Regrets (Minho)

You couldn't sleep some nights, so you usually took a walk. It was one of those nights. You sighed and pushed your way through the deadheads, making your way to the Runners hut. Minho usually stayed up late working in there, and you hope that's where he was tonight.

You walk a little further, knowing that you were close to the hut. But, instead, you stop mid-step and let your heart shatter and fall to the ground.

His mouth. It was on hers, and he wasn't pulling away.

"Minho?" You question with a shaking voice.

Your hurt voice cuts through the thick silence and you step out from behind a tree. Minho rips his lips off of Teresa's and stares at you with wide eyes.

"Y/N!" he exclaims. He turns to you and Teresa crosses her arms. You swear you can see her smug smile even in the dark. "What are you doing here?" Minho says nervously and scratches the back of his head.

Your fingers curl into a fist and then relax, as you were trying to calm yourself. But it wasn't working. You were angry, heartbroken and confused.

"Nothing anymore," you growl at him and turn on your heel. You wouldn't cry in front of him.

"Wait," Minho says and grabs your arm. You yank it out of his grip and storm away.

He didn't follow.

***

It'd been months since you found Minho with Teresa. The image still carried a sting. Whenever you looked at him, all you could see was her. And he never apologized for it either. He didn't fight or go after you, didn't try. So you left.

During the months that you spent trying to find the pieces of your broken heart, you grew closer to Newt. He was a better friend than you'd ever had before, and without realizing it, you were falling for him. Hard.

Minho sat at a lunch table alone, watching you laughing at another with Newt. Teresa was with Thomas now, and Minho had no one. These were the kinds of days that made him wish he never kissed Teresa in the first place.

He missed you, and wanted you back. He even toyed with the idea that maybe you'd instantly forgive him, that maybe you missed him as much as he missed you.

Gathering the most of his confidence, he decided that he would tell you how sorry he was and hope for the best.

So that night, after the bonfire and celebration for the new Greenie, he followed you into the Homestead, intending to stop you before you went to bed.

But, when Minho turned the corner, Newt was there. Minho stopped, stepped behind the corner before you saw him, and listened.

"What did you want to talk about, Newt?" You ask innocently.

"I've liked you for a long time, Y/N," he says nervously and scratches the back of his neck. "And I think I'm in love with you. N-now you don't have to say anything because I know you must not feel the same-"

There's a pause and in the silence Minhos heart shatters. Minho was silently pleading for you to say something back, something that would turn Newt away. But you didn't.

You push your mouth to Newts and Minho watched as the girl he loved, the girl he betrayed, kissed his friend.

When you pull away, you smile at Newt and he returns the grin. "I love you too, Newt."

And those were all the words needed to know Minho had lost you.

***

Two years later, and you were in Paradise. Everything was perfect there. No Grievers, no WICKED, no running for your life. Just a new home. Everyone was happy...except for Minho.

He watched as you and Newt worked together on the Gardens, laughing and wiping mud on each other's cheeks. Minho burned with a regret that he couldn't get rid of, even two years later.

If he hadn't kissed Teresa that night, hadn't broken your heart, would that be him over there instead of Newt?

But Minho already knew the answer to that.

Yes. Yes it would be.