you tighter in his arms.