f i v e

Songs for this chapter:

I'll be ready when you get here - Bobi Androv
Better than me - Hinder

***
Adam's P.O.V

They have been inside for more than half an hour. I'm pacing across the hallway, my eyes always fixed on the door, waiting for them to come out. What will she tell them? Will she tell them about what Lucian did? I mean, I don't blame her if she does. She kept it hidden for a good amount of time. He enjoyed three years of life that he doesn't deserve. It's time for him to be behind bars. I forgive her if she does say it.

"Why aren't you inside?" Spencer makes his way through the hallway, a tray of coffee and chips in his hands.

"The police are investigating." I grab a cup and drink. I crinkle my nose to the taste.

"Why didn't you interfere? Is she even in a good state to say anything?" He asks, obviously worried of what she might say.

"Is this decaf?" I ask, ignoring his question. He scowls at me. I arch an eyebrow, waiting for him to reply. Instead, he keeps scowling.

I sigh. "I talked to the doctor. She said it's been three days since she's been asleep and they have to continue with the investigation."

"Why didn't you stay with her then?" His voice starts rising.

"Spencer, I tried. I tried everything for them to postpone it for later. They just simply wouldn't accept."

He lets go of a groan. Both our heads jerk in the direction of the door as the officers step out. I race to them, wanting to see Lesley.

"She said she wants to rest," the red head says. My eyebrows frown. "I just want to make sure she's alright," I say and get by them. I hear them talking but my head is elsewhere.

She's laying on the bed like I left her but her sobs immediately fill my ears. I run to her and kiss her. "Lis, please stop crying. Please," I beg. She refuses to look in my eyes as she keeps them shut. I smoothly turn her head in my direction. "Look at me." She shakes her head no.

"I wan't to be lost in your eyes, Lis. So, please, look at me." She let's go of a breath and slowly opens them. Golden eyes with a hint of red stare back at me. I immediately kiss her, crashing my lips on hers. Her shoulders relax.

"Adam, I-"

"Shh," I interrupt her. "You don't have to tell me now. I just wanted to make sure you're alright."

She nods. "I'll be outside if you need me." I weakly smile.

"Can you stay with me until I fall asleep?" She begs. "Please?" My heart breaks a little. She's my weakness.

I kiss her on the forehead and grab a chair. She closes her eyes again and let's go of a sigh. I keep staring at her, never full of her features. She has a small faint scar just above her full pink lips. Her shoulder is wrapped and I can tell by the way she's holding my hand tight, she's still awake.

"I didn't tell them. I lied," She blurts out. I back away, eyebrows frowning. "Why would you do that?"

She looks away. "I didn't want to tell you because I couldn't take this look that you have on your face."

I sigh and try to wipe the emotions from my face.

"I told them I don't know who shot me, which is true. And I didn't bring up Riley. I couldn't do that to him or Spencer. I don't want to be a monster." She starts crying.

"Lis. Sometimes the truth is hard but the truth is right. You might think of yourself as a monster for saying what actually happened but to me," I reach out and smoother my fingers along her jaw. "You're a beautiful monster." She flushes then frowns.

"Is this supposed to be a compliment?" She arches an eyebrow and I laugh.

I plant a kiss on her cheek and let it tingle a bit more. "Rest now. I'll be here."

She nods and closes her eyes. After a while, her breath turns heavier and her grip on my hand loosen. I quietly slip away and search for a pen and paper. I write her a note than turns to a letter, explaining what I did and am doing, and place it on the counter beside her. I might have told her I'm here but now, I have to find Lucian or Riley. I need them to pay.

I take a last glance at her and my worries disappear. I don't know why she didn't flee yet. She might have her secrets and I might too, but being with her makes everything worth it. I let go of a long breath and capture her image, tucking it away in my heart. I step out to find Megan and Spencer in the waiting room. "She's sleeping," I tell them both and turn to leave.

"Adam?" Megan calls out for me. I stop in my tracks.

"What are you doing?" She asks.

I pull my eyebrows together. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, what are you planning to do? And why?" She crosses her arms.

"I need to fix things, Megan. She doesn't deserve this and I wan't them to pay," I honestly reply.

"So, let me get this straight," she frowns. "You want to get justice with your own bare hands?" She eyes me curiously.

I sigh. "I need to do something. And I will start with talking to Lucian."

"I'm pretty sure you won't talk to Lucian," she empathizes. She tucks a strand of her red hair behind her ear. "Did Jeremy have anything to do with this?"

She's looking at me with pain in her eyes. I know she loved him or maybe she still does but I'm not sure if he did. I place my hand on her shoulder. "I'm not sure, Megan. Maybe he did or he didn't but all I know is that he gave Lis and I a lot of headache. I know your heart might be with him, but let your brain process that he is a bad person."

She shrugs. "Love has no restrictions. As much as I try to convince myself he did everything for all the bad reasons, I manage to overlook them for all the other good reasons."

"I thought he had no good reasons." I arch an eyebrow.

"You didn't know him the way I did." She looks down.

I sigh. "Maybe I didn't. But you didn't know him the way I did, either. It's your heart in the end. I can't tell you what you're supposed to do."

She offers a weak smile. "She's lucky to have you."

I smile back. "No. I'm lucky to have her." We stand there for a few seconds and before she walks away I say, "She'll be expecting me when she wakes up," I stroke my hair. "Just tell her that, umm..." I struggle with the words.

"Don't worry about it," she cuts me off. "She will understand." She smiles. I nod.

I head out, getting blinded by the intensity of the sun. After searching for my car in the parking lot, I make my way to Lucian's apartment and park underneath.

And now, I'll wait.