Protective (Newt)

Newt took your hand in his and you immediately smile up to him. He was the only thing that made you happy in the Glade, and you knew you were lucky to have him. Ever since you'd both admitted your feelings to each other, things had just been...different. The days brighter, nights shorter, the faces friendlier. It took a couple weeks for you to realize what you were feeling was actually love. You loved Newt.

Except, this was your only mistake too. When you told all of this to Gally, his features hardened and you knew immediately you shouldn't have said anything.

"You can't see him anymore, Y/N." Gally states and stands from his chair.

You cross your arms. "Excuse me?"

Gally held out his hands in a open gesture. "I said you can't see him. Look, your my little sister, and I'm not going to let anyone hurt you. Especially not that shank."

You shook your head. "First off, Gally, I'm my own person and I think I can decide who I see or not. And second, you've known him for longer than I have! You know how kind he is, hard working, perfect..." You trail off.

Gally huffs. "That doesn't mean you two are perfect for each other. I'm sorry but it's really for the best."

And that was the end of the argument. No matter how much you yelled or pleaded back, Gally wouldn't say another word. His decision was final.

Telling Newt was the hardest. You hated his broken expression when he heard that Gally didn't trust him.

"What do we do? I-I can't just stop being around you, I mean, we're in a bloody concrete box for crying out loud." Newt pressed a hand to his temples and you take it in yours, calming him instantly.

"We'll find a way. Gally doesn't own me. We just have to be a little more careful or else Gally will probably do something he regrets."

Newts eyebrows furrow. "Like?"

"Convince Alby to put one of us in the Slammer or ban us from being together. Or say something stupid." You think for a moment. "Well more stupid than usual."

Newt chuckles and nods. "Okay."

***

Gally must've known you'd try to go behind his back, because he wouldn't let you out of his sight. Every moment he got, he'd keep you busy working or helping him with building. You caught him eyeing Newt multiple times too. How was this ever going to work?

After a full day of working with Gally, you sigh out of exhaustion and start to drag your feet to the Homestead. There was no time to see Newt tonight. If you missed any sleep, Gally would know from your sluggishness the next day.

You crawl into your bed and fall asleep instantly, wishing Newt was with you.

***

Two weeks. It's been two weeks since you'd even gotten to get a word out to Newt. Gally might as well have chained you to himself, because you never got to leave his side. Every time you thought there was nothing left you could possibly do to help, he'd find something.

"Y/N, I need you to sharpen the ax," he'd order.

"Y/N I need you to help me with sanding the wood," he'd list.

Y/N this, Y/N that, you never got a break. You and Newt merely cast longing glances to each other when you were positive Gally wasn't looking, which was rarely.