Chapter Thirty-Nine - Wait. What Just Happened!?

"What. The. Hell?" I repeated.

Damon's hands came off of my waist and slapped together in applause.

I let go of Stefan's hand and did the same.

Stefan copied my actions.

Elena looked up from her lap and turned to us, her curious eyes widening. She followed our gazes. Her draw dropped open, then closed itself as a smug grin spread across her face. She turned to Bonnie.

A tear rolled down Bonnie's cheek and gracefully dropped onto the stone alter. She laughed nervously.

Tyler reacted to Bonnie's laugh and beamed at her, as if what had just happened was her doing.

Bonnie beamed back it him, throwing a sideways glance at Caroline.

Caroline smiled in Tyler's direction, her sapphire eyes swimming with awe.

Tyler began screaming with victory. He sprinted over to Caroline and locked her in an embrace.

Caroline dropped Klaus' heart onto the grass, right beside Klaus' body.

Klaus' body didn't move.

He was dead.

Klaus. Was. Dead.

Caroline had grasped the opportunity to reach into his chest and rip out his heart and the time he'd lowered his barriers and was foolish enough to forget all cautiousness.

We all burst into raucous applause. Tyler continued to scream, but Caroline cut him off as she locked her lips with his. Bonnie executed the rings of fire and ran over to Elena, dragging her up and hugging her tightly. Stefan also went over to Elena, taking her from Bonnie and swinging her around. The pair mimicked Caroline and Tyler's embrace.

Damon and I just stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do next. We could always make out, though that idea was completely cliche, not to mention pathetic and predictable.

No, we most definitely would not start making out. It just wasn't our style. We didn't need to make out in order to celebrate. Anyway, there wasn't much that I needed to celebrate.

Klaus was dead. Hooray. How brilliant for all of us. Yet no celebration was needed. A death was a solemn thing, even if the life lost was a complete bastard. Ugh. Enough brooding - I was beginning to sound like Stefan. I decided to work on Damon.

"Cheer up, Damon," I prompted, gradually becoming bored of the victorious scene happening before me. "Elena's not going to be a vampire, after all. There's still a chance that you two can hook up again. Right?"

"Correction," Elena called over as Stefan set her on her feet again. Damon and I approached them slowly, both wearing a mask of confusion. It seemed Stefan was in the same position as us; he didn't even know what the hell Elena was on about.

"Go on," I nodded.

"For so long, I haven't wanted to become a vampire," she began. "Not yet. But, when I volunteered to be killed in the sacrifice, I knew what I wanted. I wanted to be with Stefan forever. Since he was freed by Klaus, I've come to the realisation that there's no time to waste. If I want to spend an eternity with someone, I can't do it as a human. Also, my insignificant affair with Damon made me love Stefan even more." Damon stiffened slightly. Elena smiled at him sympathetically before continuing. "I prepared myself for this, and I've decided it's what I want. Stefan, I still want you to turn me."

"But, Elena," he protested. "How? How are you supposed to come to your death? I'm not going to kill you.Klaus was supposed to kill you. I can't do it. I just-"