Adjustment

Lauren's POV

We just got done with a show and are headed back to our hotel. When we got back to the hotel we were staying at I walked in and immediately plopped on my bed, exhausted with the overwhelming schedule we had. We have been doing back to back shows across the U.S for a month, with hardly any break. The one good thing is that we are going back to Nashville tomorrow. I'm ready to go back home because the traveling has been super hard this tour.

I looked at my phone and saw a missed call along with a voicemail. I clicked on the voicemail and put the phone up to my ear so I could listen.

Jaiden- "Hey... I thought maybe you would be off stage but I guess you must be busy right now... Leaving is harder than I thought. I uhm [pause] I really wish I could see you right now. I guess I'll talk to you when you get off stage. [he paused and spoke softly] I just really need to hear your voice right now. I love you princess. And I miss you like crazy. I hope everything is going great babe. "

I heard I click at the end. He sounded sad on the other end of the phone. I couldn't tell for sure but it definitely seemed like it. I set my phone down because I wasn't sure if I wanted to talk to him yet. I'm so tired that I didn't know if I could even be fully there through the whole call.

Since Jaiden's schedule has been as crazy as mine it's been nearly impossible to talk with him. It's not like we haven't talked at all because we have texted and face timed, but not nearly as often as we would like.

But luckily I wasn't completely alone. This guy Noah (who I've been casual friends with from around the time Jaiden and I started dating) has been talking to me a lot and helping me through Jaiden leaving.

It was kind of nice having someone to support me other than my family. Noah is super sweet too which helps because I just need someone who is there for me since Jaiden can't be right now.

It's not Jaiden's fault and I'm definitely not blaming him. This is his dream to be off playing football and trying to further his education so that he could get the job he wants. I'm so happy for him. But our relationship is going through an adjustment phase. And adjustment is never easy. It makes things more difficult, and harder to push through.

Right now, Noah just knows all the right things too say to make me feel better. When I'm sad and I'm missing Jai, Noah has the ability to make me feel better in a matter of minutes. When I'm feeling lonely Noah always seems to be there, even when I wish that it was Jaiden who was here.

But I know that even if Jaiden took the scholarship in Tennessee to be closer to home that he would only be cheating himself. He's being given a way better opportunity in Texas. So I understand why he isn't here, I just wish he could be.

I've talked to Noah about that before. One night when I was missing Jaiden a lot I got to a point where I was almost mad at him for taking the scholarship in Texas when he could have been closer. But I knew when the whole time that what I was saying was ridiculous but Noah just agreed with me and let me vent, which made me feel better.

I grabbed my phone again and picked it up. I miss Jai and I need to talk to him. I know that Texas has been an even harder adjustment for him and I want to help him through it.

I dialed his number and waited for him to answer. Then I heard his sweet voice on the other end of the line.

Jaiden- "Hey princess. I was wondering when your show would be finished." He said in a sweet tone. I could tell he was smiling without even seeing him.
Lauren- "Now we are finally getting the chance to talk! I miss you. How is everything?"
Jaiden- "Uhm it's different. It's definitely not home but I'm trying to get used to it. What about the tour? How was the last show?"
Lauren- "It was good. I'm just ready to be home. The only thing that would make it better is if you were back in Nashville too."
Jaiden- "Trust me, I would love that more than anything."
Lauren- "How is the roommate situation going? Is he still a jerk as usual?"
Jaiden- "He's definitely not my favorite person ever but I don't know. He seems to think we might have some stuff in common so you never know I guess."
Lauren- "Yeah cause you are such a party animal, you must have a lot in common with him!" I said sarcastically while laughing. "But at least maybe you might get along better if you do have something in common other than football."
Jaiden- "Yeah maybe... I really miss you. It's just now creeping up on the first month of being here. It feels like way longer that we haven't seen each other."
Lauren- "But we will see each other soon. Remember. You told me that we have to just look at this as a short period of time. It's just a little while. I'm going too see you soon." I felt a sad smile on my face because I knew that we had so much longer to go.
Jaiden- "Yeah.. Just a little bit longer. I better go get some sleep. We have conditioning early tomorrow morning."
Lauren- "Okay. I love you. I'll talk to you soon."
Jaiden- "Goodnight. Text me when you get home tomorrow so I know you made it back safe. Love you princess."

I smiled as I hung up the phone. Every time I hang up it gets harder. This is way more difficult then I ever thought it would be.

My phone buzzed and I looked down at my phone and saw a text.

N- You know when you finally get back to Nashville we can actually hang out. I'm getting bored over here while you are off doing exciting things without me😏

I laughed at his message then replied. He's kind of a flirt naturally so I don't take him to serious. It's not like he is trying to make anything out of this. It's just the way he talks to me.

Jaiden's POV

After I hung up the phone with Lauren I went and to lay on my bed. By my bed I only have one picture. The same picture I gave Lauren of the two of us before I left. I grabbed it and looked at it while I was still lying on my bed. I sighed as I looked at it. I'm feeling alone. I have friends here but I miss her because she made me feel known and seen when other people couldn't.

I heard from Dawson that she's been talking to some guy Noah a lot. I haven't said anything because I don't want to look like the jealous boyfriend, even though I am. I put the picture back and ran my hands through my hair.

I know who Noah is. And I trust Lauren, but I can't help but worry anyways. Because I don't know Noah well enough to know what his intentions may be.

The worst thing about falling for someone the way I fell for her, is the fact that she could lose complete interest at any moment. And I wouldn't be able to do anything about it from so far away.

A/N
Let me know what you guys think in the comments below! I love hearing what you guys have to say!(: