Chapter 21 : The brothers meet

An uneventful week had passed. Team seven went on several D rank and C rank missions but Akame didn't accompany them.

She looked more tired as each day passed and Kakashi looked at her with pity evident in his eyes. The trio watched on in silence. Even when they were busy with the mission, Kakashi-sensei was so lost in thought that even Sakura was more helpful than him!

At least Sakura was excellent in setting up traps and counter-traps while Kakashi-sensei had his head in the clouds.

Shikamaru, Neji, Lee and Shino were promoted to chuunin. Shikamaru received training from his father in strategizing. Neji and Lee were a part of the search groups that watched over the entire village for intruders and suspicious elements. Neji even had his own squad of chuunins under his direct supervision.

And Akame? She was summoned ever so frequently for missions. This was suspicious since she was still considered genin level but they won't call her specifically just for D rank...

Akame P.O.V

It had been a whole week since my talk with Sasuke-san.

My lifestyle had changed completely after Hiruzen-sama's death. I made sure to check up on ANBU captains Mugetsu Ryouma and Kizashi Daichi.

I was placed under the charge of a jonin called Muira Kokufu. She was extremely scary and extremely intimidating.

I was sent on many solo assassination missions. Kokufu kept a lookout on me using a tracing jutsu. Basically if I go against her, my heart explodes.

I rarely used Murasame at all. A few Ice shards from the shadows is enough. Even if that didn't work, my footwork was pretty good and I could use my speed as an advantage. Years of life as an assassin made things easy for me.

The more missions I finished, the more missions I was given. I still received the amount that one receives for D rank missions stating that I was an outsider.

"Akame! We missed you, believe it!"

I turned around to find Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke running in my direction. Oh how I missed them. Just their presence was enough to brighten the day.

Naruto was going to train with the legendary sannin Jiraiya. So we decided to spend some time off. It was a good thing that I didn't have missions today.

* * * * *

We heard from Kakashi-sensei that Naruto was making good progress with his training.

We were about to meet Kakashi-sensei for a small trip to the dango stall but he seemed to be busy teasing Asuma-sensei and Kurenai-sensei.

To our surprise Kakashi-sensei, Kurenai-sensei and Asuma-sensei disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Just moments ago, there was a man with a bell attached to his hat...or were there two?

Sasuke shrugged and walked away. Sakura followed him happily. There was nobody left here so I decided to go with them too.

Call it an assassin's sense of over precaution but I had a feeling that things were beginning to go wrong.

* * * * *

"Team seven has been requested to visit the hospital, room no 42."

The hospital?

The trio ran at full speed. Why? Why was all this happening? Was there no peace in this world? Was I going to see all the people close to me...die?

"Sensei!"

Sakura screamed and we clasped our hands on her mouth. Kakashi-sensei's face looked extremely pale. He was taking a rest so Sakura and Sasuke went out but I knew that he was feigning sleep.

Basic assassination tactic : find out if your target is really asleep.

Akame: Sensei, what happened?

He sat down tiredly on the bed post. He had deep lines under his eyes.

Kakashi: Now is not the time for it...you need to make sure that Naruto is safe. They are going for him. Don't take Sasuke along. Not even Sakura. I don't really want to give you such a mission, given that you have been handling assassination missions this past week...but you are the only one I can count on right now since Tenzo is busy.

Akame: Requesting an assassination mission?

He shook his head.

Kakashi: No. The one you are against is an S rank rogue ninja, formerly of Konoha village. Uchiha Itachi. I request you to go and inform Jiraiya-sama that there are going to be kidnapping attempts on Naruto.

Akame: I understand. Please rest for now.

Kakashi-sensei gave a smile and went back to sleep.

Akame: So did you hear everything, Sasuke-san?

He nodded. Kakashi-sensei must be in a really weakened state if he couldn't sense Sasuke's presence. I remember seeing him flinch slightly when I entered the room. In his weakened state, the killing intent of Murasame must be scary to him.

Sasuke: You do realize that I am coming whether you want it or not.

I merely nodded. There was no stopping Sasuke. His teacher was injured. His best friend( even if he doesn't admit it) might be kidnapped. His elder brother who had massacred the entire Uchiha clan was there. There was no way that Sasuke was going to sit this one out.

The only thing that I can do is see to it that he doesn't get hurt.

Sakura offered to stay behind and keep an eye on sensei.

* * * * *
General P.O.V

"Sasuke-san, the town is just ahead. Please go to warn Naruto. I'll be there in a while..."

Sasuke nodded and walked away. Akame took a deep breath. This presence felt vaguely familiar. There were times where she could sense them even when Kakashi-sensei was around. At those times the presence seemed to give off a strange killing intent. Right now she could feel the same presence sans (without) the killing intent.

"Tobi is a good boy, so Tobi came to help Akame-chan. Akame-chan is a good girl so Akame-chan will help Tobi in return!"

Akame turned around and met the presence. Now she knew why the presence felt so familiar... Tobi was the one who had helped her on the day of the Konoha invasion. She felt that it was better to listen what he had come to say. The fact that he was here meant that either his base was nearby...or he came purposefully to talk to her. She was sure that Sasuke could handle the task and surely the legendary sannin could handle S rank criminals.

Akame: That is perfectly fine with me, Tobi-san.

* * * * *

Sasuke was panting. He had been running at a really fast pace for a long time. He had a feeling that something bad was going to happen really soon...

Sasuke: Naruto! Step back!

Naruto: Why? I can defeat them, believe it!

Masked man: hey that kid looks really familiar to you.

Naruto watched in shock as Sasuke glared at the two masked men but he was still shaking. One of them had a cloak that covered up to his month. He had scarlet eyes and raven black hair. The other one seemed to be a mutant with shark skin...

"Itachi, I'll kill you!"