Chapter 4- Delays And Surprises

Tamila's Point Of View:

*RIIIIING*

I groaned as my limp body rolled accross the bed to slam the alarm clock so it would shut up. I lay back in bed, trying my best to register that it was 11:00 and I was already late for work. I foced myself out of bed, and into a hot shower, putting on a blouse, dress pants, and heels before curling my hair and bolting out my apartment door within a 45 minute period, which was a record in my book.

As I started my car and pulled out of the apartment complex I noticed a line of cars running but stopped leading out to the main highway, also known as my only way to get to work.

I turned the corner on the highway, and that's when I saw the ordeal unfold before my very eyes. Traffic was backed up worse than when I left my office yesterday, I could smell the exaust and hear the honks and roars of the engines, a cloud of smog floating in the California Sky.

Is this legit? As I decided to make a U-Turn to go back to my apartment complex, a chevy pickup pulled behind me, making my escape now impossible.

The sounds of honks around me were prominent as cars were stretched as far down as the eye can see.

"Fuck." I muttered under my breath before my phone suddenly vibrated, indicating a phone call. I took my phone out of my pocket and looked at the caller I.D.

Jaime Gonzales.

I blushed prufuesly as I saw his contact picture smiling at me.

Hold on a second... why did I have a picture of him on my phone?

I decided to aviod that last question before touching my finger to the screen. "Jaime?" I questioned. "What's up?"

"What's up?" Jaime asked sternly over the line. "Where the hell are you, Tamila? You're scheduled for a meeting with some represenatatives from Mary Kay cosmetics in 15 minutes, there's reporters from Forbes magazine who want to schedule an interview personally with you, and some guy named Chester came to me personally claiming that he wants to see you!"

Once Jaime finished speaking, at that moment thoughts were flying all over my head.One, I really couldn't afford to miss the meeting with the Mary Kay represenatatives. Two, Forbes Magazine? Am I that wealthy already? Guess I haven't noticed. And three, Chester? I knew a few of those. But which one now?

"I'm sitting on the highway. Traffic's backed up. But Chester who?" I asked Jaime, who hadn't spoken up.

"Didn't identify. Just claims you know him on a personal note. I'm going to the meeting with the Mary Kay people on your behalf, I'll take notes and ask the questions and use the statements you prepared for yourself earlier in the week. Follow up with me later."

And with that, the call ended. I was merely relieved that Jaime was on top of things, that was why I admired his work ethic. However, that isn't going to get me out of this traffic.

****

I had now been sitting on the highway for an hour, and I was about a quarter of the way to work. I had only recieved one text message from Jaime, which read "At the mtg k?" which I didn't bother replying to. The radio was on in the car and I sat there aimlessly until my phone vibrated again, but this time, the number was blocked, I answered it reluctantly, just glad I could to talk to someone, or something, even if it was an operator.

"Tammy Dastanos?" The voice was of a male and it was vaugely familiar. "Yeah...Who's this?" I asked the voice.

"Hi, good to hear from you again. It's Chester Dembling, Chase's younger brother. You remember me, don't you?"

With shock I dropped my phone in my lap, and I hadn't noticed traffic had picked up, until the various honks behind me snapped me back to reality.  I quickly put one hand on my phone and one hand on the wheel as I drove.

"Um, hello? Tammy?" I heard the muffled sound of my hand over the speaker of my phone.

"Sorry, I'm driving, hi, Chester. I remember you, of course." I spoke slowly but my heart was racing.

"Cool. So I kind of have to talk to you, and I was wondering if perhaps I could meet you somewhere to discuss...business?"

His voice was so smooth... and oh so aggrivating, like an itch.

Knowing Chase, I could make rather rational assumptions about Chester.

And I didn't like where this was going.

____________________________________________________