Chapter Thirty-Four - World's Biggest Harlot Saves The Day. Or Not.

Nothing eventful went on during the long walk back to Mystic Falls. Dad didn't ask any questions, and neither Klaus or I said much. Dad didn't even ask how I ended up as a vampire - though I was sure that he couldn't care less. I mean, that's the reason why I didn't ask how he became a werewolf. I get the whole genetics thing, but Tyler had said something about killing someone to trigger the curse...

Then I had reminded myself that I didn't care what he'd done.

I was careful not to invite Klaus in when we reached the Salvatore house, and I left him outside with my Dad while I went in to confer with Stefan and Damon. They were sat in the living room, along with the usual gang; Elena; Jeremy; Bonnie; Alaric; Caroline; Tyler; and a face I'd never seen before.

"Who's that?" I frowned, gesturing to the man hunched over the coffee table, his cropped chestnut hair hanging in his eyes in a style that looked similar to Alaric's. The man looked up at me, and there was something familiar about his face. I couldn't tell what, but his features seemed somewhat recognisable.

"Elijah," he said, smiling slightly.

"Elijah..." I consumed. "Do I know you?"

"It's a possibility." He had a thick English accent that was almost welcoming. "And who are you?"

"My girlfriend," Damon offered, turning his palms over so that they were facing upwards. "What can I say? I'm a sucker for the pretty ones."

"Do you fancy giving me a proper explanation as to who you are?" I asked, content on trying for another answer.

"Lord Elijah," he replied sincerely. For a minute I thought that we was joking. "Brother of Lord Niklaus. You know him, right?"

Oh! Klaus' brother! That makes a whole lot of sense. Not.

I just went with it. What was the point of asking further questions just to end up with nothing relevant? Oh, that's right. There wasn't one. Thank bloody God for that.

"So, what're you doing here?" I grunted rather rudely. Damon scowled at me but I just laughed.

"I'm here because my brother's here," Elijah shrugged.

"What are you? His stalker?" My tone was a little too sarcastic for my taste, but I brushed it off with ease.

"No. But, now that Rebecca's not here to keep him in line, who will? That's where I come in. Well, actually, Damon called me in."

"You have a phone?"

"I have learnt the ways of modern technology."

I rolled my eyes, holding in my laughter. He was understanding modern technology? Like I'd believe that. Regardless, there were things to be both done and said. Things about the hybrid and soon-to-be-dead werewolf waiting on the Salvatore's doorstep.

 Klaus called through the open front door, right on cue. "Come on, Lizzie. We haven't got all day."

"Right," I sighed. "Yeah...Stefan? Damon? Can I speak to you outside for a minute?"

Both brothers looked up at me and nodded without noticeable consideration. I turned around and the three of us went out into the kitchen. Damon sat up on the worktop and Stefan sat down at the table. I joined him, picking dirt from under my fingernails.

"What's up?" Damon inquired. "Did you find anyone?"

"Yes..." I hesitated. "And no."

"What's that supposed to mean? You're kind of giving us mixed messages here."

"Well, we found the werewolves and fed them a complete lie, expecting one of them to take up our false bargain. One of them did."

"And that's a problem because...?" Damon prompted.