Chapter 44 : The beginning of the end

Akame P.O.V

"Nice to meet you. I am Metsujin Akame."

I said nothing else and sat down. The members of the Akatsuki eyed me silently but then I went ahead and sat down besides Tobi.

Kisame: Eh...the cool and stoic Akame-chan with the goofy and childish Tobi-kun...must say that it's an amusing combination...

"Is that so? I wouldn't say it that way if I were you."

Pain and Konan looked serious. Well...it's because I joined the organization at a bad time. They had lost four members(Hidan, Kakuzu, Deidara and Sasori) quite recently. It was obvious that Pain wasn't very pleased with this short fall of manpower.

Obito: Well if the discussions are over then... I'd like to show Akame-chan her room because...Tobi is a good boy!

I don't see any connection between being a 'good boy' and showing me my room but Pain simply sighed and agreed.

Konan: Wait...are we going to follow the usual arrangements? Shouldn't we-

Pain: Don't bother. 'He' has made up his mind about it after all.

Konan: I-I see...

What do they mean? Obito was still acting out his 'Tobi' persona. He took me a room where there were two beds and...pretty much nothing else. Wait...the two beds were on opposite sides of the room but...why were there 'two' beds in my room?

Obito: Sigh...don't mind the arrangements. Your safety cannot be guaranteed even withing the walls of the hideout. In the Akatsuki, partners get allotted into the same room since the only female member we had was Konan and she loves Pain anyway. Sorry for the inconvenience but we'll have to share the room.

Akame: I-I see...it's fine. I don't mind it.

So I said...but my heart wouldn't stop thumping. I quietly picked up my things and pushed them under my bed and sat down on my bed. I could hardly focus...

Obito: ....ame...akam...Akame.....AKAME!

Akame: H-Huh?

Obito: Are you all right?

Akame: Y-Yeah...I'll get used to it in a while...

My heart was beating so fast that I could hardly hear what Obito was saying...I took a deep breath and composed myself. Obito sighed, sat beside me and patted my head slightly. I wondered why he was so touchy-feely with me.

Obito: Remember what happened when we fought during the Sasuke vs Deidara battle?

I nodded. when Deidara and Sasuke were fighting, Obito had taken me to his dimension where we meet Madara. I had asked Madara to let Obito go but then...Obito himself had no intentions of leaving. Madara suggested that if I won against Obito then I could 'make him mine'. We fought and...it ended in a draw. Because of that, I wasn't bound to Madara but I couldn't free Obito from him either...

Akame: About being a 'member with free will' or joining the Akatsuki?

Obito: N-No...not that...the wager you gave me.

The wager I gave him? O-Oh! What was I thinking when I made such a wager? I wasn't even drunk so why? Unless...it was me unleashing my subconscious desires...I thought back to my wager.

'Let's have a match and if I win...let's go out.'

Akame: B-But I didn't win so...

Obito: No. It was clearly your win. You were hiding your full strength from Madara weren't you? Well...even I was asked to exercise caution but...