Chapter Eleven - You're Really Living Up To Your Name, You Know

"So, this is how the other half live, huh?" I laughed.

"Very much so," Katherine nodded. "Fun, isn't it?"

"I think that's an understatement," I sighed. "You've lived like this since when?"

"On and off since 1492," she said proudly. "Of course, I've travelled a lot. Started off in Bulgaria, and ended up here. Mystic Falls."

I smiled. "All of the freaks seem to end up here. I'm one of them."

"You're not too bad," Katherine grimaced. "I suppose this place has some good in it. I mean, this is the town where I met the Salvatore brothers."

"Really?" I was truly surprised. "Have they been here all along? What happened? Damon and I have yet to talk about all of this stuff. We've only known each other for about a week, and most of that time has been spent shagging and biting."

Katherine giggled. "That's how most relationships with Damon progress. He's just too awkward. And you ask what happened? Well, I'm sure you'd rather have Damon or Stefan tell you that."

"No," I disagreed. "You might as well tell me, while I'm here. As long as you tell me the truth."

"I have nothing better to do," Katherine complained. "You're not as fun as you look. It's a shame. But, I suppose that I could give you an insight as to what life with the Salvatore brothers can be like. Please don't go thinking that life's a breeze when you're a vampire. Are you sitting comfortably?" she asked, sarcastically. "Then let's begin.

"I travelled to Mystic Falls with my maid, Emily. She was a witch. We took up residence at the Salvatore house. Giuseppe was more than willing to have us. I was posing as a poor, orphaned girl from Atlanta, who had lost her family in a fire. What a pity it was. I managed to convince everyone that I was human. There were twenty six other vampires in Mystic Falls, including Pearl and her daughter Annabelle. Dear, old, Johnathan Gilbert fell in love with Miss Pearl.

"Anyway, whilst staying at the Salvatore house, I became close to both Damon and Stefan. Both of them admired me. However, Sweet Stefan was engaged to Rosalyn Cartwright. She was such a drag. God knows why Stefan proposed to her. I became jealous, and removed her from the picture. Then I progressed to being extremely close to the Salvatore brothers. They were both competing for my affections, but I only returned the feeling to one of them.

"Stefan. It's always been Sweet, Sensitive, Stefan. I only compelled him because he would have blabbed to his father - revealing my secret - if I hadn't. But, most importantly, he would have ran the first chance he got. And I didn't want him to run. I loved him. Damon, on the other hand, didn't need compelling. He wanted to become a vampire so that he could spend an eternity with me. He adored me. What a shame the feeling wasn't mutual.

"I never loved Damon. He was willing to give me blood, and I was willing to accept, no matter the price. Then the Founders' rounded up all of the vampires and prepared to burn them in the church. Stefan and Damon tried to rescue me, but were both shot down. They died with my blood in their system - Damon's willingly, Stefan's by force -  and I had Emily escort there bodies away. Emily also managed to get all of the vampires in the crypt under the church, to avoid their death. They stayed there for 145 years, until Damon - thinking I was in the tomb with them - let them all escape. They're dead now.The recently desceased John Gilbert saw to that.

"I was supposed to be in the tomb, and everyone thought I was, but I made a deal with George Lockwood. I gave him something he wanted in return for him helping me to escape. Before I left, I said farewell to Stefan. I kissed him one last time, then just left.