Trust (Newt)

Everything was spinning. Loud. Red. You couldn't breathe, couldn't remember. What was your name? Where were you? What was this metal box and why was it moving. So many questions.

You hold onto the side of a wooden box to keep you sitting upright. You squeezed your eyes shut in hopes that when you opened them, you'd be out of this nightmare. It didn't work.

"Please," you whimper to no one. "Make it stop!"

Maybe someone heard you, or maybe it was by luck, but the box came to a screeching halt and the red light above you flickered to green. You breathe heavily and try to get to your feet. There had to be some way out of-

Suddenly light fills the small area and you look up in surprise. Was there a door you missed?

Instead, you see that someone's opening the top of the box! You breathe harder. This was worse.

People are behind your so-called savior and they gasped when they saw you. What, were you looking that terrified?

When the person jumped down, you see that it's a boy. He was blonde and had big brown eyes. Eyes that made you feel like you could trust.

But you didn't. You pushed him away and denied his offering hand. You scrambled out of the box the same way he'd gotten in and when you see the concrete walls surrounding you inside some kind of forest, you nearly start to cry. Why so many containments?

"Hey, someone grab her!"

It was a boy who shouted and you look to see that there's only boys. No, no no no. This wasn't happening. They were going to hurt you, kill you! That had to be the reason you were the only girl. They'd killed the others.

You start sprinting away, towards a thick growth of trees. You ran as hard and fast as you could, never looking back. You didn't need to. You could hear the others behind you but it only pushed you faster.

Once you're well in the trees, you climb the nearest one to you. The boys would have a header time since they were clumsier, slower.

You reach the top of it and scare some birds out. The boys finally reach to where you were in the tree and one of them throws their hands up.

"Where could she go? The doors are already closed, she has to be here somewhere." He was Asian and had significantly good looking hair for his living conditions. How odd...

"I don't know. Well come look for her tomorrow morning before the Maze opens. Come on, I'm tired."

The other boys agreed with this one and nodded, following him back into the main part of this trapped place. Once their footsteps fade, you relax in the tree and slide down into a sitting position, your legs dangling over the tree branch. So this was your new home.

You frown. "Home sweet home."

***

Your head was resting against the tree and your legs straddled the tree limb. You only slept for an hour at a time at the most, jumping awake anytime you heard a branch snap or leaves shifting. But of course it was only animals.

This time when you woke up, something was different. Sunlight poked through the leaves above you and you panicked. They'd be searching for you now. You needed to hide better. You needed to-

Someone clears their throat and you look down slowly. The blonde haired boy who'd jumped in the box was below you, hands on his hips. He looked up to you with a small smile and waved.

"Uh, hi. Names Newt. I'm...I'm not going to hurt you. You can come down."

You were surprised by his soothing accent. You were sure none of the other boys you'd heard had one.