Chapter Thirty - Go Tell Elena Then

I spooned the lasagne into my mouth, savouring the taste. It wasn't as appealing as blood, but it was still food. It was also helping to cure the killer headache given to me by my alcohol binge only an hour ago.Maybe Stefan was right. Maybe I shouldn't have drank that bottle of vodka.

Damon, on the other hand, couldn't be more lively. He was currently making conversation with Alaric about the Council, and what a crap job they were doing to help the population of Mystic Falls. Alaric just nodded to whatever Damon was saying, his facial expression showing both confusion and amusement. Alaric didn't generally share the same views as Damon, and what didn't help was that this behaviour wasn't usual Damon behaviour, and I was sure this wasn't brought on by alcohol.

"Where are you keeping it?" I asked spontaneously as Stefan carried all of the empty plates into the kitchen.

"Keeping what?" Damon grimaced, taking a small sip of whiskey.

"The Ecstasy?" I prompted, putting down my glass of wine.

"I don't have any Ecstasy," he replied, sounding genuinely innocent. "I'm just in a good mood. That's all. That okay with you?"

"Oh, yeah," I smiled, unsure of what to say next. "That's perfectly fine with me."

"Can I have a hand?" Stefan yelled from the kitchen.

"I'll go," I volunteered, standing up.

"Me too," Jeremy spoke up, also getting up. Together we walked out of the dining room and headed for the kitchen. However, just before we reached the kitchen door, Jeremy turned to face me and forced me back against the wall, his hands either side of my head.

"What was that back at mine?" he growled, looking into my eyes.

"I don't know, Jeremy," I whispered honestly. "What happened just...happened."

"There's a reason for everything," he challenged.

"Well, you give me the reason, then," I insisted. "I wasn't the only one to make a move. You came on to me - there's no way you can truthfully deny that."

"Okay, so I came on to you," he gave in. "Big deal. You came on to me, too. It's a two-way thing. What I want to know is why you came on to me."

"Because I feel sorry for you! Is that what you want to hear?"

"You know that's not what I want to hear. I want to hear the truth, and you of all people should know that that is definitely not the truth. Tell me why you came on to me, or I'll tell Elena."

"So now you're going to tell tales to that pathetic sister of yours? Go ahead. Be my guest. What have I to lose?"

"You're facial features, perhaps?"

"Of course, Jeremy. Your sister is going to beat me up. How could I forget?"

"Don't be sarcastic with me. I have enough of that from Damon, and I don't need-"

"Lizzie? Jeremy?" Stefan called, interrupting Jeremy's rant. "I thought you said that you were coming out to help?"

"We're coming," I responded. "We just needed a chat."

I nudged Jeremy and he reluctantly stepped away from me, setting off on his route back to the kitchen. I was a few steps behind him, keeping my eyes facing down. I wasn't going to risk Jeremy catching my eyes again.

Stefan was loading the dishwasher, and I was actually surprised that guys as...old?...as Stefan and Damon actually had a dishwasher. Huh. You learn something new everyday, I guess.