Chapter Twenty-Seven - When Love Takes Over

"You what?" Stefan asked, puzzled.

"I said that you're going to turn me," Elena repeated.

"What? No, you can't," Stefan said hoarsely. "You're just - Elena you just can't do something like that. It's not what you wanted the first time round, and you're only doing it now to please everyone else. Just say no to Klaus. You've already let him kill you once. Don't let him do it again, Elena. Please, don't let him do it again. Think about yourself. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you. Don't let some psychotic bastard take that away from you. I love you, Elena, and I can't lose you. Not now. Not ever."

"You're not losing me, Stefan," Elena said reassuringly, cupping her hands around Stefan's face and directing his eyes to hers. "I'll be with you forever. An eternity together; just you and I. It's what you want, isn't it? Please, Stefan. Just let me do this. If not for your sake, then for mine."

Tears once again welled up in Stefan's eyes, and I could feel my own eyes stinging slightly. I could sense Damon behind me, his angst so strong that it was almost visible. Everyone in the room was waiting for him to pounce on Elena and snap her fragile little neck. Better she be dead than have Damon spend an eternity pining after her. However, much to my obvious dismay, he just sat and stared at my back, ignoring the little romance scene before us.

After Elena had first announced her decision to Stefan, Damon had ordered me to phone up Caroline. As I scrolled through my contact list and found Caroline's number under the nickname "World's Biggest Harlot," I began to feel a bit...reluctant? Yeah. I think that's the word. So, as I located her number on my extended contact list, I began to feel reluctant.

When she picked up the phone, I greeted her with a fake yet totally believable politeness - no bad language used, of course - and she still let out a long moan at the sound of my voice. Once her small sighs had died down, I gave her a brief summary of the recent events and, after more pathetic whining, she agreed to come over. I hung up the phone immediately, praying that her visit would somehow be postponed.

And then she'd brought over Tyler Lockwood. He and I and never seen eye-to-eye. Then again, we had rarely had many encounters that needed time to be filled by pointless conversation. But as I let them into the house with a feeling of hesitation, Tyler threw his arms around me and pressed me violently against his muscled chest.

"How you doing, Lizzie?" he smiled, tucking a loose blond curl behind my ear.

"Good thanks, Tyler," I replied, doing my best to be civil, despite the fact that my last encounter with Tyler had included watching him writhe in pain under the influence of the full moon. "And yourself? I dread to think what it's like to have to go through that every month. PMS is - well, was, I should say - painful enough, let alone having my bone structure deform on a monthly basis."

I shut my mouth then, scared that I'd just said something offensive. I mean, I know that the full moon had only just passed, but it only took Tyler to misinterpret one little word and I was as good as dead. Damon had warned me of the things the werewolves could do to vampires, and of how the natural state of loathing between the two species was inevitable.

Tyler just grimaced at me, his dark eyes wide. "I'm doing good. Thanks. Getting used to the werewolf thing, I suppose. It's a bitch at first, but it has gotten much easier."

Caroline walked up behind Tyler and ruffled his thick hair, smirking at me over his broad shoulder. "Hello, Lizzie," she drawled, putting emphasis into my name. "I'm guessing you're good?"

"Yes, Caroline," I sighed impatiently. Hadn't Tyler and I just had a similar discussion? Regardless, I suppose that blonds have always had a terrible reputation within most common societies, and it only takes a stupid little prick like Caroline Forbes to keep that reputation fresh and up to date. Sadly, I was one of those blonds given much disrespect because of Barbie dolls like Caroline.

Moving on. We had all been ushered back into the living room, and everything was silent if you didn't include Elena and Stefan's little conversation going on in the corner. Caroline had also brought Jeremy along, who was now sat by my side, looking at me consciously, as if I were mentally disturbed. I ignored these small glances; they were, after all, coming from someone in a position no different to my own.

"What happens now then?" Jeremy spoke up. I let out a long breath that I must have been holding for a while, as it felt good to empty my lungs.

"We all sit back and watch as Klaus' plan takes place and Elena once again plays the heroine," Damon muttered, getting up and sitting on the vacant seat beside me.

"Damon, it's not like that," Elena protested. "You know it's not like that. It's for the-"

"-the best," Damon scoffed, interrupting her in mid sentence. "We've heard this speech before. Spare us and don't repeat it. Please. We know that you're going to let Klaus drink your Petrova blood and save all of your family from instant death. We get it."

"Damon, don't," Stefan insisted, brushing his fingers against Elena's damp cheeks. "She doesn't deserve this. You know she doesn't."

"Shut it, Saint Stefan," Damon warned. "I don't want to hear another word from you."

Then the room fell silent once again, and I was left to ponder over the many events taking place on this completely fucked up Earth.

It seemed like I suddenly had a long lifetime ahead of me.

*****

"What do you want?" I groaned, putting down the copy of TwilightCaroline had lent me in a poor attempt to piss me off.

"It's just me," Damon whispered softly, slowly walking into the room and occupying the remainder of the oversized bed. "You okay?"

"I suppose," I sighed, resting my head in my hands and turning to face my complicated boyfriend. His blue eyes were watery and I smiled at his sudden burst of emotion. He smiled back, though I doubt he had a motive.

"I'm glad," he chuckled, though there was no humour displayed on his face. "It's been tough for you, hasn't it?"

"Oh, yes," I replied, forcing myself not to zone out.

"I'm sorry about that," he mumbled, truly apologetic. "I've been harsh on you for pathetic reasons, when you're the one getting me through all of this. Thank you, Lizzie. It means a Hell of a lot to me."

"You're the reason I'm here. Without you, I could be back in England with my drunken father and his abusive colleagues."

"It's hard having a father too preoccupied to care, isn't it? My father was like that. Dear old Giuseppe Salvatore lived his last few months dedicated to destroying the vampire of Mystic Falls, and the amount of times I bickered with him are countless. But his obsession got him killed eventually. By a vampire, might I add. And then, to top it all of, that vampire was his son. Stefan was the one to bring death upon Giuseppe Salvatore, and I'm damn proud of him for doing so."

I used to live in a world where wishing death upon anyone you loved was considered a crime. If you so much as resented someone you would be mentally and emotionally punished until you would force youself to do good again. The world I lived in now was a much different place.

In this world you could be yourself. If you hated someone, then there was nothing that could be done about that. Though hate will always be a strong word, it could still be used without severe consequences, and for that I was grateful. Without hatred in the world I would be nothing. You need to hate someone and feel loathing towards someone in order to make yourself feel like a somebody. That loathing didn't need to be openly harsh - though a problem shared is a problem halved.

All mention of negativity aside, this new world allowed you to love. Whereas the old world was all about reproduction and evolution and ensuring that the next generation would be well-provided for, the new world was filled with many oppertunities for intimate relationships. The new world allowed you to love and to be loved, and to love without having to worry about the future, whether it be near or far.

Love is why we do it. Love is worth the pain. Love is why we fall down and get back up again. Love is where the heart lies. Love is from above. Love is this. This is love.

How "This Is Love" by The Script comes into these thoughts is unknown, but, from my perspective, it explains life. Or, at least one aspect of life.

Love is the most powerful energy known to mankind. I understand that now.