Chapter 17- Secret Assistant

Chase's Point Of View:

"We need to step up our 'game'." I breathed heavily, staring at the man in front of me. Or, at least trying to.

The dark light in the room set an augur atmosphere, the dimly lit lamp separating him and I appealing more eerie with every second that passed. He was silent for few painfully intense moments before speaking again.

"We?" The man seethed. "So far I've had no part in this, nor do I have the knowledge of who this woman is." He leaned closer, the light brushing his familiar blond features. "All I know is what you've done so far."

"I didn't fly all the way out to New York for this." I said to myself in my head. I hadn't expected him to be this way towards the situation.

I took a breath in. Why was it suddenly so difficult to talk to someone I know so well?

I continued speaking.

"Chester is no longer of assistance to me." I narrowed my eyes at the man, swallowing hard in attempt to maintain a composed demeanor. "I am ashamed to call him my brother."

"What are you, a general?" The man snickered distastefully, a new side of him showing.

"I'll help you when you give me the full picture. Who this woman is and what she's done, not just a woman you want to destroy." He spat. "Give me reason. You're on my time."

"What are you, quoting Jesse Eisenberg?" I retorted.

"Off topic." He said dryly. "Go on."

"What more do you want? You're already informed about her stubbornness towards our little deal that she broke off without my authorization. That should be enough. Unless you want details of the relationship, like the sex-"

"Chase, my children are sleeping in the next room. Have some decency will you?" He shook his head. But fine. I will assist you in your needs, to whatever extent they may be, you've pestered me long enough. Hand over the papers."

I grinned deviously as I slid the papers across the table to him, and watched as he authorized his signature where needed.

Mark Middleton was neatly printed in a fine italicizes signature.

"Thank you Mark." I snatched the papers out of his hands and placed them in my briefcase. "You wont regret this. You never really liked Tamila Dastanos anyway."

I stood up and turned around to leave his dimly lit office when a hand roughly shoved my shoulder, spinning me forward to face my now very angry friend.

"Tamila Dastanos, my fellow alumni and friend?" Rage was alive, flickering blue fire in his eyes. His grip tightened on my shoulder.

Expect the unexpected, you know what they say.

I didn't have time to react, let alone, speak.

"Give me the papers. Now!" Mark pressed, giving me a look that made my insides churn.

"Mark, buddy-" I laughed nervously. "Look you know how I am and-"

"Yeah. I know now you're a conniving piece of shit!" He roared. "Shred those papers now. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to finalize that filthy scheme of yours!"

"Mark, I should get going." I tried to slip out but Mark apparently had other plans when a cold fist connected with my face, sending me tumbling to the ground, my body slamming into a bookcase in the room and my briefcase slipping out of my hand.

My already blurred vision became more disrupted as I wiped my eyes to regain my vision, seeing Mark opening my briefcase and fumbling through the papers.

Infuriated and now sore, I used the remaining strength and energy to lift my leg, and kick my foot, which made friends with Mark's little buddy.

"Oomph!" Mark winced and dropped the papers to hold where I hit, which I took advantage of, crawling on the floor and grabbing the briefcase and papers before shooting up, but being knocked down by Mark's foot.

"Asshole!" Mark seethed, still breathing heavy from the hit. "Give. Me. Those. Papers!"

He lay pinning me down in a very awkward position. I jerked my knee up and said hello to his little friend once again.

"Dick!" Mark groaned loudly and released the papers, which I snatched in the nick of time, standing up and running out the office door, then his front door, tuning out his profanities and curses he was bellowing at me and slamming the doors shut. I raced to the elevator in the apartment complex, catching it just in time before the doors closed.

Well that escalated quickly.

I leaned back against the elevator, taking in soft breaths and admiring my reflection in the glass doors. There was a bruise where Mark's fist was, which I knew would be prominent in the morning. My dress pants were covered in wrinkle and dust and my tie had loosened. I looked like a disaster.

"That bastard. I knew I never should have asked his sad motherfucking ass for help!" I yelled loudly as I looked to the ceiling.

The elevator ding broke my thoughts and I grumbled cursed as I dragged myself out the complex door and hailed yet another cab.

"Where to? The man yelped as I sluggishly tossed myself in the beat up ford.

"Trump Tower, 5th Avenue." I breathed, slumping into the soft leather of the seats.

"Wait a second, you're Chase Dembling!" The driver smiled.

Aw, fuck. Not again!

"What is it with taxi drivers finding me on the worst of my days?" I snapped at the man.

He gave me a once over. "Well a guy like you usually doesn't take a cab, but seeing how you look right now..." The man smirked slyly, meeting his gaze to mine.

"Just shut up and drive." I rolled my eyes.

"So you like pop music, Mr. Dembling?" He chuckled, and he was getting on my nerves.

"NOW!" I glared at the driver.

The driver flinched before hitting the gas and the lights of New York City became nothing more than an array of blurry colors and street lights.

______________________

A/N: Short Update but thanks for the reads!

-AosLangeles