t h i r t y - t w o

For larash97 xx
***
Songs for this chapter:

The Habits of my heart- James Young
Close- Nick Jonas

***
"The day that man allows true love to appear, those things which are well made will fall into cofusion and will overturn everything we believe to be right and true." -Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy

***
Adam's P.O.V

Shes handling it better than I thought she would.

Coming to think of it again, she's not handeling it at all.

She blinks. Once. Twice. Three times. I even caught a glimpse of her rubbing her eyes, trying to make sure that she isn't being deceived.

But that only causes my heart to squeeze. If you care about someone why would you put them in such a place?

I couldn't handle the burden no longer. And it's not even my burden to carry. But if she wants me to, I will carry it until my last breaths.

"Adam?" Lesley calls out for me and I immediately stand by her side. Trenton and Maria are both staring back, taken off guard.

The silence is loud.

She chuckles. I frown and turn at her. Her cheeks are wet and her eyes are red.

"He grew a beard." She points at him and laughs. And I die little by little.

I hold her close but she pushes me away. I want to say all the words she's thinking right now but I did enough so far. I was trying to help but dammit if I didn't fucking things over.

Trenton steps closer as shock fills his eyes. "Oh, how much I missed you."

And then is where it happens. That's when I see it. The pain turning to anger.

"Missed. Me? But how can you miss me when you're supposed to be dead!" She breaks.

"I can explain," he defends.

She opens her mouth to speak but then shuts it close, refusing to admit that she actually wants to hear him out.

I step closer. "Then explain," I demand.

From the corner of my eye, Kyan is standing behind us, crossing his arms. He should probably leave. This isn't any of his business. I turn my head and nod at him. He nods back, making sure that everything is alright as he declines the stairs.

"Go ahead. We are waiting."

I feel Lesley stiffen beside me.

"There's no easy way to come out and say it," he struggles. Lesley is eye to eye strong locked with Maria. Fire is steaming out of her skin and I know who she blames. I guess Trenton can see that as well because he dismisses her. "Maria, may you give us a moment?"

She debates at first as she paces between Lesley and Trenton but then walks inside. I step closer to her but instead of pushing me away, she allows it.

"You died," she spits through her teeth.

"I was about to," he explains. "But I didn't."

"Obviously." She crosses her arms. "And what now? You're with her? Your bestfriend? What about Mom. How can you do this to her? To me?"

"I had to leave Lesley. You don't understand."

"You're right. I don't. I specifically don't understand why you have a son! Other than Harry!" She starts yelling. "Do you have any idea what we've been through? I can't even believe you're right in front of me. You're dead!"

"The reason I left is because of my son." He sighs. "Max was suffering chronic lung disease. He was born almost nine weeks before his due date."

"Why?" She asks.

"Because," he catches a breath. "Maria was dying."

My tensed shoulder relax and so does Lesley's. I don't know if we should look at him for pity or anger.

"Her ovaries were failing. She had cancer and it was eating it's way up to the fetus, to Max. We had no other way, she was supposed to be treated right away before it accumulates and Max had to suffer for five horrible years having on going respiratory issues.

We got through it now."

She arches an eyebrow. "We? As in your family."

"I had to leave, Lesley. You have to understand that."

"No," she interjects. "I don't understand why you had to leave."

"Because I had no other choice!"

"Speak up, Trenton." I threaten.

He rubs his forehead. "She was pregnant with my son."

"Stop talking," she orders.

"And I couldn't stay because your mother would have never forgiven me that I had an affair," he goes on.

"I said stop talking!" She yells. She's shaking.

"You left your family for another family. When if only you explained it to us, then we would be the ones making the decision, not you. But you know what, dad?" She spits out the last part. "You're still dead to me."

His hazel eyes turns blank. And as much as I want to admit that he deserves it, she inherited her eyes from her father. And I'm just standing there as I watch her run down the stairs.

It's happening again. A close person hurting the other. Just like Lucian did to me. I understand that everyone makes mistakes, but not that big. Those are called choices.

I follow. I practically jump all the stairs to catch up with her. When I'm at the parking, she's already in my car driving away. I throw myself at her, making her slam the brakes. I come to her side but the doors are locked.

"Lesley," I beg. "Open the door."

She slits the window open. "Leave me alone, please." Her voice is fragile, too weak. Her eyes are swollen and I want to kiss the pain away.

"I'm not going to."

"I need to breath. And having you impatiently with me will only cause me to go mad. Which honestly, I'm quiet feeling that way. Because to me, I just saw a ghost- a ghost with no conscious."

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I kept this from you. But the reason I did was for this not happen. The last thing I want is for you to be hurt." She shakes her head. "God dammit, you're everything to me. Don't leave," I beg.

"I'll see you soon," she says as she looks away.

She drives away.

I punch the floor. Hard. Causing it to split open my hand. I let the pain evolve, focusing on something else. When it goes numb, I stomp my way back up and thud on Trenton's door. He opens.

"Call Maria right now or help me God if I wont make you suffer."

He just nods. Seconds later, she's at his side.

"I want to know everything," I spit out. "And starting with why you shot her," I demand.

From the horrific look on Trenton's face, I can tell that he didn't know she did that.