Midnight Picnic (Thomas)

You crouch down and hold the food closer to your stomach, trying not to be seen.

"Hurry Y/N! If we're caught Frypan is going to kill us." Thomas held the bag of apples tightly in his hands, and glanced out the doorway.

You giggled quietly and covered your mouth. The Gladers were asleep in the Homestead, but in such a tight area, you were sure if one of them woke up they would hear you. Thomas flashed a smile at you, but you could only see his teeth in the darkness.

Once you both have all the food you can carry, you hurry past the Homestead, trying to be as quiet as you could. Thomas is in the lead and you follow closely behind.

Something thumps on the ground and you freeze. You look down and see that Thomas had dropped a couple apples. You cover your shocked mouth and Thomas's eyes go wide. Someone stirs in the Homestead, their hammock swinging. Gallys.

He sits up with a groan and looks straight ahead, staring you in the eyes. You push on Thomas's back and move him forward, hoping that Gally wasn't awake enough to have recognized you. "Go," you hiss at Thomas and he jumps out of sight.

"Hey!" Gally roars. You hurry past the Homestead and tuck yourself behind a tree. Well now he'd probably woken up everyone with him. "Hey get back here!"

There's another thump on the ground, but this time it's a loud one. Gally fell out of his hammock and you knew it. You let a laugh out, knowing there was too much commotion in the Homestead with the waking Gladers to hear you.

Minho gives one last snore and jumps awake when Gally yells again.

"What's going on?" Alby groans as he comes out from his room.

You hear Gally sputter and he points to where you and Thomas had disappeared. "Two people...they had something, in their hands!"

Alby brushes a hand over his head and sighs. "Okay, I'll take a look. Everyone else go back to sleep. Whoever is out of bed at this time will just spend the rest of the night in the pit, no big deal."

Gally mutters something but obeys Alby.

Thomas looks to you nervously and you shrug. You had no idea what to do now. Your idea of a midnight date picnic was thrown out the window a long time ago, so now you'd moved to getting away before Alby saw you.

Thomas sees his opportunity as Alby picks up the fallen apples and sprints the other way, towards the Deaheads. You panic. Where were you supposed to go? You were closer to Alby than Thomas was, so anything you did would be seen.

Alby groans when he realizes what was going on and he folds his arms. "Whoevers stealing food, give it back now or you'll get twice the amount of work tomorrow!"

A voice from the Homestead speaks up. "Who's stealing my food?" Frypan says angrily.

"Slim it, Frypan." Alby sighs again and takes a step toward you. You scoot to the opposite side of the tree and hope he hadn't heard your small footsteps.

Thomas looks to you from the Deadheads, but it's too dark for you to see him motioning for you to run. You could only see his slight dark silhouette.

You're so focused on Thomas's weird jumping action, that you didn't hear Alby step next to you. Suddenly Thomas stops jumping and freezes. Alby waits patiently as you slowly turn your head to him.

You give a small, sheepish smile. "Heh, hey Alby. Beautiful night...am I right?"

Alby takes a deep breath and looks to your fully loaded arms. You look down and back to him. "T-This isn't mine. I was...sleepwalking. Yeah." You try to work your way out, but it's clear that Alby knows.

"To the kitchen, now," Alby grumbles and leads you in front of him. You give a frown as you pass where Thomas was standing in the Deadheads. He sighs and walks out to meet you half way.

Alby shakes his head. "I should've known it was both of you. Y/N is usually completely obedient, while you," he motions to Thomas. "Are a complete idiot."

Thomas shrugs and grins, taking a bite out of a pear he had. "Totally worth it."

Once you've both returned all the food, Alby takes you to the pit and Thomas hops down. Once inside, he offers you a hand to help you in. Alby locks you both up and shakes his head, kneeling by the front. "Next time, you'll stay in the pit and won't get breakfast, am I clear?"

Thomas nods and Alby stands. "Goodnight, shanks."

"Night, Alby," you and Thomas say in unison.

You sit against the wall and pull for knees to your chest. Thomas takes a seat next to you and he nudges your arm, making your grim expression turn into a curious one.

Without saying anything, Thomas glances at the pits door and then to you. He reaches a hand into his pocket and pulls out some fruit he'd stuffed into a small bag. You laugh and take a strawberry he'd offered to you.

Thomas grins and kisses your cheek. "See? What'd I tell you? Perfect midnight picnic ever."