Chapter Ten - Wait. You're Not Elena? But... You Know What? I Don't Care

"Where am I?" I muttered, my hand immediately flying up to my head.

"You're tied to a chair using vervain-coated rope," a female voice replied. I blinked, opening my eyes widly and trying to twist my head to the side. Every time I did, a hard, rough, wet fabric rubbed against my skin. It burned. I screamed. "I wouldn't move if I were you," she added.

Suddenly two brown eyes appeared before mine. I threw my head back, whining as loud as my voice would allow. It couldn't be. It just wasn't possible. It just couldn't be her. Could it?

"Elena?" I croaked, my voice hoarse. The woman took my chin in her fingers and brought my face down to the same level as hers.

"Try again," she breathed.

I thought hard. It had to be Elena. I recognised every feature. The wide, brown eyes. The long, dark hair. The tanned yet somehow pale skin. The thin, flawless body. I knew this girl. I've hated her for years.

"You are Elena," I accused. "I've loathed your very existence for years. I know who you are, and you can't lie to me. It's not possible for you to be anyone else."

"But I am not Elena," the woman sighed, impatiently. "Elena is my incredibly annoying doppelganger. She's so boring. The complete opposite of myself. But, of course, she has the Salvatore brothers fighting over her. History really does have a habbit of repeating itself. But this time around, I'm getting in the way. While Elena's relationship with Stefan has never been better, I'm left with Damon chasing after me like some lost puppy. You'd think that after all the Salvatore brothers and I have been through, Damon would have given up by now. But he's still into me. It's driving me crazy."

I gritted my teeth, the rope continuing to burn my skin. What a typical time to experience the agony of vervain. "If you're not Elena, then who are you?" I challenged.

"I'm Katherine," she replied simply. "Has your boyfriend never mentioned me? He used to have an incredibly annoying obsession with me back in 1864, and he still can't leave me alone. What a naughty boyfriend he is. Not telling you all of the details. He should be ashamed."

At that, Katherine stepped back, pulled out a gun and fired at my leg. I gasped, struggling for breath. The pain in my shin grew stronger by the second. Meanwhile, Katherine just laughed a delicate, tinkling laugh.

"Oh. This is fun," she giggled. "I see why the werewolves get a kick out of it."

"Why are you doing this to me?" I whispered. "What have I done to you? I mean, you're obviously not Elena. She wouldn't be such a bitch. So, who are you? What have I done to upset you?"

"Well, sweetheart, as I said, I am Katherine. Katherine Pierce. There's no point in me telling you my age, because you would never be able to count that high." She smirked at her own joke. "Anyway, I'm bored. The Salvatore brothers won't let me anywhere near dearest Elena. Klaus and Elijah left a longtime ago. Huh. I miss those two. They were good fun. But, back to the topic. Jeremy nearly succeeds in staking me every time I go near him, and Bonnie has actually gotten better at her witchy magic. Not even I can resist the pain she causes anymore. And then there's Caroline. I just get frustrated with her whiny voice. So, while out stalking Stefan - as I do every evening - I saw your pretty little arse snogging Damon, and just new immediately that you'd make a good chew toy."

The speed of my breath increased rapdily as I began to hyperventilate. Katherine just grinned at me; her eyes wide and child-like. The very thought of the cruel things that she could do to me made me shiver. And then, before I could scream again, she opened her mouth to speak.

"So, while you're here, why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself?" she prompted innocently. "I promise to listen like a good girl."

I paused, considering what to do. I could tell her what she wanted to hear, or I could just ignore her until she got bored and decided to let me go. But, who knows when that would be? I decided to take the first option.