Friends (Newt)

You grumble with annoyance as you push the shovel into the ground. You pull the dirt out and put a seed in its place.

Newt sighs. "No, Y/N. It's too deep, the seed will suffocate."

You close your eyes tightly and force a smile. "Then you do it, Newt," you growl.

"No you need to learn how."

You clench and unclench your fist. "Fine."

You were trying not to let Newt get the best of you, no matter how annoying he was. You were trying your hardest, couldn't he see that?

You move to the other row of unplanted soil and push your shovel down again, making it shallower this time. When you pull your shovel out, it hits into the manure bucket behind you and it tips, throwing the manure everywhere except on the soil.

"Y/N! That was the last of the manure! Are you trying to mess everything up?"

You throw your shovel to the side and step up to him. "I don't know, are you trying to be a shuck face?"

Newts cheeks heat up and he steps closer to you. By now a couple Gladers attention has been caught and they were watching closely.

"I'm not sure what your bloody problem is, but I hope you get it figured out," Newt says loudly.

You laugh. "My problem? You. You're my problem Newt! You're always getting after me for stupid things."

Newt held out his arms. "Well do you want me to congratulate you? I'm not sure killing half of our food supply is such a good thing to celebrate by why not!"

"Oh don't over exaggerate! It's not like I threw it to the Grievers, no I just buried the stupid seeds too deep."

"What's the difference?" Newts eyebrows lower and you narrow your eyes.

"You know what, Newt-"

Alby walks up to both of you yelling and immediately has Gally and Minho haul you both off to the Slammer.

"Oh come on, Alby. She's the one that started it!"

"Whatever! I just knocked over some manure. You're the one that started yelling." You take a heaving breath and fold your arms. You push yourself to one side of the Slammer and Newts on the other.

"Work it out, shanks. Or you may be in there a while," Alby says calmly and walks off.

"Thanks a lot," Newt mutters.

Neither of you say anything else for an entire hour. You both sat in complete silence and when Gally came to check on you, he knew from one look that nothing had changed.

"Come on guys, this is a bunch of klunk. Just say you're sorry to each other and be friends okay? It's that simple." Gally rested his arm on one of the bars of the Slammer and waited.

You gave Newt one look and he returned it with the same discomfort. Gally sighed. "Of course. I'll be back in another hour, I guess."

Once Gally leaves, you take a deep breath and rest your head against the cold stone. Your stomach growls loudly and you stiffen. Had Newt heard that?

You shift your gaze to him. He was staring at you with a little concern. "Didn't you eat this morning?"

"No, I had to hurry to the Gardens because you made me redo the vines. But why do you care?" You stare up at the ceiling of the Slammer.

"Y/N, I don't hate you, you know."

Your attention turns to Newt and you stare at him with a slightly parted mouth. His look was sincere but hard to believe. "Really? Because everything you say makes me think otherwise."

"No," Newt sighs and scoots to your side of the Slammer. He was around a foot away from you now. "Look, it's like this. You've been here for two months, yeah?"

You nod and watch him skeptically.

"I'm trying to help you-" Newt begins.

You let out a snort. "How?"

"By teaching you. Did you know that you tied the vines too tight this morning? They would've died." Newt rests his hands on his knees and waits for your reply.

"Okay, maybe that's true. But you don't have to yell at me for every little thing I do wrong, Newt. Just show me how to do it correctly instead of leading me blindly." You take a deep breath and Newt nods.

"Fine, yeah. I'll do that. I'm sorry I yelled at you so much. I know you're trying."

You look at him and your gaze softens. "And I'm sorry for not listening as well as I should. And for calling you a shuck face."

Newt laughs a little. "Are we good then?"

You nod. "Yeah. We are. Friends?"

You hold out your hand and Newt takes it. "Friends."

At dinner time, you and Newt even sit at the same table. Alby gives Gally a satisfied nod and they both leave you alone, sure that you had actually settled the problem.

You talk to Newt about things he liked, finding out that you had more in common than you thought. He asked you about silly things like your favorite color and favorite smell.

After an entire day with Newt, you finally went to bed for the first time that night feeling that maybe you'd actually have a friend in all of this. And surprisingly, maybe it'd be Newt.