Chapter Twenty-One - I Now Know The Apparent Truth

I looked at the crumpled sheet of parchment lying harmlessly on the desk. Beside it was on old-fashioned quill, similar to the one that father still insisted on using back In England.

I swiftly walked over to the desk and sat down in the old, wooden chair. In the next few moments, I found the quill in my hand, scrawling horizontally across the top of the parchment.

I cannot even begin to describe how I'm feeling, I wrote in a complicated calligraphy. The information I've been told is enough to make me want to curl up under a rock and stay there until someone is witty enough to find me. I'm not even sure how to interpret the news that I've been given. Damon has explained it all as thoroughly as he could have, yet I still simply cannot identify where I stand in this enlarged threesome.

I examined what I had wrote, pleased with myself. I had never been a good writer, yet this paragraph seemed fairly developed. I continued:

Damon old me that Katherine didn't die; that she managed to find the only person who held the cure for a werewolf bite. I tried asking him who that person was, of course, but every time I tried he just went off on yet another sarcastic conversation that neither Stefan or I payed any attention to. I did get a few select answers, but not all of the ones that I yearned for. Who was the supernatural male (yes, Damon had told me that much) who withheld the cure that a vampire needed to heal the bite of a werewolf? And how had Katherine managed to seek him out before she was subjected to death? She was already in an awful state when she staggered away: How could her legs have carried her injured body to find someone who was apparently miles from Mystic Falls? It wasn't possible that she was still alive, was it?

Barely anything was mentioned about the relationship between Stefan, Elena, Damon and I. It's clear that Stefan is still desperately in love with Elena, and I had figured from Elena's previous behaviour that she felt something for Damon. Yet I still couldn't decide how I felt about the brothers. My love for Damon was somehow stronger than ever, but my feelings for Stefan were lingering in the background. How I feel for Stefan is keeping me awake now. That, and my anxiety.

Stefan and Damon have gone to the Gilbert household in a poor attempt to try and sort things out between the four of us, as well as clearly explain things to Jeremy, Bonnie and Caroline. However, it had been requested that I remained at home. It was funny that amongst all of the angst and confusion of this situation, Damon had still managed to let me know that the Salvatore Boarding House was now my home for as long as I wanted to stay. Some part of me was convinced that I should pay rent, but, then again, I am still Damon's girlfriend, and what's his is now mine.

As I finished that paragraph, I head a door open and close downstairs, followed by a half-hearted laugh and two male voices. Stefan and Damon, perhaps?

I sprinted down the stairs, eager to see who had just arrived. Sure enough, Stefan and Damon were stood casually by the front door, Elena, Bonnie and Jeremy close behind them. All five looked flustered, and, to my delight, Caroline was nowhere to be seen. Thank God.

"What's been going on?" I asked, running into Damon's open arms. I buried my head in his chest, tears rolling uncontrollably from my eyes.

"Why are you crying?" Damon chuckled, pulling my face away from his damp shirt and wiping my cheeks with his thumb. "What's there to be upset about?"

"I don't know," I choked. "I really don't know. Please, Damon. Just tell me what's going on."

"Just tell her, Damon," Elena sighed. Stefan threw an arm around her shoulders, as if comforting her. "She deserves to know what's going on. Just get it all over and done with. Let her develop her own opinion instead of making decisions for her."