I Like Getting to Know You

Devronica in MM

Devronica (Dev-Roni-Ca)

I laid down, and looked at the ceiling. Tonight was a great night with August. I took a speedy shower because I know he's going to call me in a bit. Just as my eyes were about to close, my phone rang. I let it rang twice, and answered it. "Hello?"

"Did I wake ya up? I could call tomorrow if ya was sleepin."

I knew he was sleepy because his voice was raspy. It made the phone call even better. "Nah, I'm up. What you doing, monkey?"

"Look la girl, I ain't no damn monkey. You betta stop callin me names befo you get ya issue," he said while laughing.

"Oh so you go be the one to pop me? I know not."

"Awe, so you tryna be bold huh? I could show ya how ta be bold."

My mind wandered to a place that it shouldn't have. I need to take it down a couple of notches. "Boy, what and ever. So, what are you doing tomorrow?"

He puffed through the phone. I already know what he was about to say. "Stop tryin ta ask me on dates. I'm tryin ta ask ya on one, but you keep messing up a nigga plans."

I laughed. It was cute that he expressed how much he wanted to go on a date with me. I wasn't asking him on one. Just wanted to know what he was doing. "August, I'm not messing up anything. I'm not even asking you on a date, I just wanted to know what's the move for you tomorrow."

"Oh, I see. Some what's the move. You wanna be hood so bad. Anyway, I'm going ta the park tomorrow. You can come if ya want. I would like if ya come tho," he said. I could tell that he was smiling by the way he was talking.

"Of course."

"So, where ya friend at?"

I sighed. I came down here to spend time with Jelani, but she's not even here. "I don't know. I guess she's still out with Chris."

"They was having fun in dat back room earlier," he said while laughing.

"I know, that's not even her boyfriend. Her boyfriend is out of town right now. He'll be back tomorrow morning. He's seems like a genuinely nice person."

"She really cheating on da boy like dat? Damn, dat ain't even right. Speaking of cheating, what's the point of it? I would neva cheat on my girl. If I don't wanna be in the relationship no mo, I'm just go leave."

I smiled. I respected the way he felt about cheating because, I felt the same exact way. "I know what you mean. I've never been cheated on because, I've only been in one serious relationship, and the boy was faithful."

"What was he like?"

"Well, his name is Micah. He's one out of 3 of my closest friends. He's been there for a long time. We met at school, and clicked instantly. We went out for a year, and 7 months." I reminisced about the times that Micah and I had together as a couple. It was great.

"What happened between y'all?"

"His mom passed away, and he took out all his anger on me. No, he never hit me. He just was angry all of the time. I understood that his mom was gone, but I was only trying to be there for him, and he was mad at me for it. I broke up with him, and he cried for me. I just couldn't take it, but we remained friends. We're still very close."

"Well I'm sorry fa what happened between y'all. I'm not go lie tho, I'm glad y'all broke up."

We talked until we both fell asleep.

The next morning.

I dressed simple for the day at the park with August. I was mad at Jelani. She totally abandoned me last night. I walked into the living room to grab my bag off of the table. Jelani was sitting on the couch with her boyfriend, Quincy. He got up to give me a hug.

"Wow, you're smaller in person," Quincy said while giving me a hug.

"I get that a lot," I said while walking towards the door.

"Where you going?"

"Why should you care? You're the one that left me here last night," I said, slamming the door.

I got into the car, and drove to the park that August told me to go to. When I arrived, I spotted August sitting on a bench near a tree. I got out of the car, and walked over to him.

He looked up and smiled. He stood, and hugged me tight. "Hi, August."

"Hey. You know we at da park, right? We not at a restaurant," he said while turning me around.

I grinned. "La boy, I always dress like dis, so watchu talm bout?" I showed my accent on purpose cause I knew he liked it.

He smiled and kissed my forehead. "I like when you talk like dat. Keep it up."

I playfully made a disgusted facial expression, and wiped my forehead. "Don't be putting your lips on me, I don't know where they have been."

"Awe, so you got jokes na, huh?"

"I might have a good few. They have anywhere to eat around here?" I had planned on eating at the house, but I never got to it.

"Yeah, dey have a lil food truck down tha path."

We walked to the food truck that was a little ways down the path. The window was sorta high so I had to get on my tip-toes. I felt August grab the bottom of my legs and lift me up a bit. I ordered quickly because, I didn't want him to drop me. He stood up all of the way until I was sitting on his shoulder so he could face the man at the window. After he ordered, he put me down. "August, make me slap you."

He chuckled. "Awe, da baby was scared."

"Nigga, I ain't no baby," I said, while playfully punching him.

"Watch I throw ya across da street. Ya already know ya ass weigh .5 pounds," he said while laughing hardly.

I burst out laughing. I'm really small, but I got the cakes. I'm jus saying.

***
Hey y'all. How y'all been?

The next chapter will be 2 or 3 weeks later. That'll make the book my interesting.

Follow me on Instagram: @caramel._mocha