Chapter 20 : Reconstruction

Konoha was a state of unrest. It had been a week since the attack on Konoha.

For the moment Shikaku Nara handled the village administration.

The only person to die had been Hiruzen-sama...but the village had to be repaired quickly.

The high walls had been broken, the buildings were shattered and the village security had not been restored yet.

This incident placed Konoha in a sceptical position. It threatens Kohoha's position as one of the five great shinobi nations since the alliance between the sand and leaf had not been fixed yet.

The genin and chuunin level missions were put on hold. The jonin and higher level ninjas were given extra missions to raise the funds required for reconstruction.

Akame remembered the letter from the late Hokage. It had passed through tokubetsu jonin Gekko Hayate, ANBU captains Mugetsu Ryouma and Kizashi Daichi.

The letter clearly stated that the information was to be kept strictly confidential.

'Dear Akame,

We welcome you to Konohagakure, the shinobi village of the land of fire.

Theoretically non shinobis are not allowed to enter the village, but we are willing to give you a providential pass to the village.

You shall be required to give your allegiance to the village. In case if you are outside the village for more than 730 days without permission, your status shall be changed to rogue ninja with a 'kill at sight' command.

You are entitled to the following:-

1. Residence in the village.

2. An official rank and the payment share for missions successfully completed.

.

.

.

.

Akame sighed as she thought about it. The letter never said that she would be considered a part of the village. It just said that she should give their allegiance to them.

The only reason she accepted such a ridiculous offer was because of her faith in the Sandaime Hokage.

But now...the witnesses, Gekko Hayate, Mugetsu Ryouma, Kizashi Daichi. Out of them Hayate-san and Hokage-sama were already dead. She could only hope that the other two don't die soon...they are the only proof that she is allowed in the village.

* * * * *

Akame and Sasuke went to the dango shop. It has been a really long time since they had hung out together.

Akame: Ne...Sasuke-san, how is your cursed seal?

Sasuke pulled on his shirt's collar a little. Akame could see the mark clearly. Every time he used it seal's power, the mark seemed to get embossed even more strongly onto his skin.

Sasuke: It's not as troublesome as it looks. Because of Kakashi-sensei's jutsu, as long as my will is strong, I can resist the seal. If I come across a situation where I need to fight against a stronger opponent, the seal begins to subconsciously pump it's chakra into my system. In that case I either lose my control or the power makes me...sadistic.

Akame: I see...

If it was what Akame thought it was, then it wasn't too different from her Murasame's possession mode. In that case she could actually help him.

Sasuke: So...what happened to you on the final day of the chuunin exams?

Akame: I got an assassin request from Hokage-sama. Kill the intruders. I found those mutants about to breach Konoha walls. Beside them were the summoners who had summoned the snakes. I had to kill them all.

Sasuke looked at her keenly.

Sasuke: So as long as you are on the side of justice, you are not hesitant to kill?

Akame nodded and Sasuke let out a small smile. He was right in wanting to team up with her. She wasn't like the other hypocrites in the village. She won't tell him that revenge is evil because you are killing a person. She would only want to judge for herself if the target deserves to die or not.

Sasuke: Remember how I told you that I wish to kill my brother?

Akame nodded again. Sasuke took a deep breath. He still shuddered whenever he thought about it that night...

Sasuke: I wish to kill him. He is a S rank criminal of the village. He slaughtered the entire Uchiha clan overnight. I was the sole survivor. I wish to have my revenge on him. For killing my parents...my cousins...my relatives...and the kind brother I knew. The Itachi right now...he is just a monster with my brother's appearance.

Akame: I see. In that case, I shall help you.

Sasuke: But...how come I have never heard of your fighting techniques before? And...who are you really?

Akame: I really am Akame. I am a year older than the three of you. I come from a place where they use imperial arms as weapons. Currently I am using two weapons: Murasame and Freezing blade. The place where I come from...the king was a small kid who was manipulated by his minister. All the royal family members and nobles were rotten. Initially I was a part of an assassin group called 'night raid'. We used to take up assassination requests from the poor and harassed. Later we joined the revolutionary army and overthrew the king and killed the wicked minister. I...

Sasuke was listening intently but Akame didn't speak anymore. There were no tears but instead he saw a face full of deep regret.

Sasuke patted her slightly. Akame gave him a slight smile.

Akame: I...I couldn't protect what was precious to me. After we overthrew the king, there was no need for an assassin. I no longer had a purpose to serve. All that is left after revenge is a bitter aftertaste.

Sasuke: Perhaps it was destiny that you came here then... Now you can take up my request.

Akame sighed as she remembered the letter.

Akame: That's fine. I shall help you.

"Akame-san, you have been summoned to the office."

Akame: I see. See you later, Sasuke-san.

Sasuke: How come you are called to the office so frequently?

Akame: According to my contract, I am not allowed to divulge the secrets of my work...but I can tell you that I am not a permanent member of Konohagakure. I am here on a contractual basis...

With that Akame walked away towards the Hokage's office. She would no longer see a kind, old man behind the desk. She would meet a one-eyed man who had the reputation for being the strictest person in the entirety of Konoha...