Super scream (Newt)

You turn the corner to the entrance to the Glade, pushing forward with everything you had. Your ankle was throbbing with every step you took. Somehow you'd sprained it while running.

The Gladers yelled for you, encouraged you to go faster regardless of your ankle. You tried to do what they say but everyone knew you'd never make it. It was hopeless.

You look through the narrow gap of the closing doors to see Newts broken expression. Disbelief came crashing down on him like a load of bricks. You weren't going to make it out.

"Y/N!" He yelled in panic. You could see him eyeing the space between the doors. Could he make it inside without getting crushed? His features only sunk more when he realized that he couldn't.

You fell to your knees, ten feet from the doors, and mouthed "I'm sorry" to Newt as the doors slapped shut. You let your back fall against one of the cold stone walls and you sobbed. You'd never see him again. Never see your friends or the Glade or even the light of day! This was the end for you.

As time passed, you were able to calm yourself down enough to try and hide yourself in the ivy by the doors as much as possible. If a Griever were to walk past this way, you didn't think they'd notice. But at this point, who cared? They'd find you one way or another, and you were far too tired and injured to keep running.

You couldn't sit still no matter how hard you tried. The thought of Grievers roaming the same area you were placed in was terrifying, but not the worst thought that came o your head. What would happen when Minho brought your body back? What would Newt do?

Your breathing increases and you swear you can hear the clicking of metal legs from the Grievers, whether in the back of your mind or in reality, it didn't matter. You push for fingers into your hair to block your ears, but that didn't stop your fear and dread. They were going to find you, kill you, and then you'd be nothing!

Having no other way to release your inner fear and horror, you scream. You scream as loud as your lungs could take. Yeah it probably wasn't a good idea because of the Grievers, but you couldn't keep everything internalized.

The Gladers, most of whom slept in their hammocks all trying to forget about you,  jumped awake. Newt who was laid in his hammock emotionless and broken, sat up straight and fell to the ground from his hammock. He pushed himself to his knees without skipping a beat, looked up towards the Maze, and his eyes filled with tears.

They'd heard your scream and everyone knew at that moment that you were gone.

Newts shoulders shook silently from his sobs and Minho knelt next to him with a hand on Newts back, trying to comfort a friend who'd never been in such pain before.

The morning was the worst for Newt. The dark circles under his eyes said nothing about his emotional state. He hadn't slept, but instead sat in the Glade for most of the night staring at the Maze doors. Wishing they'd reopen and somehow you'd rush out and meet him. His tears had dried long ago, but only because now he could feel absolutely nothing.

When the doors finally cracked open, Minho was already waiting. He always dreaded a day like this, where he'd have to either retrieve a body or ripped clothing. Sometimes nothing was left at all, just the faint echoes of the horror that had happened the night before.

You jumped to your feet which were numb from sitting the whole night. You almost fall over but steady yourself on the Maze wall. Minho yelped in surprise at something moving but cheered when he saw it was you.

"Guys! She made it!" Minho yelled behind him, only really for Newt to hear most importantly.

Newt jumped to his feet and his heart raced. You met him halfway, relieved to be in the Glade and his arms again. There was no better feeling to you.

Frypan rushed over, followed by an entire crowd of boys. "Y/N! We all thought you'd bit it!"

Some clapped you on the back and other mentally scratched their heads in confusion.

"We heard your scream though, thought you were dead," Winston chipped in.

You pull away from Newt a little and turn to him. "You guys heard that?"

They nod around you and Newt doesn't say anything except for stare at your face in disbelief and relief.

"Wow," you sigh. "I guess it was louder than I thought."

"You must have a super scream!" Frypan laughed.

You shake your head and bury it into Newts shoulder, feeling like you were home again.

You chuckle half heartedly. "I guess so."