Chapter Fifteen - As If Things Couldn't Get More Complicated

"He what?" Elena gasped.

"He bit Katherine," Stefan shrugged.

"And where's Katherine?" she asked frantically.

"She staggered off somewhere," Damon said, seemingly happy. "Hopefully, the bitch has left to die."

Elena sighed - almost with relief - and sat down beside Stefan. She didn't even mind the fact that her leg was only centimetres from Damon's. I guessed that she was just glad that Katherine was supposedly dead - or, at least, sentenced to death by the werewolf bite. I know that I was glad Katherine was gone, and I barely knew the jackass.

After the episode at the masquerade ball, we'd all made our way back to the Salvatore boarding house. Stefan, Damon and Elena were all sat down on the long sofa, while Jeremy and Bonnie were in the kitchen, making coffee. I was just lingering wherever I was wanted.

"So, what now?" I inquired.

Damon considered this. "You know; this and that. Now that the evil slut vampire is out of the picture, we can have a bit of fun," he smirked after a long pause, rubbing his hands together. I saw Elena roll her eyes. Stefan rubbed her arm sympathetically. I love how she subtly manages to piss me off.

"I better get going," she said, standing up.

"I'll drive you," Stefan insisted.

"Thank you, Stefan," she smiled, bending down to kiss him. He cradled her face in his cupped hands and held onto her lips. Ugh. Disgusting. Mind you, they were probably only doing it just to piss off Damon.

Yet, as I openly glared at them, I saw passion and adoration in Stefan's eyes, and noticed the feeling was mutual between the two of them as Elena's fingers lightly caressed his jaw bone. It was like watching a Gothic version of "Cinderella". Elena's the poor, little girl who's parents have passed away, while Stefan's the handsome prince who comes to her rescue. It's kind of sweet, really.

But, it would never be like that between Damon and I. It could never be like that between Damon and I. I'm a million miles away from being sensitive, for a start. I mean, just look at the way I handled my mother's death. I cried for a couple of hours, but I somehow got over it within a day or two. And then, I'd just never be able to cope with all of the worry and fear. I'd never be able to handle it all. The pressure of not being to look at a buff guy's arse just because your boyfriend is sitting next to you. The thought of knowing that, at any minute, your boyfriend could just turn on you without any warning, just because you laughed at some other guy's joke. To me, it all seems like too much. But, I guess that's the kind of things you put up with if you truly love someone.

Then again, I suppose that with Damon, it would be different. He seems more laid back, and not so uptight. He's lived through a lot, and he just needs a bit of love. I've seen how Elena treats him, and if that's anything like how Katherine's treated him, then I would truly hate to be in his shoes.

Although I was dying to know more of Damon's past, I was slowly going off the idea of asking him. What if he couldn't handle reliving it in his mind? I mean, he may be strong, and act like he doesn't care, but it can't be all that easy. On the outside, he doesn't give a damn, but, on the inside, he's just as vulnerable as every other human being on this planet; whether they're the living, supernatural, or the living dead. Everyone suffers from vulnerability, whether they care to admit it, or not.

Oh, Hell. Here I am, mentally talking to myself, while Damon had to endure the fact that Elena and Stefan were still kissing.

I cleared my throat, though it was never blocked. "Ahem."