t h i r t y - s e v e n

Songs for this chapter:

I cant make you love me - Bonnie Raitt/Adele
Lauv- Reforget
James Young & Phoebe Ryan-  We wont
***

Lesley's P.O.V

I let the coldness of the water drown me as I lean back and swallow. It washes out the bitter taste. The bathroom tile was too familiar as I emptied my stomach from today's earlier breakfast.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I dart my eyebrows to Spencer who's skeptically staring at me. I wipe my mouth with the back of my sleeve as I gesture to the white plastic cup in my hand. "Drinking water?"

"You took your fifth amendment? What where you thinking?" He crosses his arms.

I sigh. "I'm tired, Spence. Okay? Besides, we have a couple of days before hearing out the verdict." I walk pass him but it's only seconds until I hear him jog beside me.

"Are you hungry? I heard about this amazing Lebanese restaurant of a five minutes walk from here." I scan him as I scowl. He seems better. Riley hasn't showed up like everyone expected him to, but Spencer seemed relieved.

I shake my head. "I'll walk with you, but I won't eat. I need the air."

"Sure, sure. You'll change your mind once you try their hummus." He places his hand around my shoulder as he guides me outside the court house. I freeze once we are out. Adam is leaning on his car, a fag in his hand as he stares at the ground. I hide behind Spencer immediately.

"What? You think you will magically disappear? Last time I checked you weren't Cinderella." He looks at me from above.

I duck and hold Spencer by the waist as I make him walk forward, taking the right side of the street to hide. "If we walk fast, he won't notice." 

"He isn't noticing but people are. They think you are sniffing my ass."

I crinkle my nose. "Ew."

When we are half way there, my hair on the back of my neck rises. "Lis?"

Don't nickname me!

"Oh, oh. Busted," Spencer winks at me. I roll my eyes. "Shut up."

I stand tall and turn around slowly. And that's when I get to look at him- really look at him. His cuffs are undone and the tie is loosened up. His hair folds into thick black waves matching his unshaved beard. And those green eyes are inescapable. My mouth turns dry.

"Hi," he says as he shifts his weight on the other leg.

I'm struggling with my words but Spencer pats me on my back, gesturing me to spit something out. "Hi." My voice comes out squeaky so I clear my throat. One...two...three...four...five...

"How are you?" He pushes. I forget everything. I forget why I'm mad at him. I forget the ring around my finger. All I ask is to run into his arms and bury my nose in his neck, inhaling the scent that I've missed so much. I want to cry but I believe it all evaporated these past days.

Spencer interjects when he notices me silent. "She's doing alright and you?"

I keep staring at those eyes. I can't look away. Why can't I look away?

He takes a moment to reply as he locks his green with my gold. His lips part as his eyes scan my body. I blush instantly. He still has that affect on me. He notices it as well as he smirks.

"I miss her."

No. No. No. My heart aches. Everything aches. I feel tears threatening to escape but I swallow them back.