Worry (Newt)

The shrieks of the multiple Grievers could be heard from anywhere in the Glade. They were tearing through the Deadheads, destroying buildings and killing your friends. You wanted nothing more to rush out and fight back, but how could you? Scream at them? You had nothing.

You ran instead. Ran away from their horrible screaming and viscous attacks. You ran with Winston who was nearing the box. "Gally open up!"

The door the the Box flipped open just wide enough for the both of you to slip inside. Then it slammed shut and the three of you waited in complete silent terror.

Gally was crouched in one corner, staring out the top of the box as if waiting for anyone else to run up. He listened to every little sound, as you did, and flinched at the screams that weren't from Grievers.

You watched, with teary eyes, the fire from torches in the Glade. You watched the smoke and tried to block everything out. Couldn't you think about anything else? Anything?

But you couldn't. Newt seemed to be on every inch of your mind, never letting you relax. Was he alright? Alive? Did he need medical help? Where was he?

Were those his screams? Your breathing hitched and then you were breathing in too much without exhaling the same amount. Hyperventilating. You clenched and unclenched your hands in a way to try to relieve your worry, but instead they just started shaking and went ice cold.

Gally sensed your worry and saw your shaking hands. "Hey," he said in a low voice. "We're going to be fine, and so is he."

You nodded though you couldn't really bring yourself to believe it. You were grateful for his attempt to comfort you anyways. He'd always been your best friend, and even now, he didn't fail to try to make you feel better.

You just prayed that wherever he was, Newt was okay.

***

Newt listened to the screams that echoed through the Glade. Some were the Grievers and some were human. Newts stomach churned and he resisted the urge to empty it. Thomas stood next to him and peered around the medjacks hut where they were both standing.

"Thomas," Newt mumbled.

Thomas whipped around, spear in hand, ready to fight. Instead he found a pale Newt who was staring with shocked eyes back at him.

"What?" He whispered.

"Y/N. I need to find her. I have to protect her. She could be in danger and I-I can't live with myself if something happens." Newt peeked around his side of the medjacks hut and watched a shrieking Griever race past with needles and razor sharp blades pointed outwards.

"Don't be an idiot," Thomas says and draws Newts attention back.

"An idiot?" Newt asks with a surprised expression. "You think going after her makes me an idiot?"

"Yeah," Thomas replies. "I do. Cause then you're dead. And what happens when I have to explain to Y/N later that her boyfriend was killed by running into the middle of a Griever party, huh? You think that's real smart, Newt?"

"Well I can't just do nothing!" Newt whispered furiously.

"Yes you can! And you will. Look," Thomas pauses and puts a hand next to his ear. "Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Newt asked, partially annoyed now.

"Nothing. She's not crying, screaming, or yelling for help. The only sounds out there, Newt, are the shucking Grievers. You run out there and you're dead." Thomas grips his spear and looks at Newt with a serious expression.

Newt sighed, frustrated. "And what if she's already dead?"

Thomas breathes deeply and looks to his right and back. "She's not. And you know it. Now I need you to watch that side, while I watch this one, and make sure no stupid Griever comes over here, alright?"

Newt stared at Thomas for a moment before nodding and stepping to peer around the corner.

A tiring hour later, and much worrying from both you and Newt, the screams from the Grievers stop. Minho is the first to yell that it's safe to come out.

You climb out of the Box with Gallys help and Newt walks out from around the Medjacks hut.

You instantly start searching the place for Newt. It's hard to see from the smoke and debris, and you start to wonder if he even made it. What if he hadn't?

But then, he sees you and you see him. He breathes out a sigh of relief and you start to run towards him. He limps towards you quickly and you meet in the middle.

Your body slams into his and nearly knocks him over. Your arms wrap around his neck and his around your waist.

His hand finds the back of your head and his fingers curl into your hair. "I'm so glad you're okay," he says with a shaky voice.

You let out a dry laugh. "I was so worried..."

Newt buries his head in the crook of your neck and breathes deeply. Both of you didn't say anything more, just kept each other in your arms.

Finally when Newt pulled away from the embrace, he pressed his lips to yours quickly and you heard a groan from behind you.

"Ugh remind me not to separate them," Chuck laughed.

You just smiled against Newts lips, grateful that he wasn't anywhere else.