Practice makes perfect (Newt)

The bonfire night was tomorrow, and Newt started to dread it a little. You and Minho were the best dancers the Glade knew. Newt wanted to dance with you, but how could he match your fluency and gracefulness, when he was known for not dancing at all?

Newt came to the conclusion that there was only one thing to do. Practice. But where could he practice without the Gladers making stupid comments and everything.

Newt eyed the Deadheads from his position at the Gardens. That should be a good enough place. He probably wouldn't be bothered and-

"Newt, are you listening to me?" Zart asks and rests on his shovel.

Newts attention turned back to his work and he apologized. "Y-yeah. Just not paying very good attention, am I?"

"Not really," Zart chuckled. "Here, plant these seeds."

***

Newt wandered into the Deadheads thy night, not entirely sure where to practice. He knew a couple spots that were private enough and picked one. It wasn't too far from the Homestead but he knew no one would see him.

You tried to sleep, but going to bed early apparently wasn't your thing. You wandered outside and sighed. A walk it was then. Maybe by the time you were done you'd be tired enough to sleep.

You'd seen too much of the Glade already, so the only place you liked to take walks was the Deadheads. It was pretty, quiet, and-

You pushed past a trees branches and stopped in your tracks. You covered your gaping mouth and laughed silently to yourself.

In the middle of a small opening was Newt, spinning in circles and stepping forwards and back, nearly tripping every two steps. Was he trying to dance?

Newt spins around again and drops his arms from a position of dancing with someone. His eyes went wide when he sees you and he goes stiff.

"Y/N! What uh, what are you doing up?"

You snicker and step towards him so you could see him better. "I couldn't sleep...so I took a walk..."

Newt chuckles and scratches the back of his neck. "Oh yeah, me too."

You rest against the side of a tree. "Newt, were you dancing?"

Newts eyebrows furrow. "What? Me? N-No, you know I don't dance." He faked confidence but you saw right through him.

You raise an eyebrow. "You don't have to lie to me, you know. If you want to learn to dance, I can teach you."

He stops breathing at your offer. He smiles a little and shakes his head. "No it's alright you don't have to-"

"Hey it's either me or Minho," you laugh and hold your hands up.

Newt blinks a couple times. "Okay so where do you want to start?"

You take his hands in yours and lead him to the middle of the small clearing you were in. "Follow my lead," you smile.

Newt stares into your eyes the entire time you were trying to teach him to lead. He was trying hard to follow your instructions but dancing didn't come naturally to him.

You stop and Newt furrows his eyebrows. "Why'd we stop?"

"Newt," you sigh. "I know you don't like dancing, so why did you want to learn?"

He looks down and back up to you. "Truthfully? I wanted to dance with you tomorrow. You know, impress you? Minho always gets to dance with you and it always makes me so bloody jealous."

Your cheeks heat up a little. "You did all of this to impress me?"

He nodded. "Well, yeah."

"Then I'm already impressed," you grin. "But if you want to dance with me tomorrow, we'd better start practicing again."

Newt laughs, nods, and takes your hands in his. "Im ready when you are."