Chapter Thirty-Eight - What. The. Hell?

I buried my head in Damon's shoulder, refusing to look at my father, who was struggling to contain the werewolf inside of him under the weight of two shirtless men who'd inevitably been compelled by Klaus. Stefan squeezed my hand encouragingly, and Damon smoothed by hair against the back of my head.

"Make it stop," I whimpered, almost choking on my words. "Please, Damon. Make it stop."

"It'll be okay," he murmured. "It'll all be over in a minute. Bonnie's speeding up the transformation. He'll be gone in a minute. He'll go to a better place. Just hold on for a minute or so."

"He won't feel anything," Stefan assured me. "He'll die painlessly. Tearing out the heart is the most painless way. I promise."

Stefan's words actually made an impact on me. Keeping my arms stiff by my side, I lifted up my head and stared at my father through the fringe hanging over my eyes. Klaus was approaching him slowly, as if he was trying to make each step forward count for something. I moved my eyes back to my father.

He looked completely agonised. I just wanted to jump in there and sacrifice myself. My father didn't know what he was getting himself into. If I was only his real daughter. Then I could give myself to Klaus instead of watching someone I love die like this...

Bonnie eased the circle of flames as Klaus grew closer and closer to the mess of a werewolf writing on the floor. The shirtless men backed away as if this whole routine had been planned all along.

I rested my eyes on Bonnie. She was focused, her gaze hard on where the action was most dominant. Though determination lingered in the chocolate brown, the fear, the worry and the regret all shone through. That was when I finally got it into my head that Bonnie wasn't choosing to do this. She was simply being forced.

In a regular situation, that would have been fine with me. Forcing someone to do something is the easiest way to get it done. However, I'd grown rather fond of Bonnie over the past few weeks, and hated to see her having to do something completely out of her nature. It sickened me to the bones. And I wasn't going to stand for it. If only I could find a way to distract Klaus and give Bonnie enough time to get out of here...

"I know what you're thinking," Damon breathed. "And it won't work. Even if you think up a perfect little plan in that mind of yours, I won't let you go through with it. Bonnie knew what she was getting herself into when she came out here this evening. She could have just stayed tucked up in bed where the big bad hybrid can't get her. But, no. She came out here and got herself caught up in some voodoo ritual shit. Don't bother. Don't risk your life just to save her conscience."

"You make a very valid point," I replied. "Despite the fact I disagree with you. Someone like Bonnie doesn't deserve to have this on their conscience forever. It's wrong."

"But, you risking your life won't for anything for her conscience. If you try and distract Klaus so Bonnie can get away, Klaus will kill you. Then Bonnie will have that on her conscience."

I growled under by breath. "Please, be quiet. You're not helping my situation."

"I never intended to help your situation, love."

I kept my eyes tight on Klaus as he crouched down on the grass, one arm extended towards the man uncontrollably shifting between human and werewolf. I gulped as the hand reached into the man's chest and tore out his heart.

And then it was over. Just like that. Dad was dead.

I held back the tears, determined to do Damon proud. What kind of girlfriend would I be if I started crying right here, right now? That's right. I would be a humane one. That was most definitely not what I wanted.