Here For You

Lauren's POV

Jaiden's look remained unsure. He gave me a small smile but I could tell that it wasn't his real smile. He started walking towards his parents and I followed closely behind. He approached his mom first, who was alone in the kitchen grabbing a bottle of wine. She looked up at Jaiden and smiled then looked confused when she saw me close behind, stepping up next to him. I smiled at her trying to look as friendly as I could. I put my hand out to introduce myself.

Lauren- "Hi I'm Lauren." I said politely as she reached for my hand, still looking confused.
Lynda- "Hi. I'm Lynda." She said and I could tell that she was forcing a smile on her face.
Lynda- "Jaiden I didn't know you were having company over." She said looking up at him.
Jaiden- "Yeah. I thought it would be nice if she joined us."

Then Jaiden's dad walked in and immediately looking at Jai.

Joe- "Hey I was wondering when you were going to come downstairs. We have guests over." He said in an irritated voice. He then noticed me and smiled.
Joe- "Hi I'm Joe." He said much friendlier than Jai's mom.
Lauren- "Hi I'm Lauren." I said smiling and extending my hand as I introduced myself.
Joe- "Well do you guys want to come out and join us? We'll get another place setting for you Lauren."
Lauren- "Yeah thank you so much."

We walked out to the dinning room and I sat next to Jaiden. We started to eat and his parents continued to talk business with the guests who were over. Once they had finished talking about some deal one of the guests, who's name was John started talking to me and Jaiden.

John- "So Jaiden I hear that you are doing well in football. I heard you were approached by a few different schools and there was talk about scholarships?"
Jaiden- "Yeah I've talked to a few coaches but there is nothing final. Nothing on paper at least."
John- "You're going to show your older brother how it's done?" He said in a joking, friendly tone. Then Jaiden's dad interrupted the conversation.
Joe- "No Scott is going off at med school. He knows where his priorities lie." He said it in a weirdly condescending tone. All night Jaiden's parents were talking about how great his brother Scott is. I could tell that Jaiden was starting to feel embarrassed and frustrated when the guests laughed at his dad's comment. I've never heard parents talk so poorly about one of their kids, especially right in front of them. I could see it was upsetting him.

Jaiden's right arm was resting on the table but his left arm (that was closest to me) was down with his hand placed on his lap, underneath the table.
I could see his face turning slightly red as his parents continued to talk about Scott and how Jaiden should be following in his footsteps. It's like they were mocking him by saying how great his brother was and how he wasn't anything like him.
Jai's knuckled were turning white and his hand that was under the table was clenched into a fist. Instinctually, I grabbed his hand, holding it to calm him down. I could see him relax and he seemed to not look so tense. Then I felt his fingers intertwine with mine but his eyes remained straight ahead as if he was embarrassed to look at anyone around him.

Jaiden- "Well that was a great dinner but unfortunately Lauren and I have to go to the library to get some studying done. But it was great to see you guys." Jaiden stood up from the table, letting go of my hand as he spoke. He got out and looked at me to go along with what he just said.
Lauren- "Thank you guys so much for having me over. It was so nice to meet you all." I said smiling at the four people we were leaving.

We walked out of the dinning room and Jaiden turned towards me as soon as no one could see or hear us and began to speak.

Jaiden- "Follow me so you don't get stuck with them for any longer." He smiled gently in my direction.

We walked upstairs to his room as he grabbed his keys and wallet off of his desk. He then started to walk out of the door and grabbed his backpack off of his floor.

Jaiden- "Ready?"
Lauren- "Are we really going to study?"
Jaiden- "No way. I just wanted to get of here." He said laughing. "Let's go."

We went outside and got in his car. He backed out of his driveway and we started to drive down his street.

Lauren- "Why do you let them talk about you like that?"
Jaiden- "I'm used to it. Scott has always been the golden boy. He's the perfect one in our family."

I hated that he felt like that. Those words that came from his mouth were so simple but so unbearably powerful. He pulled into this pie bakery parking lot that was just around the corner of his neighborhood and we sat in the car for a minute. Silence lingered for a few moments before I spoke up.

Lauren- "It may not matter at all to you... it might not make any difference, but I think that you're amazing. And if your family doesn't see that, just know that I do."
Jaiden- "Thank you. Not just for saying that but just for being there. And calming me down when I needed it. I know that you were probably super uncomfortable but I'm really glad that you were there."
Lauren- "I'm glad that I was too." I smiled at him as his eyes connected with mine.
Jaiden- "I told you that you can't do that." He said in a flirtatious tone as he opened his car door to get out.
Lauren- "I'm not doing anything." I said still smirking.
Jaiden- "You know how to get me when you smile like that. Don't play so innocent." He said smirking and biting his bottom lip as we walked on the sidewalk and into the bakery.

We went inside and sat down after we  ordered pie. We were sitting there talking about everything other than what just happened at dinner. We talked about what we want to do in the future and our goals and dreams. The things that we love and hate.  He told me different funny stories about things that have happened to him. We sat there laughing at each others ridiculous stories and he locked his eyes with mine. He stayed smiling at me but was no longer laughing.

Jaiden- "I'm always here for you. It's not just one way. I'm here whenever you need me. No matter what okay?"

I smiled at him knowing that I want him so badly. And hearing him say that just now made me happier than it should have. This could be a terrible choice to want him. But I do.