Chapter Twenty-Five - Live And Let Die

"Damon?" I called, banging my fist violently against the large wooden door. "Damon, let me in!"

Just as I pushed out my fist to knock the door again, Damon appeared before me, and my fist brutally made contact with his nose. He toppled backwards, landing in a haphazard heap on the floor. I found it hard to supress laughter at the very sight of him laying there, but I felt the need to be courteous, so I managed not to let even the faintest of giggles escape from the small gap between my lips.

"I'm so sorry!" I gasped once the need to laugh had completely dissipated. "Do you want me to help you up or anything?"

This, of course, was an utterly pointless question, as Damon was on his feet in an instant, his hand pressing into my throat. This time I didn't hold back my snigger.

"Why the long face?" I choked, now struggling for breath. I delicately lifted one of my hands up and tugged his palm away from my wind pipe. I took in a deep breath before pushing past him and walking into the heated comfort of the Salvatore house.

"Lizzie?" a female voice called. I followed the voice into the living room, where Stefan and Elena were curled up in the small arm chair. Stefan was staring down at the phone is his hand, obviously texting someone. Elena was looking at me with wide, child-like eyes. A smile hovered on her pinched mouth.

"Did you call me?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah," Elena sighed, resting her chin on her folded arms. "I just wanted to ask you something."

"And that is...?"

"I was wondering if we could make amends," she said timidly. "I mean, we've both been through more than we can handle, and it would be nice if we could start over."

I was desperately longing to snap back at her and refuse her request. After all, why should I? Yes, we've both been through a lot, but that's completely irrelevant. My loathing for her had pretty much been nudged out of the picture until half a minute ago.

"That wasn't a question," I stated through gritted teeth. "That was a thought. Or a statement. Or whatever you prefer to call it. But it is most definitely not a thought."

"Lizzie," Damon growled, his hot breath making the fine hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge. His arms around my waist possessively. "Be nice, please. Miss Gilbert is only trying to be civil about all of this. There's no need to throw it back in her face." The sarcasm in his voice made me wince slightly. "Though a taste of her own medicine wouldn't be too harsh," he added to himself.

"There's hardly time to be civil," I spat, clenching my fists around Damon's arms. "Does the name Klaus ring a bell?"

The room fell silent and tension vibrated through the atmosphere. Damon's arms were like rock around my waist - this was the first time he'd seemingly taken something seriously. Stefan's eyes had moved from his phone screen to my face, his emerald green irises swimming with disbelief.

Elena, however, had her eyes on Damon. I turned my head to look up at the statue-like man holding me, and realised that he and Elena were locked in a worried gaze. Then I realised that they seemed fearful for one another.

Ugh - all of the romantic crap in my life had a habbit of making me feel thoroughly repulsed. I mean, the fact that I myself had been in many intense relationships didn't help the matter. However, the look Elena and Damon were currently sharing was wrong on so many levels.

Elena was with Stefan. Correction; Elena was in a serious relationship with Stefan Salvatore. And then there's Damon. My boyfriend Damon. Damon Salvatore, the malicious vampire who could never truly stop drinking - whether the consumed liquid be Bourbon or blood. It just doesn't make sense.