t h i r t y - o n e

Lesley's P.O.V

I walk away.

I practically run.

My heels are stomping my way so I take them off as I run to the street walk. I look around but there isn't any sign of taxis. I hold back a sob.

"Lesley?"

I jerk upon hearing my name.

"Kyan," I say, relieved. "I need you to drive me home. Please. Now." I sound hysterical.

He frowns. "Why are you crying?" He comes closer. "What happened?"

"I-I can't talk or think right now. Just please, drive me." I beg. Without any word, he guides me to his car. I slide in the front seat, allowing the coolness of the leather to distract my thoughts. All I know are theories. They can't be true. None of this can be true. But then why would Adam say something like that to hurt me? He would never hurt me on purpose.

He's Max's father.

How is that even possible? He can't be. I have a brother? No. This is irrational. None of this makes sense.

Who's the mother?

This overthinking is killing me!

I clench my dress ready to rip it off with my bare hands. I cross my legs as I bend down, shutting everything out.

"Lesley. Are you okay?"

"Just drive, Kyan." I shut him off. He turns the radio slightly on to fill the silence.

"I need you to come with me."

"To where?" He arches an eyebrow.

"They won't open up if they see it's me."

"Who?"

My family.

"People." I cut him off. "Please, stop asking questions." I wince.

He doesn't anymore. I let him hold me as he guides me up the stairs. My legs are weak and my face is dead. Kyan keeps staring at me, giving me pity smiles but I look straight. When we reach the third floor, my legs fail me. I fall to the ground. His hand slip right through my back as he holds me up. I can feel his breath on my skin. And my heartbeat accelerates. I look at him and his intense brown eyes are full of worry. His lips are parted and I turn away directly when I notice that I'm staring at his mouth.

He lays me down on the stairs as I sit. I nod at him as he gestures to the door of Max's apartment. I watch as his finger touch the doorbell.

"Stop!" I yell. "No, don't. I'm not ready. I'm not ready." He sits beside me.

He uses his hands to run over my arms, making my shivering disappear. But that only causes it to go worse.

"Lesley?" My eyes open wide as they stare at those shades of green that I love.

"Get away from me!" I order. He runs up the stairs till he's at my side. Kyan backs away.

"You can go now. You did enough," Adam barks at him.

"No." I spit out. "You can go, Adam. Kyan is staying."

"The hell he is."

"Leave. Me. Alone." I'm boiling.

"I'm sorry." He does that puppy dog face.

"You need to go." I look away. He places his hand under his chin turning me toward him, but I keep looking away.

"Lis?" His voice is fragile.

"Go upstairs," I order. When I don't give in he sighs. "If I do, will you follow me?"

"I don't know."

"Promise me you will."

I don't.

"Lis? Please," he begs.

"You should've thought about this before it went this way."

"There wasn't any easy way to come out and say it." He argues.

"Still. You could've told me right away. It just makes you the villain."

He shakes his head. "I'm not the villain. You just want someone to place your rage on instead of your father."

"That's not true."

"No. That's not fair."

I watch as his jaw tenses. Without a blink, he rings the doorbell.

My eyes widen. "Adam. What are you doing?"

He's standing above me, his shirt untucked from his pants and he probably left his blazer in the car. His hands are clenched beside him and he's looking straight, having one goal set to mind. I don't want to keep looking but I do. The door opens up and I suck a breath in.

"Adam? What are you doing? It's midnight." A woman's voice says. I know this voice. I heard it.

"Why did you shoot her?" His jaw is tense.

Shoot me?

Why?

Who?

What?

My hand goes straight to my wound.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she argues back. My mouth is dry and Kyan is spinning in front of me. I'm losing my mind. He comes to me as he holds me.

"Where's Trenton?" Adam pushes. He's almost yelling.

"Jesus. The hell is happening around here?"

I hear a ghost.

I'm drifting away but I tighten my grip on Kyan's wrist. I need to stay awake.

"It's nothing, sweetie. Adam showed up with an attitude and I was just handling it," she says. I want to get up. I need to get up. So I do.

"Maria, he was yelling."

Maria?

"You're not handling it," he pauses. And by he I mean my father. "If it's nothing important, we can discuss it tomorrow."

Adam shakes his head. "As a matter of fact, this can't be postponed. You see, Trenton. I got you your daughter."

There's a long pause.

Way to long. Until he breaks down.

"Lesley?"

I think I'm falling. When Adam turns to me, I can tell that he can see my face drained from life. His anger dissolves into worry as he races to me, holding me. I let him do for a second and then I push him away. And stomp my way to them. I place my bare foot on the cold marbled floor and turn.

And just right there, Trenton and Maria stand.