Chapter Seven - That's A Tempting Thought

I opened my eyes, blinking as the curtains were pulled open and a mass of sunlight made it's way into the room. Finally opening my eyes, I spotted Damon standing by the window. He turned to me, his lips parting.

"You have a visitor," was all he said.

"What?" Who would visit me?

Sitting up, I realised that I had been transported home and was now laying in the comfort of my own bed. Damon couldn't have been here long, as he would never help out a human, but he was still dressed as he was yesterday. Maybe he'd stayed over. How...sweet. In a freaky, out-of-character way.

"I said you have a visitor," Damon repeated.

"Where?"

"Downstairs."

I quickly jumped up from my bed and sprinted down the stairs. Damon followed close behind me. "In there." He pointed to the living room as I reached the bottom of the stairs. I walked into the darkened room hesitantly.

Sitting on the chocolate coloured sofa was my father.

"Dad," I breathed. My father stood up, and I ran straight into his arms, burying my face in his chest. My eyes started burning.

"It's okay, sweetheart," he whispered, tightening his grip on me and kissing the top of my head. "Everything's going to be okay."

"She's gone," I sobbed, my voice muffled. "She's dead. Mum's dead."

"I know," he replied sadly. "The Sheriff told me everything."

And then Dad noticed Damon standing by the door.

"Who's this?" he asked. I stepped back.

"Dad, this is Damon," I swallowed. "I was with him last night." Dad frowned at me. "Not like that!" Although, I actually was with him like that.

Damon walked towards my father, politely extending one of his hands. My father took it, shaking it almost violently, then dropping it. Damon put an arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to him. I rested my head on his shoulder.

"What did the Sheriff say?" I asked, trying to break the tension.

Dad sighed, pushing his grey hair from his face. "Some kind of animal attack. Said it's been happening a lot lately. Death by little forest animal. Crazy, if you ask me. But, that's all they've got, and I trust 'em."

Damon squeezed me reassuringly, and I guessed everything had been sorted out. Damon and Sheriff Forbes had covered up the truth about my mother's death, pronouncing it an animal attack, as they usually do.

After a while, I turned back to my father. "What're you doing here, Dad?"

He pressed his lips together, concentrating. I began to wonder whether he had acknowledged my question, and became doubtful. I asked it again.

Dad squeezed his eyes shut. "You're coming back to England."

I shook my head, shocked. "No. No, Dad. I'm not. I have a life here. I have friends here. I like it here. I thought Mum had ruined my life by transferring me to this town, but now I look at my life here - with Ronnie, and Annie, and Damon, and all of my friends - I've realised that I love it here. That this is where I belong. Not sitting in a cold apartment by myself while you go out to the old tavern by the bridge and drink until you can barely stand."

My father snapped back immediately. "Elizabeth Marie Jameson, you listen to me. You are under eighteen. It's illegal for you to take care of yourself, and I'm not going against the law now. You have one week to pack up and say goodbye. I am taking you back to England, and that is final."