Chapter 47 : The decision of a lifetime

Akame P.O.V

Akame: Obito! We need to hurry!

Obito was following me but he had a quizzical look on his face. He leapt through the trees while I ran on the ground. My mind was unable to process anything except - I need to reach to Sasuke before it's too late. 

Obito: Hurry? WHy would you want to hurry?

Akame: What do you mean? I am Sasuke's contracted assassin! Sasuke needs to know-

Obito: Hm? Last time I heard, you task was to 'help' him in his revenge...not baby sit him.

Akame: Of course it comes within the frame of my work! Sasuke never said he wanted my help in 'killing Itachi'. He said he wanted 'help in attaining' his revenge. What if his revenge is misplaced?

Obito: Sasuke saw his brother kill his entire clan. The next time they met, Itachi once again, nearly killed him. Surely that's enough to warrant his-

I stopped for a moment and Obito came down to check if there was something wrong with me. I balled my hands into fists as I tried to control my anger.

Obito: Akame what-

A crash resounded in the air. On the ground lay Obito. The corner of his lip was bleeding and his cheek was swelling. My attack had not only broken his mask but hit him as well. His eyes didn't show anger or hurt. It showed pure surprise.

Akame: Do you really mean what you said? I thought...someone like you might have been able to understand but it seems you are kid that needs the 'reward-punishment' method to understand complicated stuff. Just now was 'punishment' for not considering my feelings.

I took out my handkerchief and wiped his blood away. His cheeks turned furiously red but I ignored it and kissed his swollen cheek.

Akame: This is 'reward' for worrying about me.

Obito was about to smile when kicked him into the air. He broke a few branches and landed on the ground. He had a completely bewildered expression on his face. 

Akame: That was 'punishment' for forgetting about what would happen if Sasuke took a wrong decision. He would end up more broken and...death is the end because it is irreversible. That is why...no matter what, decisions about death and killing shouldn't be taken so easily.   

I applied medicine on the scratches on his face and kissed his forehead this time. Tears began to spill from the corner of his eyes. I sighed and pulled him into a hug.

Akame: Can you understand what this 'reward' is for?

Obito: N-No...

Akame: You could have simply locked me away in your alternate dimension instead of taking in my attacks and lectures. It shows that not only Tobi...even Obito is a good boy. So..shall we get going then?

Obito nodded quietly and we began to go towards Itachi's hideout. After a while, he finally voiced what he had been thinking about for a while.

Obito: Akame...truth is, the contract is not the only reason you are helping Sasuke right?

Akame: Well...that is true. For me, this contract is something that I wish to end on a peaceful note. Then I would get a feeling that I did something to atone for what happened to Tatsumi besides...even if I don't understand Sasuke's point of view, I...somehow understand his brother's..or so I think...

Obito: How so?

Akame: To prevent exposing my sister to the risk of execution, I ran away from the imperial army without taking her with me. I placed my sense of justice on a higher pedestal than my sister but...the truth was...I couldn't bring myself to do more that defeat her...even when Kurome came at me with every intention to kill her 'traitorous' sister, I couldn't return those feelings. You see... we elder siblings are idiots...we wish to make our younger siblings strong and yet are so protective that we don't wish to expose them to dangers.

Obito: And you think Itachi is the same? Even though he was so ruthless?

Akame: Maybe he is. Maybe he is not but...judging by what Madara said and Itachi's behavior...his trust in his brother's capabilities...I...wonder whether Sasuke really knows everything there is to know. I...just want to make sure that he knows all there is a need to know.

Obito: Sigh...fine...I'll leave it at that.

.

.

.

"Ne...Sasuke, do you really think it's truly over?"

I looked on in shock. Itachi-san lay on the floor while Sasuke was slumped against a huge rock. There was a bloodstain on Sasuke's forehead and Itachi was bleeding from his eyes and his mouth. It was a pitiable sight. They both have the same blood flowing in them and yet...

Sasuke's eyes no longer had that crazed look. It was empty. Just as I thought...his hatred brought him along this far but now that his hatred was quenched, the good memories he had had washed over him. He was regretting it...not the fact that he killed his brother...but rather the fact that he had to kill his brother.

He wasn't an avenger. He was simply a boy who wasn't able to move on. 

Obito: Akame-chan, your old comrades from Konoha are coming here. I'll distract them. By that time...

I nodded and watched as he disappeared into thin air.

I looked down at Itachi. I see...at his last breath eh? I wish to help you Itachi...not because of Sasuke...I want to know the truth. How did it  feel to fight against your sibling. Did you really hate him or...are you just like me?

Sasuke had collapsed too. It was a strange scene the brothers were finally together...in a strange sense. Their bodies, though unconscious, were together. It was hard to think that they had fought themselves to the end.

Obito: Akame-chan, they are coming here. 

For some reason Obito's chakra felt colder than usual. I decided to ignore it for now.

Zetsu: Let's take their bodies to the east hideout for now. This rain isn't pleasant for the living or for the dead. 

Akame: I see...then I'll bring...Itachi-san's body. Obito can carry Sasuke's body.

Zetsu: So? How does it feel to be late? How does it feel to see the world slip from between your fingers?

Akame: Hm? I have no idea what you are talking about. If the world is slipping out of my grip, all I have to do is hold on tighter or take it somewhere safer.

Obito: Akame? Why are you...smiling?

Akame: Nothing...it's like I found a part of me that I thought was long dead...nothing else...

It made sense...

It finally made sense!

I...wasn't solely motivated by my past and Sasuke's contract. They were, no doubt, contributing factors but the truth was...I was doing this for myself. 

I was selfish irrespective of where I was.

It didn't matter if I was right or wrong as long as I could protect the ones I want.

It was also clear who I wanted to protect...all of those whom I met till now. Naruto, Sasuke,Sakura,Gaara, Kakashi-sensei, Obito,Itachi...and a lot more. Of course Madara and Kabuto  weren't on my list yet...but I guessed that I had people I wanted to protect on both sides.

I finally had the answer to Uchiha Madara's question. I knew where my loyalties lie. 

Which means...I didn't have to look for a perfect situation. Najenda-san wasn't beside me to chalk out complex plans...

So instead...I'll just have to do all that I can!

I was Metsujin Akame of the revolutionary army...all I have to do is start a revolution here!