Broken Smile

At this point Jaiden and Lauren have been dating for a few months. Just wanted to clarify because there have been several time jumps and I didn't want it to be too confusing.

After Dinner

Jaiden's POV

The whole dinner went a lot better than I expected. My mom usually isn't that nice unless she has some alternative motive. Lauren helped my mom clean up and I went to take the trash out. When I came back in I noticed a different look on Lauren's face.

I could see that she didn't look as happy. She smiled at me but Lauren was one of those people that would force a smile if she thought she was protecting you, or if she thought she needed to be strong for you. I could see that's the type of smile it was. I couldn't differentiate protection versus trying to be strong, all I could tell was that it was a broken smile.

We had hung out for a while and I didn't say anything. My mom brought her clean clothes back down to her and she got ready to leave. She was still wearing my read sweatshirt and sweats when she was going to leave. She held her stuff in her hands and grabbed her bag as she started walking out the front door. I followed closely behind her, out to her car.

She turned towards me with that same broken smile and pecked my lips.

Lauren- "I'll see you Friday right?"
Jaiden- "Yeah... Friday." I gave her a small smile back. I don't know how to ask her casually what was wrong. I wasn't good at casual or trying to ease into a conversation. I've always just been direct. And that didn't change tonight.
She turned away from me and opened her car door. As she started to close her door I stopped it, grabbing the top of the door with my hand.
She looked at me confused.

Jaiden- "Laur... What's wrong?"
Lauren- "Nothing. I'm fine." She gave me a small smile.
Jaiden- "I know when you're lying to me. Come on babe. Talk to me. What's wrong?"
Lauren- "What makes you think that something is wrong?" We locked eyes and then she looked down trying to hide her face.
Jaiden- "Because I know you. And I know that you aren't fine."
She paused for a second before she answered.
Lauren- "Jai... What's going to happen between us when you leave?"
Jaiden- "There is nothing finalized yet. And at this point it doesn't even seem like I will. There's a very small chance that I'm going to leave."
Lauren- "Jaiden you and I both know that you are going to get the scholarship. And when you do I will be so happy for you. I will always support you. But I'm scared that when you leave, things between us will change."

Lauren's POV

I looked down, kind of embarrassed at how selfish I probably sounded. I felt Jaiden's hand gently lift my head to look back up at him.

Jaiden- "If I leave, and I'm saying if because you and I both don't know if that's going to happen yet. But if I leave, I can tell you now that things are going to change. Distance is going to cause a change between us. Right now, we see each other almost every day, and we can spend time together whenever we want. And if I leave we won't be able to do that anymore.
But what distance can't do is change how much I care about you."
I looked back down at the floor and he lifted my head once more. He spoke gently.
Jaiden- "Look at me... I love you. Please stop worrying about what could be and live in the right now. Because whether there is distance between us or not, the fact that I love you won't change."
I looked up at him and smiled at what he just said. It's the first time he has said he loved me. I looked into his hazel brown eyes and crashed my lips into his, kissing him slowly and passionately.
Lauren- "I love you." I whispered when I pulled away.
He pressed his lips against mine once more. I put my hand behind his neck and tangled my fingers in the back of his hair. When he pulled away he spoke softly.

Jaiden- "We're going to be okay. Just remember, it's only a small chance. There's no garuntee that I'm even going to be leaving the city, let alone to a completely different state."

It's just a small chance. I know that it's terrible I'm saying it's a small chance because he wants to go off to college on a scholarship, but I know that means him leaving.

And even though that thought scares me and makes me upset, those words keep ringing in my head. I love you.

Even though he might leave, I guess I will have to just hope that things don't change between us.

A/N
Let me know what you guys think in the comments below! What will happen with Jaiden and Lauren as time goes on?