o n e

Songs for this chapter:

You Found Me- The Fray
Bobbi Androv- War is love
****

Adam's P.O.V.

My hands are aching to break something but I keep them shoved in my jeans pocket instead. When I meet her eyes, I lose it. I grab the first thing that's in reach and slam it to the wall. And the rest follows.

When she sobs, my heart shatters. I need to get out of here before I do or say anything stupid. Fuck.

I grab my jacket and keys and head out. I can't look at her. She's my weakness and I need to get my head straight. So, I walk by her, slamming the door shut from behind. I take two stairs at a time, get in my car, and drive.

The music is blasted on the radio and I'm driving over hundred.

When she said the words, I couldn't believe it. That's what she was struggling to always say. That's why she never said anything because she knew that I would turn on my brother.

That fucking bastard.

Before I know it, I'm speeding my way to his house and knocking on the door heavily. He opens up and I immediately pin him toward the wall. "What did you do?" I say between my teeth as anger pumps in my veins. He doesn't reply.

"What did you do?" I shout at him as my chest rises.

"Keep your voice down," he orders. I feel fuelled with gasoline and I'm burning.

"Answer my God damn question!" He flashes me a look of sympathy. What does he expect me to do? Pat him on the shoulder? He ruined my future. He deserves what's coming.

"Don't you have a seed of decency planted in your heart?" My jaw tenses and my eyes turn to slits. "Do you even have a fucking heart?" I yell at him and he flinches. I tighten my hold and pin him closer to the wall.

He breaks away from my grip and shuts the door close. Afterwards, he sighs and rubs his forehead with frustration. "She was lying, Adam," he says. "I'm your brother. Believe me! There's more to it." The corners of his mouth tug as he struggles to stay put. His eyes dim in color and for the first time, I'm actually seeing who he really is. It's disappointing and unpredictable. I can't believe he used me for a bet to make Lesley stay quite about his dirty little secret.

I take few steps toward him, the wooden floor cricking underneath my feet and spit to his face. He raises his hand to wipe it off from his cheek and return with a look of disgust.

"After everything I heard coming out of your mouth, you still have the dignity to lie. You're pathetic!"

He shoves me backward. I look up at him, startled.

"What are you going to do about it, eh? Tell the police?" He chuckles.  "Go ahead!" he shouts as he points toward the door. "It will be my word against her's. And then we will see who will win."

A smirk stretches on my face and I feel him getting intimidated. "If that happens, then you better bring it all. Because Lucian, you see, I won't let you hurt her," I threaten.

"You're turning your back on your only brother because of some girl?" he laughs. "I wonder what mom would've felt about it. Turning your back on your own family!"

"She's my family now. And don't you dare bring mom into this subject because after what you did, she would be utterly disappointed with you. As a matter of fact, maybe even disgusted." I turn and head out. I hear him calling after me. I choose to ignore because staying an extra few minutes in there means that I will definitely injure him.

As I'm making my way down, Jeremy enters the building. Without hesitation, I speed my way toward him and slam my fist to his jaw. He chokes out, his blue eyes widening. "What the hell?"

I kick him in his stomach and he groans. "Stop it, Adam," he begs. I cut him off with an adamant shake of my head. I hold him from his shirt and lift him up, shoving him toward the entrance door. The glass makes a breaking sound and he whines in return. I loosen my grip on him a bit. "Don't you ever mess with me again because I will turn your life into a living hell," I say and drop him on the floor. He crawls to get up but I leave him there and get in my car.

I welcome the coldness of the leather seat on my skin and lean back letting go of a sigh. My adrenaline rush is high and I need to break something. I grip the steering wheel hard making my knuckles turn white. After I alter my heavy breathes, I turn the ignition on and speed away.

The night is filled with silence with an endless expanse of stars in the sky. I slit the window open and let the warmth of the air fill the car.

You raped that poor girl.

Lesley's voice echoes in my mind and I step on the gas.

She killed herself afterwards.

Lights blink in my direction and I swerve the car to the right as a truck honks its horn at me. I park the car on the side of the road and slam the steering wheel hard. I run my hand through my hair, frustrated. My phone buzzes and I choose to ignore it.

What the hell am I supposed to do now? I still can't believe she hid such a secret from me. She looked me in my eyes everyday, and never said it. I did. I said it.

Every time her hazel eyes stroked mine, I felt guilty for not admitting about the bet that Lucian provoked for obvious reasons that all clear to me now. But I don't regret it because if it wasn't for that bet, I wouldn't have met her. I wouldn't get to witness when her cheeks redden when I make a sassy remark. Or when she puffs when I annoy her, forming a small crinkle on her forehead. Or when she tortures me with her curves, knowing how I tick. Or simply as loving someone unconditionally.

I need to get my head straight. I need to stay away from her. Knowing now that every time she looked at me she gets reminded by Lucian, I want to stay away. Because getting her out of her misery means more to me than my own misery.

I grab my phone and Lesley's name pops up on my screen. I press cancel and dial Spencer instead. He picks up on the second ring.

"Adam?" He seems surprised. Ofcourse he is, I never would've called him. I have a group of friends but all they do is sleep around and disrespect woman by harassing them. I don't. Woman harass me, and I allow them. Simple as that.

"Yeh, man. Look I need a favor from you." I rub my eyes.

"Shoot," he says.

"I need a place to crash," I say through the phone.

"Oh. What? Love went down the hill?" He mocks.

"I'll spare you the details."

"No. Go ahead. I'm all ears," he says.

"Spencer..." I warn. I hear him chuckle over the phone. "You two are unpredictable."

"Just forget it," I cut him off. I don't need someone to keep pressing on the wound any further.

"No," he clears his throat. "No, I'm sorry. I'll text you my address," he says and hangs up.