f o u r t y - f i v e

"When you loved someone and had to let them go, there will always be that small part of yourself that whispers, "What was it that you wanted and why didn't you fight for it?" -Shannon L. Alder
***

Lesley's P.O.V

one year and four months later

My heels click on the concerete floor until I hit the grass, sinking deeper. From a distance, a crowd of people dressed in black are surronded in a circle. My stomach is killing me. I already vomited more than once today, I don't think I can bare it anymore. Megan called me earlier this morning, allowing all the bad news to sink in. I couldn't stop crying.

I spot Barry from a distance and without hesitation he takes me in for a hug. My whole body shivers but relaxes as he rubs my tiny back. I might not have known him for long, but I knew atleast that he meant a great deal for him. "Lis, he's here." He whispers in my ear. Before I peel my eyes open, it lands directly on Lucian. I stiffen. "He was on good behavior and refused to miss the funeral. In the end, his lawyer cut a deal for two hours. Don't worry though, there are police surronding the cemetery." I scan it landing on two police cars parked at two opposite edges. I nod at him. He half smiles and walks away toward Megan. They've been dating for over a year now and I couldn't be happier for her. Megan peeks at me through her lashes, wanting to walk toward me but I cut her off with an adamnt shake of my head. She nods, understanding my hesitation. 

A slight breeze hits and my body erupts with goosebumps. I feel sick again. My heart almost stops as I spot him. The messy hair is combed back into a sleek bun and his green eyes shine more than the emeralds. The heavy bags under his eyes weigh more than the weigh on his shoulder.

I. Can't. Stop. Staring.

His eyes lock mine across a great amount of distance and his face falls. one...two...three...four...five...six. I wish the world would crack and swallow me whole right at this moment. His gaze falls to the ring around my finger, that feels tighter than ever, and in return he places a hand on Spencer's shoulder, holding himself up. Several tears escape and I'm silently wheezing. He turns around and practically runs away to the shade of trees on the end of the cemetery. Megan instantly runs at me and hugs me.

I weep.

A hand is placed on my back and when I let go of Megan to turn around, I find Spencer. I hug him instantly. "Oh, I missed your skinny ass."

"It's not skinny anymore," Megan says from behind. They both managed to place a hint of a smile across my face. "Gained ten kilos," I state.

"In all the right places," Spencer winks at me. I adjust my dress as it hugs around my curves.

"We should go; the funeral is starting," Megan announces.

Before walking, I turn to Spencer. "Go stay beside him. He needs you more than I do." He nods at me and plants a kiss on my cheek. Megan entangles her hand in mine as we walk. I stand three rows back, watching from a distance. Lucian walks straight up to the casket to deliver his eulogy. His body is more musclar than ever but the fatigue under his eyes tells me the opposite. He's holding up well.

"It's a shame now, don't you think, father?" He rubs his eyes. "I'm standing here, talking to you with handcuffs surronding my wrist?" My eyes fall to the rusty metal. "I know I have done more wrong than good but I hope that you'll find it in your safe haven to forgive me. Ever since mom left us, it felt as if you did aswell. I had to takecare of Adam, make sure he grows to be the man that has nothing in common with his brother. And he did grow, father. Mom would be proud of him," he says as he locks eyes with Adam. Adam's jaw tenses as his mouth forms a line. His hand is abruptly shaking. It's painful, watching him over a distance, as the sun sets and the night turns grey.