Chapter Twenty-Nine - Just A Friendly Get Together

"What are you doing?" I asked apprehensively, closing the front door behind me.

"Elena has requested a 'normal evening' , and Stefan being, well, Stefan, he's giving her what she wants," Damon shrugged, rolling his eyes as he carried a stack of plates into the kitchen. "However, Stefan's going a bit overboard."

"What's new?" I called after him. "Need a hand?"

"We could do without your help," Elena scolded, appearing out of nowhere. She approached me with long strides, her fists clenched by her sides. "Jeremy just phoned me, distraught. Said you'd been round to see him. I hate to be harsh, and I don't know what happened while you were over there, but just stay away from my brother."

I let out a long sigh, wishing that there was some way of forgetting the incident at the Gilbert house. I put on the fakest of smiles and let the lie escape from my lips; the lips Jeremy had touched only moments ago. "It was nothing, Elena. We just had a very deep conversation - a personal one, at that. I guess what we spoke about kind of hit home for him. I didn't intend to do him any harm, Elena. I promise. I'd never want to do him any harm. He's a good kid."

"I know he is," Elena nodded. "And I don't want to see him get hurt. I appreciate it that you were trying to help him with this 'deep conversation' , but, please, just help him through it all afterwards. He's been through a lot, Lizzie. More than he can handle. It's difficult for him. I mean, I'm not making the wisest of choices at the moment, but it's all for the best. You'll all realise that. Klaus is one to stick to his word. You've just got to make sure that there are no loopholes in the deal you make with him. I've already checked through everything I said, and everything that I'm going to say to him. There's no way he can play me on this one."

It sounded like Elena was reassuring herself of these details more than she was notifying me of the details of making a deal with Klaus. In a way I was glad that Elena dared to share such thoughts, as it showed that maybe, some day soon, she'd be able to trust me. Wait. What am I thinking? That's just not possible. I'll always hate Elena, and she'll always hate me. It's just how it's supposed to be, period. Nothing can ever change.

I spun on my heel and walked off, leaving Elena to ponder her thoughts. Damon and Stefan were in the kitchen. While Damon was crouched on the floor, leaning into a cupboard filled with fragile glass, Stefan was stood on his toes, stretching up  and trying to grab something from the top of one of the highest cupboards. I leaned against the door frame and folded my arms across my chest.

"And what do we have here then?" I inquired, cocking an eyebrow at the brothers as they turned to face me. Though I came across looking at Damon, I was actually eyeing up Stefan's muscles under his tight grey shirt. I smirked to myself before standing up straight and stepping forward with dramatic footfalls.

"Stefan cooking dinner," Damon exclaimed, purring across just the right amount of sarcasm to make the situation funny.

"Big shocker," I teased, gasping. "I'd have never of thought someone with your breathtaking looks would actually know how to cook. You muscly guys almost have as bad a reputation as the blonds. It's not good for your ego, you know. Being muscly, I mean. You could suddenly get too cocky and then everyone will turn on you. I've seen it in movies."

"Now your talking shit," Damon smiled, turning back into the cupboard. "Say something interesting, blondie. I'm bored here. Saint Stefan has me on the 'find the vintage crystal glasses' mission. I need to be audibly entertained."

"Sorry," I sighed. "I can't help you there. I'm too blonde to come up with something witty to say to you. Anything else I can do? Pour some blood into one of those fancy crystal glasses you possess? I'm sure you vamps are hungry. I know that I haven't eaten in a day or two. Surely you two haven't kept yourselves fed."