Chapter Thirty-Three - Guess Which Werewolf We're Using

"Dad?" I repeated, my numb fingers shaking painfully. "Wh-what are you d-doing here? Why are you h-hanging out with the w-werewolves?"

"Lizzie?" Dad frowned. "What're you doing here? How do you know about the werewolves? Go home. I don't know what you're up to, but you shouldn't be involved in all of this. It's not for you, and I don't want you associated with werewolves. Or vampires, as this man happens to be."

"It's too late," I insisted. "I'm already part of this-this world. I'm a vampire, Daddy. Now answer my question. What are you doing with the werewolves?"

"Please, love," Dad almost sobbed. "Now's not the time for cozy chit-chat. Go home, sweetheart. Get yourself out of this mess. I don't care if you're a vampire. You can still live a human life."

"Let us in, and neither you nor your daughter will be harmed," Klaus tried, though I knew that every word pouring from his mouth was a lie. "I would like to speak to your pack. And before you accuse me of kidnapping your daughter, or anything along those lines, she came with me willingly. Fancied playing the heroine for a change. We just want to talk with you and your pack, then we'll be gone and won't interfere with you again."

For a manipulative bastard, Klaus was a pretty convincing actor. Even I was falling for his charade - and it takes a whole fucking lot for me to be fooled. There was a large chance that my father would buy this act, and that we'd be able to get off with one of their werewolves before they could even figure out what we were up to.

"Dad, just hear us out," I begged, tempted to fall down onto my knees.

A man came up behind my father, and I recognised his face, also. What was this? Some werewolf family reunion?

"Uncle Rob," I sighed, not at all surprised. "I should have known you'd be involved. Are there any more family secrets that I don't know about? Am I secretly half werewolf?"

"This isn't the time to discuss family complications, Lizzie," Rob insisted. "But, please, do come in."

"Rob," Dad breathed. "Do you think it's wise to let in this-" Dad gestured to Klaus as he tried to think up a plausible adjective, "-abomination?"

"I'm an abomination?" Klaus grimaced. "You couldn't be more right, mate. I am an abomination. I killed my entire family. Big deal. Now, please, Mr Jameson, step aside and let your daughter and I through."

Dad followed disciplinary orders, making a tight gap in the doorway for us to fit through. Klaus allowed me to go first. We both had to duck under the low ceiling. The house was overheated and smelt strongly of beer and death. The place consisted of one room, dimly lit with melting candles. I nodded politely to the men crouched around the edge of the room - there had to be around ten of them altogether. Father and Rob joined them, and I stood aimlessly in the centre of the room. Klaus came up by my side and rested a hand on my shoulder.

"Evening, men," he greeted. I could hear the smirk in his voice without looking at him. "Thank you for allowing me and my assistant to gain access into your home. We appreciate it very much. I presume that you all know my assistant. Correct?"

All of the men nodded, and I gazed around at their tortured complexions, each one subtly familiar. They weren't direct relatives, but I knew them well enough. They all stared at me, both looks of confusion and disappointment crossing their features in unison. I curved up the corners of my lips into a desperate smile.

"Anyway," Klaus continued, "there is a reason why we are here. I believe you all know it's a full moon tomorrow?"

All of the men nodded again, exchanging cautious glances before turned back with their eyes intent on Klaus and I. I cleared my throat nervously.

"Well then," Klaus started, before facing me. "I'll let dearest Lizzie explain the rest."

"What?" I hissed. You're the one that wants them. Do your own dirty work!"

"Make something up," Klaus encouraged. "Tell them about the hybrids."

I let out a long breath before spontaneously blurting out a load of crap.

"My friend Klaus here is a hybrid. A vampire crossed with a werewolf. He can change into a werewolf whenever suits him, and can do the same with his vampire instincts. This condition is extremely beneficial, and we would like to offer one of your men the opportunity to become a hybrid. It does work. My friend Tyler happens to be the first artificial hybrid. He's perfectly fine. So, we've come here to discuss who out of you men would like to come back with us and try this out for yourselves."

I was hoping that Klaus would take over from my failing lie, but he was too busy being occupied by the can of beer in his hand. I rolled my eyes. Typical man. I was going to have to be the one to continue the lie until the point that we received a willing volunteer, who didn't have a clue what he was signing up to.

"And why have you come to us?" Dad asked huskily.

"Because our werewolf pack in Mystic Falls is pretty much extinct," I admitted. "There's Tyler Lockwood, who we've already turned, but that's about it."

A low mutter errupted from the men as they contemplated my offer. Despite the fact that I had made up the whole thing, it sounded pretty convincing, and I hoped that I stood a chance of one of them buying it.

"Nice one," Klaus approved in my ear. "Think they're going to buy it?"

"It's a possibility," I muttered. "Though I seriously doubt it. This is why we should have left you in charge of the persuasion, and me in charge of the violence."

"But I enjoy the violence."

"So do I. And I'm good with torture. It's what I do. Physical. Mental. Psychological. Internal. External. You get the picture."

"And I can kill you in an instant, if I so wished."

"Excuse me," one of the men interrupted. "We've decided to take up your offer."

"Oh, have you know?" Klaus smirked. "How beneficial. Which one of you will accompany us back to Mystic Falls?"

Dad stepped forward, and a mumbled protest rolled of my lips. Klaus took my chin in his fingers and pulled my face around to his.

"Don't do anything you'll regret in the long run," he warned, and I pressed my lips together tightly as he released his grip on me. "Carry on, men."

Dad walked up to Klaus until their faces were inches apart. I suddenly gained horrifying mental images, inspired by taunts from my past, but I shoved them away, focusing on the fact that Dad was unknowingly offering to be slaughtered.

"I'll do it," he announed. "I'll try out this damn hybrid thing."

"Now, there's the spirit." Klaus gave me a pointed look and I winced at the bitterness in his eyes. A spine-tingling feeling told me my father being used in this sacrifice thing was now inevitable.

Oh, yippee.