Landed

Devronica

I woke up, and glanced at my phone. We had 20 minutes left on the plane. I looked over at August, and he was bobbing his head to a song.
The small talk that we made was fun, and I wanted to continue our conversation somehow. Even though I couldn't hear any music, I started bobbing my head. He looked at me, and took off his headphones.

"Um, what da hell you doing?"

I kept bobbing my head to make him laugh. "I'm trying to be kinda fly, like you." He smiled, and then laughed.

"Well, it's not working. You look like you bout ta break ya neck," he said while laughing.

"Whatever little boy," I said, while folding my arms.

He shook his head. "Do you have something on your mind?"

He sucked his teeth. "I know you don't talk like dat. You a Sherveport guh, and they don't talk like dat. I'm not gon judge you by the way you talk. You hea my accent? I ain't scared ta show it."

I'm glad he didn't hide his accent. It was something that fit his persona very well. "To be totally honest, I do have an accent. I moved to the suburbs 5 years ago, and I have to hide it in order to fit in. I'm from the ghetto, and I like where I'm from, but other people don't. I had to fix my talk, and my walk. I'm lowkey bo-legged."

August chuckled, and then took something out of his pocket. "You want a peppament?"

I looked at him in shock. "Nigga, I just gave you my whole biography, and you go ask me do I want a peppament?"

He burst out laughing. "I knew dat accent was gon come out. I heard it a lil bit earlier. I barely acknowledged it tho. You fareal want a peppament tho?"

I plucked him in the head, and snatched the peppermint out of his hand. "So, since you didn't get off the plane yet, I'm assuming you're going to Canada too."

He nodded. "Yeah, I'm going Toronto ta see my granny fa a bit. I miss her, and I thought I would spend a la time with ha."

It found it nice that he cared about his family. Most guys aren't like that, and it made me disgusted. If you don't have family, what do you have? "It's nice that you care about your grandma. I'm going to Toronto to spend some time with my best friend. We've known each other for years, and have never met."

He cracked a smile. "Well, since we going ta the same place, we should hang out or sum sometime. I know ya want to. If you didn't, you wouldn't have been flirting with me earlier, la guh."

I smiled, and covered my mouth. "Okay, give me your number, and I'll give you mine."

"I hope yo ass don't plan on playin me. I know how y'all light skins work," he said while laughing.

"I'm not going to play you, August," I said while we put our numbers in each other's phone.

We talked for about 5 more minutes, and the plane worker announced that we had landed.

August and I walked off the plane together. "I'll text you when I make it to my destination," I said as we stood there.

"Alright den. We'll make plans." He looked at me, and looked around. He pretended to cough.

I knew he wanted a hug, and I wanted to give him one. I just didn't want him to think I was thirsty. I held out my arms, and he jogged into them. He was so tall, and I was so short.

"You so little."

"Whatever, little boy." My phone rang, it was Lani. I quickly answered it. "Jelani, I'm at the airport. Are you here yet?"