Communicating

1 week later

Jaiden's POV

I just got back from work. I had a really early shift. I had to get to work at 4 this morning to start cleaning and prepping everything for the day. My shift went until 10 in the morning so it wasn't to long of a shift but I was still exhausted.

When I got back home I went and hopped on the couch. I was so tired I just wanted to lay down and relax for a while. I could feel my eyes getting heavier as I was about to fall asleep.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up when I heard a knock at the door. I went to answer the front door to see the last person I expected.

Jaiden- "What are you doing here?" I said annoyed by just the sight of her.
Lexi- "I just wanted to come talk."
Jaiden- "You shouldn't have come here."
Lexi- "Jai please. Just give me 10 minutes. I know we didn't leave off on the best terms the last time we talked. But please, just a few minutes."
Jaiden- "I don't think that is such a good idea."
Lexi- "Okay. How about you just keep the door open and listen to me for a few minutes. And if you hate listening to me for any longer than that, you can slam the door in my face and I won't come back."
Jaiden- "Fine. Talk."
I know I sounded rude and probably a little demeaning but I couldn't help it. I had so much resentment for her. Our entire relationship revolved around boosting herself up and tearing me down.
Lexi- "I was wrong. About everything. I shouldn't have treated you the way that I did. And I'm so, so sorry. I know that I didn't make things easier for you. I know your family situation is not the most ideal thing and I was in your life at a rough point. I should have been there for you but I wasn't and I'm sorry."
She moved a little closer to me and I stepped back turning my head away from her. I didn't want to give her any false ideas. She looked down at her feet and then back up at me.

Lexi- "She's not going to be with you forever Jai. You and I both know that you are going to get the scholarship. You aren't going to be around."
Jaiden- "What are you trying to say?! That I should leave Lauren for you? Because that isn't going to happen!"
Lexi- "Look I didn't even want to come talk to you about this! I wanted to talk to you about us but now her! Your mom wanted me to come here!"

I looked at her with my eyes growing wider.

Jaiden- "I don't believe you. My mom wouldn't tell you to come talk to me about something like this."
Lexi- "I don't care if you believe me or not. But now I'm glad I did come talk to you because clearly you aren't thinking straight!"
Jaiden- "What do you think telling me this is going to do? Make me run back to you?"
Lexi- "Jai.." She said reaching for my hand. I pulled it away quickly.
Jaiden- "No don't touch me!"
Lexi- "What happened to you? You changed! And not in a good way. You and me had everything when we were together! I thought you wanted me? We had things figured out! Why did you quit on us?!"
Jaiden- "I quit trying with you because you are self centered and self absorbed! Why would I want to be with you?"
Lexi- "What do you mean why would you want to be with me? We could have had it all!"
Jaiden- "You don't understand. If I'm going to be with someone, I'm going to be with someone that I could actually picture lasting." I stood at my front door, frustrated that I even let her start talking.
Jaiden- "You know what.. I'm done with this. Just leave me alone. Don't come back, don't try to talk to me."

I closed the door and left her standing outside. What sucked about closing the door is realizing that the problems didn't end there. Leaving Lexi standing on the other side of the door didn't solve anything. She said my mom told her to come.

Just when I thought that my mom was coming around to accepting Lauren she calls Lexi? I remembered Lauren walking out of the kitchen the other day with that broken smile on her face. I saw her right after she was done talking to my mom. It all made sense now. It finally clicked that my mom was the one that put these ideas of me and Lauren breaking up in Lauren's head. Nothing was wrong until Lauren talked to her.

I walked down the hall to my moms room. I could feel the frustration building inside of me as I continued to think about it. I walked into her room and she looked up at me with a smile.

Jaiden- "What did you say to her?!"
Her smile quickly faded.
Lynda- "What are you talking about?"
Jaiden- "Don't play dumb with me! What did you say to Lauren?"
Lynda- "What did she tell you?" She said calmly but in a cunning tone.
Jaiden- "She didn't tell me anything! But now Lexi is showing up at our front door and I know that you put all of these ridiculous break up ideas in Lauren's head! So tell me! What did you say?"
Now I wasn't the only one raising my voice. She looked at me with her face turning slightly red. She started off calm and then it escalated into anger as she continued.
Lynda- "All I simply said was that distance isn't good for a relationship. And if you listened to me, I could have just told you that instead of Lauren. But rather than listening to me, you bring her in our house while both of you are covered in mud, proving my point that she does not belong with you! You are supposed to be put together and well mannered and now you are dating a girl who is the exact opposite of who you should be with!"
Jaiden- "You can't tell me who I'm supposed to be! I'm my own person! She didn't change who I was, she just accepted me for exactly the person I am! Something that you still can't do!"

I could feel myself starting to boil over. I didn't want to be so angry that I couldn't control it.

Jaiden- "I need to get out of here... Just know that every single day that you don't accept me or love me for who I am, your losing me. I hate that this is what our family is like... And I will never be the parent that you are. When I leave for college don't expect me to come back."

I started walking back to my room so I could grab my car keys. My mom walked out of her room and stood by her doorway.

Lynda- "Jaiden! We are not done talking about this!"
I turned around and I could feel the annoyed expression creeping on my face.
Jaiden- "Talking? We don't talk! We don't communicate at all!Communicating is when both people have the opportunity to talk and then the ability to sit back and listen with an open mind! All I've done for the past 18 years is listen to you freaking talk! I'm tired of listening when you won't hear me out! So no, we are done with 'talking' as you would like to call it!"

I walked out front door and got in my car and started driving down my street. I didn't even know where I was going, I just wanted to get out of there.

This is exactly why I need to go off to college. My family is the sole reason that I want to leave. Lauren is the only reason I would stay. But right now even Lauren can't drain out the thought of how badly I want to leave.

A/N
Let me know why you guys think in the comments below!(: