Chapter One - Damn Stefan Salvatore

Hey. I started this back in August 2011, and finished it in October 2011. Believe it or not, my writing skills have improved a hell of a lot since then. I did originally make these scenes incredibly detailed (both violently and sexually) but I really wanted to keep it PG-13.

Disclaimer:This story is based on the TV Series, The Vampire Diaries, owned by Warner Brothers and The CW Television Network. While some of the characters are of my own creation, others are owned by L.J.Smith, Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson. This is a Fan Fiction based on the characters they came up with, and I do not mean to take credit for any of their work.

*****

"Oh, look," I snarled. "There's Elena Gilbert and her boyfriend."

"Stefan Salvatore," Annabelle sighed.

"He's so gorgeous," Ronnie smiled.

"Come on, girls," I grunted. "So, he's fairly good looking. So what? He's just another guy. Just another Matt Donovan."

Annabelle shook her head. "Matt Donovan doesn't have thick, dark hair and gorgeous, green eyes."

Ronnie agreed. "No, Matt's blond and kind-hearted, though."

I reached for my bag, stood up and stormed off towards Mystic Falls High. Why does everyone have to ramble on about boys? As I passed Elena Gilbert, I scowled at her. She grimaced, then turned back to that Salvatore guy.

Gosh, I hate that girl, I thought to myself. She has it all. The looks. The charm. The brains. And now, she has the only guy on this planet that's worth dating. The delectable Stefan Salvatore. When he first moved to Mystic Falls, Virginia, I couldn't have cared less about him. I didn't give a damn about how hot or witty he is. I'd have much rather dated a squirrel. But then he started hooking up with Elena, and everything changed.

I've loathed Elena since middle school. You see, I moved here from England, and she was the first girl to befriend me. I went along with her crowd for a while, but then I saw her true colours. She always has everything I can't have. Every time I come close to happiness, she unknowingly steps in and crushes every chance of joy that comes my way. I've had enough of it. She's not getting what she wants. Not this time.

The only problem is, she's already gotten what she wants. Stefan. She has Stefan, and there is nothing I can do about it. Not now.

Of course, I could always encourage Stefan to dump her, but how on Earth was I supposed to do that? Only someone with an evil mind could do that. And, as nasty as I am, I could never think of a plan like that. I'm just not creative enough.

My bitter thoughts were interrupted. Someone tapped me on the shoulder. I spun around. Caroline Forbes.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"Calm down, Lizzie. Gosh, I just came over to ask you to my party tonight," she replied in her annoyingly high voice.

"No, thank you. I think I'll give this one a pass."

Caroline backed away, smiling at me before flicking back her blond hair and walking down the hall. I growled under my breath, then turned to walk in the other direction. I hate Caroline nearly as much as I hate Elena. Was there nobody decent in this dump?

*****

The rest of the day was a bore. I sat through History with Mr Saltzman, listening to him ramble on about the Civil War. What a drag. Then there was a bunch of other classes I didn't bother to pay attention to.

When the last bell went, I jumped up from my seat at the back of the classroom and marched from the school campus. I easily located my flaming red Porsche Carerra - the fabulous car Daddy had bought me for my birthday. I hopped in and gently turned the key in the ignition.

Mum was waiting for me when I got home. She was looking through the kitchen window with a sour look upon her face, and when she saw me pull into the driveway, she raced to the front door. I slowly walked up the porch steps.

"What's up?" I asked. "You look like a bulldog chewing a wasp."

"Enough of your sarcasm. I received a phone call from someone named Mr Saltzman today," she informed me. "He says you've been skipping his History classes. Is he right, Lizzie?"

I pinched the bridge of my nose with my thumb and forefinger. "So what if he's right? What would you care? These days it's all about your new boyfriend," I yelled. "Whatever happened to Dad, huh? Did you just forget about him the moment he boarded the plane back to England? Does he even know you're seeing someone else?"

"It's none his business what goes on in my life, let alone yours. And, where you're education is concerned, you know I care. I only want what's best for you. You know better than this, Elizabeth. You're a good kid."

"No, I'm not. You don't know me at all. Why did we have to move here in the first place? Why couldn't we have just stayed in England? You took me away from everything. Everything. You are the reason why this family has fallen apart. You are the reason why my life is Hell."

I pushed past her and ran up to my bedroom. Once my bedroom door was locked, I threw myself onto the bed, burying my face in my pillow. Why did this have to happen to me? Why?

Life had been great back in England. I'd had a happy childhood, and my teenage years weren't going too bad, either. I had an amazing boyfriend, who I absolutely adored. There were only a handful of girls that I could trust, but those girls were like sisters to me. I was mildly popular, but apparently not arrogant. My life had been just perfect.

But then Mum and Dad got a divorce, and Mum wanted to move to Virginia so that she could be near family. She had heard of a small town named Mystic Falls, that was apparently a lovely little place. Well, she was wrong there.

I heard a faint knock on my door. "Go away," I mumbled. Thankfully, I heard the stairs creak.

That was one good thing about Mum. She'll give you space when you're upset. She won't pester you like any other adult would. Maybe it's because that's what most annoyed her when she was my age. Or, maybe, she believes that's what drove Ben away.

Ben's my brother. Well, Ben was my brother. Before he...died.

Right at that moment my mobile rang. I sighed with relief and pulled it from my pocket. Ronnie.

"Look, Liz, Annabelle and I are really-" she began.

"Don't worry about it," I interrupted.

"Okay. Well, how about you come over to the Grill? Caroline's party didn't turn out how she planned, so, typically, there aren't many people here."

"I'll be there in ten." I hung up.

Gathering myself together, I washed my face, brushed my hair and picked up my bag. I sprinted down the stairs and out of the front door before Mum could even ask where I was going. I got into my Porsche and drove until I reached Mystic Grill. Ronnie was waiting for me outside, with Annabelle by her side. I smiled at them both, getting out of my car.

"Hey," I greeted.

I surveyed both of my friends. Ronnie looked tired, with black rings around her eyes and her hair stuck to her face. Annabelle had her lips pressed into a tight line, as if she was trying not to say something.

"Spill," I demanded.

"Okay," Annabelle breathed. "There's a really cute guy in there, and I think you'll like him. He's either new here, or has been in hiding for the last two years, because we've never seen him before."

"Annabelle, I told you not to say anything," Ronnie hissed.

"Don't worry about it," I laughed. "It's good to know there's fresh meat around here. Perhaps he'll be a distraction from You Know Who."

I strutted confidently into the Grill, Ronnie and Annabelle on my heel. They directed me to a table they were already occupying. We all sat down. Ronnie went to buy drinks, while Annabelle went over and flirted with Matt Donovan. So, I was left sat by myself. And that was when I saw him.