Chapter Five - And That's What I Get For Hanging Out With A Vampire

"Why haven't you killed me yet?" I asked.

"Because, for some odd reason which I haven't yet identified, I like you," he said bluntly, almost as if he was angry at himself.

"I still don't like you," I informed him. "You're a vampire. You keep biting me. It hurts. If you keep taking my blood, you'll kill me."

"I've already explained all of this. It's what I do. I can't help it. You're not dead yet because your sarcasm is surprisingly interesting."

"I'm not dead because you like my sarcasm? Gee, thanks. For a minute there I thought you were going to say I'm so amazing that you want to keep me around for your benefit. But, that's not something the charming brother of Stefan Salvatore would say, is it?"

"Don't push your luck. You're a younger, less dashing, female version of myself. You know how to have a good laugh. What does Stefan call it? Oh, yeah. Damon humour. Original, isn't it?"

"Very," I nodded. "Does Stefan know you're a vampire?"

"Oh, please," he shook his head in disbelief. "Stefan is a vampire."

I nearly choked on my coffee.

Damon had driven us to the Grill. He was surprisingly calm, and wasn't being too much of a bastard. When he wasn't biting me, he wasn't bad company. I could think of worse.

"Stefan's a vampire?" I whispered.

"Uh huh. Turned by the same bitch who turned me. One day I'll track that ass down and I'll-"

I interrupted him. "Yes, you'll kill her. How does Stefan get away with seeing Elena? I mean, does he feed from her, or...?"

Damon frowned. "Stefan's adopted what I suppose you would call the Cullen Diet. He only feeds from the sweet little animals. Too scared he won't be able to control himself. He'll be like a vampire Jack the Ripper. Quite awesome really. But, he's a bore, and there's no point in even trying to change him."

"And does Stefan know that you're telling me all of this?"

"No. If he did he'd be on your case twenty-four-seven checking that you don't spill the beans. Besides, he knows I can just compel you. It's my speciality."

"How does this compelling thing work, anyway?"

"If I told you that you'd find some incredibly annoying way of resisting the only power I have over you."

"You wouldn't do it anyway. You seem surprisingly nice."

"How d'you know I haven't compelled you to say that?"

I sighed shortly. "Don't get me started. I won't sleep for months because of that question. I'll play with my mind. Mark my words."

"Would you like me to compel you to forget that?"

"No. Who knows what else you'd make me do?"

He raised his eye brows and smiled at me. Goosebumps worked their way into my skin, and my head began screaming. "Get away from him!" it yelled. "You know what the fucking hell he is. Now think about it." I ignored it. Only the mentally insane people hear voices in their head.

Damon stood up. "We'd better get you home. I'm looking forward to meeting that mother of yours."

I glared at him. "You'll stay away from my mother."

"Or you'll do what? Set the bunny rabbits on me? Come on, Lizzie. I won't hurt her. You trust me, don't you?"

"No, Damon. I don't trust you. You're an arrogant bastard, not to mention the fact that you're a fucking bloodsucker."