e i g h t e e n

"I loved her against reasons, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all the discouragement that could be." —Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
***

Adam's P.O.V

I couldn't tell her. Seeing the smile on her face wiped away all the things I wanted to say. And yesterday... yesterday was great. Except the part where she almost drowned and took the life out of me. I could be so reckless but how could I foreshadowed that this would happened? I was mad at myself for being mad at her. That women is going to be the end of me.

After the lake, we went back to the tree house, cuddled with the blanket and pillows I scattered on the floor and she let me have her. And I showed her how much I love her through my body.

The sun lights through the window irritating my pupil. I groan and toss around but when I do, I don't find Lis. I stand up so fast the world starts to spin. After anchoring myself with reality, I go out of the tree house. But before descending down, I find her standing on the tiny platform on the side of the tree. Her arms are crossed and head tilted high as she allows the sun to glow her skin.

She's. So. Fucking. Beautiful.

I just want her to stand as she is and let her be my muse as I write a song about her. She would be a beautiful lyric. She peeks through her lashes and finds me standing there, looking like a creep. A grin stretches on her face. "Good morning."

"It's definitely a good morning," I say. She blushes and I smile. I love that I still have that affect on her.

"Let's go on a date," I tell her. Her eyebrows strike up, "a date?"

"Yeh. We barely have those."

She inhales a deep breath and exhales. "Oh. My. God. Is the actual Adam Reindl asking me out on a date?" She sounds like a fan girl as she squeals. "Like the actual Adam Reindl?" She fake jumps from excitement but only stops as she notices that the platform won't hold as long. I roll my eyes but can't help smiling in return. "Yeh, yeh. I am." I join her on the platform, our lips several inches away. I smoother my thumb across her lips down to her jaw and arm. She stiffens under my touch and the irony she had seconds ago, disappears.

"Would you go on a date with me?" I ask her as I inch closer, feeling her breath on my skin. She doesn't reply but when she looks down at my lips, I know she wants me. I smirk. "Would you?" I tease her.

"Yes," she clears her throat. "I would."

I break the distance and her eyes widen. "The score is 1-1. I'm still counting." I smile. Last night, she had my wrapped in her fingers and I couldn't believe she teased me like that. "She pouts and puffs. "And," I stop before entering the tree house, "you might go on a date with me, but I'll think about it."

She groans. "You're such an asshole. When will you stop with that sick joke of yours." I hear her saying behind the wooden walls. I immediately run back to her, sweep her off, and plant my lips on hers. She resists at first but when I grab her ass, her lips part and I pleasingly dig my tongue in between. She moans and I want to her that again. So I carry her to the house and pin her to the wall. She gasps. I break the kiss as we both breath heavily. "I'm your asshole." She searches my eyes and nods.

I want her. I need her.

God, I want her all mine and I won't let anyone hurt her. Nor Lucian or even her father. To the thought of that, I retract from the kiss and she stands there eyeing me curiously as she breaths uncontrollably.

I'm betraying her.

I run a hand through my hair, pulling hard. "We should leave. It's almost midday and we have classes."

She doesn't say anything. Instead she walks by my, grabs her purse and climbs down without a word. And silence fills the whole walk back to our cars.

"Lis?" I call out for her before entering her car. "I'll see you at home, Adam." She slams the door shut, turns the ignition onn and drives away. I watch as she leaves, climb into my car and follow her.

When I arrive, she's already out of the car and in her elevator. My blood runs cold. She could see him. He could be right behind these walls. I sprint inside and catch up right before the elevator door slides shut. She steps aside and I enter.

Silence.

She's giving me the silent treatment and its torture. I want her to lash out, hit me or anything but never to hold it all in. She's destroying herself and myself along with her.

"You've changed." She says as the elevator dings open and steps outside. I follow her. "Changed?"

She turns the door knob and enters. "You're keeping something from me and I want to know what."

I gulp down. "I'm not." Lie, keep lying.

"One time you're happy for my intern and the second you're mad it's far from here." She's speaking with her hands. "One time you're in a playful mood, joking, kissing and the second, you just stop all of it in a sudden. Why did you stop?"

I sigh. What am I supposed to tell her? She's right in every word that escaped her full lips. "Lis, it's not like that-"

She cuts me off. "I know, I know. You've got a lot on your plate. But guess what? So do I."

I chuckle. "Not even close."

She crosses her arms. "What is that supposed to mean, Adam?"

"Nothing." I gulp down.

"Answer me!" Her voice starts rising.

And so does mine. "I said there is nothing to tell! Stop constantly nagging waiting for some reply when there actually isn't any."

She takes a step closer and she puffs. I can tell she's holding everything in and I'm not doing a great job helping. "Why are you acting this way?" Her voice starts to shake and she's on the verge of crying. "I know you, okay? And I can tell there's something off." She lets out a long breath as goosebumps arise on her skin. Tears well up in her eyes and she swallows them back. "I love you, Adam."

"I love you, Lis. Please don't cry." How long will I be able to hide this from her? She's my weakness and a lot of guilt is weighing upon my shoulders at this moment. Especially since I'm looking through her golden eyes and lying.

She clears her throat, shutting herself off. "When you're ready to talk. Just know I'm here."

"There's nothing!" This is so frustrating and I groan.

This woman is driving me mad.

My phone beeps in my pocket and I dig it out. I open the text I got from the lawyer.

June 25. The date is set.

My jaw tenses and I grip the phone tighter as my stomach goes hallow. Lesley notices my shift in behavoir as she frowns. "What is it?" She asks.

I inhale deeply. "The judge set a date. It's happening." I exhale. "And very soon."