Chapter Six - I Most Definitely Didn't See That One Coming

I screamed. Damon turned to me.

"Shut up!" he growled. "It's only a dead person."

"It's my mother!" I snapped, tears running down my cheeks.

He looked back at the corpse and shrugged his shoulders. "Damn it. I never got to introduce myself. I mean, she sure looks tasty. And, what's worse, I never got to charm her into becoming my human slave. What a bummer."

My jaw dropped open. That. Fucking. Bastard. How, at a time like this, could he say something as insensitive as that right at this moment? What a jackass. If I could kill him right now, I would. But, as he said, he always has the upper hand.

I crouched down by my mother, shoving Damon out of the way. Her skin was ghostly pale, and her hazel eyes were wide and glassy. Her blonde hair - usually not unlike my own - was clotted with thick, dark blood. Her fists were clenched by her side, and one of her legs was twisted, obviously broken. The body was surrounded by broken glass. I looked to my right. The window was completely smashed.

"Who did this?" I sobbed, burying my face between my knees.

"A big, bad vampire is what did this, honey," Damon drawled, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

"And how do you know that?" I challenged, looking up. He gestured to a large, gaping wound on the left side of her neck. I gasped, covering my hand over my mouth.

"I don't think any human would rip out her throat."

"And why the fuck was she thrown through a window?" Of course, there was the possibility that she was thrown through the window because I was in the room, but who would kill her in the first place?

Damon thought about it - and not mockingly. It seemed like I had actually gotten one over on him. Victory to me. Wait. Why am I thinking about something as stupid as this? Why am I letting myself be pleased over making Damon Salvatore think? My mother is dead, and I seemingly couldn't care less. What a crappy daughter.

And then, making all matters worse, Stefan walked in.

"Damon, what have you done?" he asked immediately.

"Hey," Damon frowned, his voice thick with some kind of denial mixed with annoyance. "Why do you always jump to conclusions and presume I'm the culprit?"

"Because you generally are," Stefan replied craftily.

"Fair enough. Now, could you please tell me what's going on here? My girlfriend's mother's dead body just smashed through my window."

Elena walked in then. God, why was she always around when nobody wanted her there? I became desperate to scream at her, to tell her to fuck off and go get a life, but I sadly couldn't find my voice. Every time I tried to say something, I just choked. So, I just had to put up with the little bitch.

She came over and crouched by my side, putting a comforting arm around my shoulder. I felt the urge to slap it off, but, despite my hate for her, I couldn't. She was only trying to be nice to me, which is more than I would ever do to her. I had to give her some credit; she wasn't such a waste of space.

"Well, Damon. I can't tell you what's going on. I wasn't here. Please, enlighten me as to what you were doing before Lizzie's mother ended up with her throat ripped out and her corpse launched through your window."

"We were just about to have sex, brother," Damon said bluntly. Oh, well, he holds nothing back, then. I would have to reconsider hanging around with him, whether my being with him was by choice or force.