n i n e t e e n

Shoutout to larash97  for requesting another chapter update. xx

***
"If you ever have need of my life, come and take it." Anton Chekhov, The Seagull
***

Lesley's P.O.V

"Say cheese!" My mother squeals as the flash comes straight into my eye. I look away.

"I think you took enough pictures," Bob interrupts my mother by grabbing the camera from her hand. I smile at him for rescuing me. He nods.

"I just can't believe my daughter is graduating." She reaches for a strand of my short brown hair and tucks it behind my ears. I can see tears welling up in her blue eyes and I flash help for Harry. "Help me out here."

"Mom," he tucks at the hem of her dress. "We should find our seats. The ceremony is about to start."

They make their way to the crowd across the field. On cue, Spencer and Megan walk toward me both dressed up in their caps and gowns. My eyes search all around, trying to spot Adam. I can't find him, which is only driving my senses mad. We drove here together and suddenly he's out of sight.

"Hey," Spencer takes me in for a hug. I back away as I scan his robe. "Do I even want to ask?"

He grins. "Nop." Megan rolls her eyes. "He took my advice though. Wore some underwear." I chuckle.

An arm slides around my waist and I stiffen as Adam plants a kiss on my cheek. "Sorry," he apologizes. "Ran a little late."

Spencer locks eyes with him as he nods as if they're on to something. I let it be. For now. After that we are guided to our seats as we watch the ceremony begin. The vice-chancellor engages the stage and to the podium as he gives a speech about life and the future. All the faculties stand and applause as he exists the stage. What follows are different council and jury members who elect their speech to us. And when the dean takes the stage, I feel Adam stiffen next to me.

The law suit was filled in private as in the public isn't aware of the matter. Adam wanted that and I respected it. But now, Lucian received the warning and he knows in several weeks, life will change. So he stands a bit taller as he starts to call out our names in order.

Jennet Andy ...

Megan Denver... Adam, Spencer, and I cheer for her from the top of our lungs as she walks.
Harper Grau...

Lesley Parker ... No way in hell I couldn't stop smiling as I watched my family stand from their seats and applause. Or when Adam yelled, "that's my girl." But when I reached Lucian, my smile faded. I had to shake his hand. How was I supposed to touch him?

Adam's P.O.V

I can see the hesitation drawn all over her body. He's staring at her, a grin spread all over his face. I want to run up the stage and hide her, protect her. But he won't do anything stupid, there are cameras and people everywhere. He cares about his reputation more than anything. I keep watching as she lightly shakes his hand in disgust and takes the diploma. He says something between his teeth and my jaw tenses. She nods and walks away back to our seats. I want to know what he said but she's seated half way from me. This is so frustrating.

Spencer Peters ... I stand up from my seat and so does Lesley as we clap. Several names are called out and mine is up... Adam Reindl

I walk as fast as I can. Not because of excitement, I already have a well paid job cut out for me and this diploma just adds to the things I won't need now. But because I want to know what he mumbled to Lesley between that mouth of his. He's wearing a navy blue suite with a light blue tie that pops his green eyes out. It's the familiarity that is haunting me, like now I smile at him forgetting what even happened. But it comes crashing down and my shoulders tense. I grab his hand, shaking it way tighter than expected. He manages to keep a smile on his face as he says, "I received the invitation."