Chapter Fourteen - Wow. That Went Well. Didn't It?

"You plan to kill me, Damon Salvatore?" Katherine laughed in a shrill voice. "Please, don't make me laugh. You've never been the funny kind."

"I'm not planning on killing you just yet," Damon smiled. "First, I need you to tell me why you're here, of all places."

"Why not? Well, actually, to tell you the truth, Damon, I missed you."

"That's what you said last time. Before you tried to kill me and my brother."

"I didn't try to kill Stefan," she corrected him. "Just you."

Damon tried to jump on her, but Stefan grabbed him from behind and pulled him back. I took Damon's hand in mine while Stefan kept hold of his shoulders.

"Awe," Katherine mocked. "The oldest Salvatore brother has his own body guards. His gorgeous younger brother, and my toy - the one that got away." She turned to me innocently. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I'll be back for you."

I hissed at her through my teeth. "What do you want, Katherine?"

She laughed, again. "Has Damon finally filled you in on everything, Lizzie?"

I didn't want to admit that, once again, she had beat me. No, Damon hadn't filled me in on everything - whatever everything was - but she was the reason that he hadn't. If she hadn't of kidnapped me, tortured me, gotten her self locked up by Stefan and Damon, and then escaped, maybe Damon would have had just a little bit more time to explain things to me. But, as it seems, Katherine just can't leave the brothers alone.

"Frankly, Katherine, it's none of your business," I snarled.

"Look, guys, if you're going to argue, can you please take it outside?" a husky voice growled.

"Tyler," Katherine breathed. "It's been a while. How've you been?"

"Katherine?" he sighed, crossing his arms and cocking one of his eyebrows.

"Yeah. Stefan and Damon won't let little Elena anywhere near me - which is a shame, because I really feel like ripping her little head off. Anyway, how's Uncle Mason doing?"

"Give it a rest, Katherine," Stefan said impatiently. "You heard Tyler. If you want a fight, take it outside."

"Yes, sir," she giggled, walking from the room. Stefan and Damon were the first to follow her. I went after them, and I could sense Bonnie and Tyler close behind me. Katherine walked us right out by the river.

As we all stood in a circle around Katherine, I noticed Tyler scarcely eyeing up the moon. This evening, it was a full moon. Maybe...

No. I shook my head, trying to shake away that thought. It wasn't possible. It really couldn't be possible. But, I believed that vampires didn't exist until I found out what Damon was. Even then, I still couldn't get my head around it. But, as it happens, they do exist, so, maybe...

To confirm my suspicion, Tyler let out an unearthly scream. Everyone turned to him, then looked up at the moon.

"God, damn it," Damon moaned. "The idiot must have forgotten about the full moon. God, Lockwood! What goes on in that twisted head of yours?"

By this point, Tyler was rolling on the ground, writhing with pain. I jumped back as Damon lunged at him, pinning him to the grass.

"Damon, no!" both Stefan and I yelled.

"Remember what happened last time you took on a werewolf, Damon," Stefan continued. I would have backed him up, but I knew nothing of what had happened last time my boyfriend had fought with a werewolf. I still don't even know if Tyler isa werewolf. Bonnie could just be doing one of her witchy things I'd heard about.

But, as I stared at Tyler's agonised form squirming underneath the weight of Damon, I noticed his bones changing position under his skin. It sickened me to watch him in pain. I gulped back the acid in my mouth. 

Bonnie, I realised, had ran off. Katherine was just stood, staring at Tyler and Damon, visibly unsure of what to do. Stefan had come and stood by me. I grabbed his arm and began to retreat from the scene. He stopped me.

"We need to stay here and help Damon," he whispered. "He's lucky that he hasn't been bitten already. A werewolf bite kills a vampire, Lizzie. He's already suffered from a bite once. I can't let him suffer from one again. Last time, I bargained for his recovery, and I paid the price."

What did he mean? He bargained for Damon's recovery and then paid the price? Okay, then... Damon will have to explain that one to me.

As I was thinking, Stefan had walked over to the moving bundle on the floor and was prying Damon off of Tyler. He managed to get him right away from the werewolf, but Damon tried to lunge again. This time, I managed to stop him by blocking his path. He pushed me to the floor, instead.

"Lizzie," he panted, not realising that he was straddling me. "That kid is dangerous. You've got to let me on him, before he hurts anyone else."

"Did he get you?" I shouted over all of the growling and screaming. Damon examined his arms, understanding what I meant.

"Not that I can see," he said, a hint of relief in his voice.

Suddenly, there was another unearthly scream, but this time, it was female. Damon jumped up off of me, letting me get up onto my feet. While we'd been on the floor, Stefan had stepped back, and Tyler had sprung onto Katherine, his eyes glowing amber. Katherine was struggling awkwardly beneath him.

And then he sank his bared teeth into her flesh.

And she let out a scream so high pitched that it could crack glass.

Stefan and Damon just stood, side by side.

I hesitated behind them, watching as Tyler ran - well, bounded, on all fours - off into the depths of the forest.

It wasn't long until Katherine staggered away in that direction, clutching the top of her left arm. She didn't say anything to us. She didn't even turn to look at us. The scene was kind of dramatic, really. Her dress was torn, her hair was knotted and her skin was covered in thick dirt.

Damon let out a long breath. "So, the stupid werewolf has ran off into the deep, dark woods, while the injured vampire has staggered off to die."

"She's going to die?" I gasped. Not that I had guessed any differently.

"Yeah," Damon smirked. "The bitch was bitten. It seems that I didn't need to put much effort into her death, after all."

And then, both Damon and Stefan just casually walked away with their hands in their pockets. Just like that.

"Why are you just walking away?" I shouted.

"Why not?" Damon replied, not turning to face me. He just continued walking.

I followed them, clutching my purse tight by my side.

Wow. That went well. Didn't it?