t w e n t y - o n e

Songs for this chapter:

Immortal- Evanescences
The Fray- Where the Story Ends
***

"When you love something it loves you back in whatever way it has to love."
—John Knowles, A Separate Peace
***

Lesley's P.O.V

I'm walking in the park but the path leads to the lake that Adam took me to. Branches and leaves crush under my feet as I walk on them to the dock. I stare down at the mirror-like water and hazel eyes stare right at me. But these eyes turn into green and before I know it, green eyes are emerging from the water.

It's Lucian.

I walk back. He's half way up. When I feel my leg on edge of the dock, he's facing me. I can feel his poisonous breath on my skin.

"I told you to take care of him." He says with fury.

"I d-did." I stutter. "I still am."

He leans closer and I'm about to fall. I gulp down.

"He lost everything because of you. How can you live with yourself?" He disgustingly say.

"I'm sorry." My voice cracks.

Lucian's face turns into Adam's and my eyes widen. His piercing green eyes have a hint of darkness behind them and my body shivers.

"You destroyed me." His voice comes out with hatred.

"I'm sorry, Adam. I'm sorry."

"It's too late for apologizing." He steps closer and without hesitation, pushes me back.

I'm falling.

I'm falling and I don't know when to stop. My heart is in my throat as images of Aida flashes in the darkness.

"You destroyed my sister." Riley says and I wince.

"You should've said something." Spencer eyes turn black. "Riley left me because of you."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. I didn't know."

"It's all because of you." Megan's image pops up. "He will leave you. Everyone leaves you."

I cover my eyes and shake my head, going hysterical. "I didn't know. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Lesley," Adam's voice echoes in the bias of darkness. "Lesley," his voice changes to concern. "Lis."

My eyes open wide, gasping for air, as Adam stares at me with worry. I sit straight as I rummage my hand through my hair, my cloth feeling soaked with sweat. My chest is rising hard and I lean back. My eyes search my whereabouts and the beige walls and navy sheets, reduces my heartbeats.

One...two...three...four...five...six...seven

"Shh," Adam conceals me. "It's okay. It was a nightmare."

I don't dare look in his eyes. Instead, he opens his arm and I crawl onto his chest as he wraps his arms tight around me. "It was a nightmare," I whisper.

Breath, Lesley. Breathe.

He strokes my hair. "You're safe."

"I'm safe," I whisper back, trying to believe what he is saying.

"I love bunny chocolate. I only eat chocolate if it looks like a cute bunny," he says. What?

"Huh?" I ask, confused. What does this have to do with anything?