Different (Newt)

"Hah! Beat you again," you cheer and smirk at Minho. You race through the Maze doors into the Glade and Minho gives an exhausted sigh behind you.

"What? It's beginners luck." He put his hands on his knees and breathes heavily.

"Minho, I've been at this for two months. I'm not a beginner anymore."

"Slim it shank," Minho groans.

You smile to yourself anyways. Minho and you had been having a competition for the past week to see who could get their route in the Maze done faster and get to the Glade first. You'd won five out of the seven times. Yet Minho still wouldn't admit defeat, which you found funny.

Minho stood upright and spoke quickly. "Come on, let's go map our sections and then you can tell me all about how you cheated on your route today."

You followed Minho, fully planning to retaliate his last comment.

Newt watched you from the Gardens with a hopeless feeling in his heart. He wished he could be as close to you as Minho was, but he was nothing like Minho. He knew it wasn't reasonable to like you. Newt knew he had no chance with you, since you were way out of his league. So he just watched, cursing his heart for feeling such things. He was hoping this crush would soon pass, but, it was more than a crush...wasn't it?

Dinner time soon rolled around and you sat next to Minho and Gally on one side, with Newt, Thomas, and Chuck on the other side of the table. This is the group you usually had, and you liked it. It was comfortable and these were some of your closest friends.

"How was the Maze today, Y/N?" Gally asks with a mouthful of food.

"Interesting. Minho and I found a way out of here and left the Maze. But his guilty conscience made us turn back around because he wanted to take you guys with us."

Gally knew you were joking, but what else did he expect? "Wow, Y/N. You're getting as bad as Minho."

You shrug and take another bite of food. You were sure Minho would want to challenge you on that too. The sass trials. You sigh internally. He couldn't have his masculinity defeated by a girl.

Newt cast his gaze down and stared at his hands, not feeling very hungry. Watching you sit shoulder to shoulder with Minho and joke with him made Newt feel even more distant. If you were going to be with anyone, it would be Minho, wouldn't it?

You look at Newts downward gaze and chuckle. "Did you drop something, Newt?"

Newts attention snaps up to you and he shakes his head. "No, just thinking."

You furrow your eyebrows. Newt was someone you could never figure out. Different. He was very thoughtful, you knew that by the way he took care of you when you first arrived. He was hard working, responsible and way more mature than any of the other boys here. But there was something about him...something he wasn't saying. He always kept his thoughts to himself and you wished he would say them to you. He was so...alluring. You knew you had feelings for him but Newt wasn't like you. You didn't know how to talk to him like you did so easily with Minho. It was honestly intriguing and frustrating at the same time.

"Hey, Y/N," Gally caught your attention. You raised your eyebrows at him and waited for him to speak. "Greenie comes up tomorrow. Wrestle me?"

You chuckle. "You're on. But Minhos pride is sill hurt from last month when I beat him, so I'd give him another month, yeah?"

Gally laughed and Minho punched your shoulder playfully.

***

You were up late that night, walking around the Glade and doing checks as a Glader was picked to do every night. You made sure all the torches were out and everyone was in the Homestead. Everyone was nearly asleep in their hammocks except for...

A twig snapping behind you caught your attention. You spun around and squinted into the darkness. You took a step closer, not being able to see who or what was there.

Someone moves from behind a tree, startling you, and comes towards you quickly. Out of knee-jerk reaction, you press the person to the nearest tree and put your forearm against their chest before they can do anything.

"Woah! Hold on, Y/N. It's just me."

You didn't need to ask who it was before relaxing your arm and letting it fall to your side. The British accent they had gave them away.

"Newt what are you doing out here? You should be in the Homestead. You know, asleep?" You could make out a couple features of his face, like his eyes that shined from the moonlight and his golden hair that had a seemingly blue tint to it in this light.

"I-I couldn't sleep. I needed some air." He pushes a hand through his hair and leaves it disheveled which you found oddly attractive. You just wanted to play with it and curl a strand around your finger and-

"Let me guess, you were thinking too much?" you guess. You tried to interrupt your thoughts of his soft hair but it only worked a little.

"Actually, yeah."

"What about?" You lean against a tree and wait for his answer.

"You, mostly." Newt says it simply, as if it was no big deal.

"Me? Why?"

"Because I can't get you out of my bloody mind, Y/N," Newt pauses and so does your heart. "Look, I'm just gonna say it because I figure it won't make a difference anyways. I like you, Y/N. A lot. More like love, really. And I know you probably don't feel the same way because we're totally different but, it's just how I feel."

You're quiet before a small smile spreads across your face. Newt liked you? Well that was a huge relief, now that you realized it. You step closer and hear his breathing pick up. This makes you smirk and you press your lips to his.

Wow, you didn't realize how long you'd been waiting to do that.

Once you break the kiss, Newt thinks for a second. "I thought you liked Minho, though."

Your mouth drops open. "No! He's like a brother to me." You shudder. "Me and Minho? Eugh I'd rather be a Slopper for a week than even kiss him."

Newt let's out a loud laugh and stares into your eyes. You were so beautiful to him.

Now that he's admitted his feelings for you, a lot of things were clearer. You could actually understand him, you weren't as confused by his actions. Everything seemed to click. And you couldn't be happier.