Chapter Thirty-Two - Just The Start Of A Long Journey

The sun was slowly rising as Klaus and I pondered through the forest. I was tired, sore, and dominantly hungry. The last time I'd digested blood was, well, a while ago, and there were no decent humans around for me to feed on. However, I was somehow finding humour in the situation, and those objects of humour held my attention vigorously.

Klaus, on the other hand, was growing more and more tense as we hunted for any vampires or potential werewolves that had gone off the handle and had made their way here. I seriously doubted that we'd find any supernaturals that have no kind of relationship with Elena so close to Mystic Falls, but I suppose there's always the one in a million chance that we might actually come across someone. Then again, that chance was one in a million, therefore seemingly impossible.

An intense silence was settling over Mystic Falls, accompanied by a thin layer of fog that seemed to grow thicker as the sun beamed across the horizon. I squinted as the almost too bright light swept through the gaps between the trees. Taking in a deep breath, I took longer strides in a poor attempt to catch up with Klaus, who was pacing ahead eagerly.

"When are we going to find something?" I sighed, almost tripping over a large fallen branch. "I'm tired. We've been walking for hours and still have no heading. No sign of any vampires. Or any werewolves. Don't you think that you should just give all of this up? You wanted to become a hybrid, and now you are. You got what you wanted. What's changed?"

"It hurts," he growled, not bothering to turn and face me. His feet stopped, like they'd suddenly been rooted to the ground. "Being a hybrid hurts. More than anything. The transition into a wolf while you're also displaying your vampire side is agonising. I would never with it upon anyone, let alone myself."

"But you're harming Elena," I replied. "Does she not count? They gave you what you wanted. Wasn't Tyler Lockwood your first hybrid? Imagine what he's going through."

"He should be grateful. He can turn whenever he wants to, can't he?"

And I didn't know the answer to that one.

"I think so," I lied. "I really don't know, to be frank."

"Being frank isn't a tradition running through the Salvatore family," he scolded. "I'm hoping that you haven't yet adapted to their way of life, and that you do have some kind of knowledge of how to tell the truth."

I ignored his rather rude comments, brushing him past him and walking ahead. Though I thought that this little mission would be entertaining, I was beginning to regret my decision, and beginning to think that Damon was right when he advised me that I wasn't making the wisest of choices. However, if something good came out of this, then my part in the whole ordeal could hardly be mistaken.

We walked on and on for what must have been hours. By the time I came to a deserved pause, the sun was almost at it's peak, signifying that it was almost noon. Klaus was painstakingly anxious, and the radiations flowing from his body were repelling. I was thankful that he let me keep a safe distance.

As I pressed my back against an old tree, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I pulled it out and slid my finger across the touch screen to answer the call.

"Hello?" I frowned.

"Found anyone yet?" Damon's silky voice taunted.

"What do you want?" I inquired.

"I asked if you've found anything yet."

"No, we haven't."

"Well, Klaus said that he'd get-"

"Yes, I know when he said he'd get me back by," I interrupted, turning my head to look at Klaus. He was glaring at me, his piercing blue eyes watching my every move. "But I want to help out, and I will. I don't care how long it takes for us to find what we need, as long as I'm recognised as a valuable volunteer in this thing."

"You know that you might not make it back until tomorrow, right? Klaus needs a werewolf, but the only way to tell who's a werewolf and who's not a werewolf is to see them in transition."

"Tell your boyfriend not to worry about that," Klaus called over to me. "I know a nice little pack on the borderline of Virginia."

"Then why aren't we there yet?" I hissed.

Klaus laughed. "Because dragging out this little walk is amusing."

"Damon, I've got to go," I whispered into the phone. "But I need you to do me a favour while I'm gone. Find out where my Dad's at. It's been bugging me for a few days now, and I just want to know that he's okay."

"Will do. See you...whenever I see you?"

"Sounds about right to me," I giggled, then hung up and slid my phone back into my pocket. I turned back to Klaus. "Get us to this little pack on borderline Virginia. Now."

"Yes, ma'am," he smirked. I rolled my eyes and folded my arms across my chest and standing up straight. I allowed Klaus to go ahead of me, then followed his steps closely.

"We are going to this pack on borderline Virginia, right?" I checked.

"Don't worry. We'll get there eventually. Keep your eyes out for any sign of a violent death. That could lead to a vampire. It could not. I'm willing to take chances and play with what I've got."

I groaned, slumping my shoulders and dragging my arms along by my side. I should have known that Klaus wouldn't get straight to the point, so to speak. It was almost obvious that he would drag this whole thing out just to piss of the Salvatore brothers. He has, after all, had some rather vain encounters with their "family" , and wasn't at all going to forget potential vengeance.

"And where are these werewolves?" I piped up.

"I don't know that," he admitted. "I just know about them. I was told by a friend of a friend, who's friend was told by his friend, and-"

"Okay, okay!" I shouted through gritted teeth. "I get it. But you just sound like a pathetic teenager who has very little brain cells in his air head."

"It's because I've spent around a year hanging out with the Salvatores and their friends. Their behaviour is starting to rub off on me."

"Of course it is," I muttered.

Throughout the remainder of the daylight hours, we just kept walking, and walking and walking. We did come to a road, and then went walking around many other roads, and Klaus kept trying to convince me that we were actually getting nearer to the supposed destination of this werewolf pack he was searching for. I really didn't believe him, until we arrived at an old house in the middle of a field.

"Is this where we're supposed to find these dudes?" I asked impatiently.

"Yes. I believe it is."

We approached the house apprehensively. I let Klaus stay slightly ahead of me, hoping that, if something were to come out at us, they would go for him first and give me the shortest of chances to escape.

He knocked on the rotting wooden door. I raised my eyebrows, sincerely surprised. If I were him, I would have belted down the door by now, but I suppose that being considerably respectful was always a good way to go.

At last someone answered the door. He was tall, broad, and well muscled, with shaggy chestnut hair flicked with grey and stubble tickling his chin.

I took in his stricken features, noting something familiar about the way he eyed us curiously, and the way he held his failing posture.

"Can I help you?" he grunted, wiping beading sweat from his forehead.

"You're the werewolf pack, right?" Klaus asked politely.

"Who's asking?" the man replied.

"Klaus," Klaus shrugged.

The man's eyes widened with shock and horror, and I gasped.

"Dad?" I whispered, immediately retreating.