Bullied (Newt)

From the moment he grabbed you out of the Box, you knew things were about to go downhill. A boy named Gally snickered at you, sized you up and muttered comments to the other Gladers. You folded your arms and waited to be told what you were doing here in this strange place with no memory.

"Where am I? What is this place?" You desperately hoped someone would be kind enough to give you answers instead of staring at you like a piece of meat.

But they didn't tell you. Most of the boys just whistled or stared at you in disbelief. Some laughed, like Gally did.

Someone named Winston winked at you and made a kissy-face. You were repulsed.

"Hey Sweetheart! What's a little thing like you doin' here?" One laughed. "Grievers'll eat you up in a second!"

The rest of the boys followed in mean comments, some sarcastic or even degrading. You'd about had enough when someone stepped to the front of the crowd.

"Hey hey hey, what's going on here?" The boy was blonde with a cute accent. British, you thought.

He takes in the scene, looking as surprised as the others that you were there. At least you were the only one that thought it was weird you were the only girl.

"Glades got a new Greenie!" Someone told him. "Looks like she'll be a Slopper in the next week, if not dead."

"What?" You croak. Your heart stopped. Did he just threaten you? Then you see his smug expression flicker to the gigantic wall caging you in. His smile fades. Was there someone out there that would kill you? Something?

The British boy folds his arms. "Did no one ever teach you slintheads how to treat a lady?"

"Not like we could remember if they did, Newt," Gally laughs.

Newt frowned. "I think it'd be common sense anyways, don't you?"

Gally falls silent and Newt stares at the other snickering boys. Some gestured to you, making small comments that you couldn't hear.

Your heads pounding now, racing with thoughts you were sure you couldn't think of without the help of the boys surrounding you. You were an object to them, and that made you angry. Your eyes teared up and you pushed your lips tightly together. You wouldn't cry in front of them.

Newts arguing with Gally and the other boys now, threatening to throw them in a pit or something. You didn't care. Their raised voices blurred around you as you breathed heavier. You had to get out of here.

You make a run for it, pushing past a yelling Gally and towards the cover of the woods. You saw no other way out of the tall looming walls, so maybe there was somewhere in here you could be alone.

Shouts are behind you, followed by thudding footsteps. You definitely weren't faster than them, sadly. A boys arms curled around you and caged you in as you kicked.

"Let go of me!" you screech. You considered biting him but decided it was useless.

By the time Gally and Newt stepped in front of you, a traitor tear had escaped your eye. You slump against the boy who held you and saw Gallys face fall.

"I-" Gally starts but Newt stops him with a cold glare.

"You've done enough," he mutters to Gally and steps up to you. "Come on, I'll take you to your new room."

The boy releases you and Gallys hand slides down your arm as you walk. "Greenie..."

You keep walking though, not necessarily wanting to stay for the next comment to come out of his mouth. You'd had enough for today.

Newt took you to a comfortably small room and got you some spare clothes. You said nothing but pulled your knees up to your chest once you settled on the bed. You stared ahead and rested your chin on the tops of your knees.

Newt was about to leave, but bit his lip and stepped back into the room.

"Listen, Greenie," he says unsurely. "They...don't mean it. They're actually good guys once you get to know them."

Your mouth gives him a false smile and he can tell. He settles further back on the bed next to you. "You didn't deserve to be treated like that and I'm sorry."

"It's fine," you whisper and your voice cracks. Newts face cringes at the hurt in your voice.

"No, it's not. And I'll throw every one of those idiots into the pit if I have to."

You let out a small laugh at this and Newts mouth curls a little into a half smile.

"You have a nice laugh," he says gently.

Automatically your cheeks go hot and you know they're a glowing red. "Thank you."

Newt sits with you for what has to be an hour, telling you all sorts of buzzard things about this place you were in. Grievers? What was a WICKED?

Before you knew what he was doing, you were laughing hard enough you threw your head back. It only dawned on you later that he was trying to comfort you. You couldn't be more grateful that there was someone like him in the Glade.

Once he leaves and you're debating whether or not to take a shower or go to sleep, someone knocks on the door softly. You invite them in, assuming it was Newt who forgot something.

But it was Gally.

Your entire body tenses up and readies itself for the hurtful comments that he'd spray at you like he did earlier. But...there was something different about him now. He looked regretful, and apologetic.

"I wanted to say sorry," he says awkwardly and rubs the back of his neck. "I should've realized how confusing it all must've been for you and then for me to push you around like that wasn't fair. So yeah....I'm sorry. And I'll make sure no one does it anymore."

Your body relaxes and you take a deep breath. He's steps out the door but you call him back in. "Gally?"

"Yeah?" he says and leans into your room.

"It's okay. And thank you."

He furrows his eyebrows. "For what?"

"Apologizing."

Gally looks down and back up again, nods slowly, and leaves. You smile to yourself. Maybe your first day was a bad one, but you felt like maybe one day you could even fit in with some of the boys here.

Maybe you could belong.